cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lessons Learned From RV Cover Erection

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously considering having a metal cover build for my trailer and I have read some of the comments about what you might have done differently. So just to refresh my CRS memory, I would appreciate it if there are any thoughts and new experiences .Thanks ED
7 REPLIES 7

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
If building near or under trees pay a little extra and get vertical panels , horizontal panels catch leaves and cause rust and catch seeds causing weeds to grow on roof and worms and critters in the wet leaves .

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
sayoung wrote:
I built ours 45 ft long and 20 wide. Looking back maybe should have gone 24 or more on width. My walls are 15 ft with a 2/12 pitch so clearance isn't an issue.

2/12 is fine with no snow load ! Make sure your carport can handle the snow in your area.

Snow, you talking that white stufff we see every 4/5 years for normally a day , 2 at most. All steel square tubing uprights , I beam rafter, 8 in c purlin, & galvalume roof. Tornado is biggest concern but you just don't think about it
We did have a 100 year winter storm this year but that's not normal.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were good with a 36 foot coach and an 40 ft building. Now, with the 40 footer the building needs to be 50 to keep the rain and Georgia sun and UV damage to a minimum. I have friends who tried save money with side walls only half way to the ground. All say they should have followed my advice. My center bay is 12 wide. Should have made it 16 wide and the side bays 12 each.
I didn't have the $$ at the time, but a 6" slab floor would have been the best thing to do
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
I built ours 45 ft long and 20 wide. Looking back maybe should have gone 24 or more on width. My walls are 15 ft with a 2/12 pitch so clearance isn't an issue.

2/12 is fine with no snow load ! Make sure your carport can handle the snow in your area.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing I learned is to overbuild. If you build for a specific sized current RV, you will need to do it again if you get something larger. We built a 40 foot long cover for our 35 foot MH then two years later bought a 40 foot MH. Needed to expand the cover but couldn't find anyone to do it!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I built ours 45 ft long and 20 wide. Looking back maybe should have gone 24 or more on width. My walls are 15 ft with a 2/12 pitch so clearance isn't an issue. I don't really need the extra width as room to spare with all 3 slides out

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Build it longer, wider and taller than you are planning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad