cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

License plate location ?

Gunther1369
Explorer
Explorer
hi, I just bought a new 2019 camper, graywolf 20rdse, and I noticed that the license plate mount under the tail light is on the passenger side.
I have looked up other graywolf campers and they are on the left or the right, so what side is it suppose to be on, the ones I had in the past were on the drivers side, so does it mater ?

2019 Cherokee Grey Wolf 20RDSE
12 REPLIES 12

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If it really bothers you, google your state vehicle code. It has details on what is required.

Best answer!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Gunther1369
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I know the snow hasnโ€™t melted up der eh, but look for something else to cure your cabin fever. No problem to solve here.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Plastic tap for mounting the license broke one time and I lost the plate. Second time one tab broke and license was dangling on the other. I used two hose clamps and mounted it to the ladder. I do not have a light shining on it at night but I never drive at night.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
display the plate unobstructed in the space provided.

The side does not matter. As RK said it has to be clearly visible.
Right. left, center. low high.. Does not matter (well not too high)
SO long as a cop 500 feet behind you can read the plate. IT has to be LIT at night. so many tail lights have a clear "Window" in the bottom of the assembly and a license plate mount under the window. Others will have a light dedicated to the plate (My RV does)

Had a ton of fun last summer.. Blew a few fuses. one was that lamp. (And others on the circuit).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is on the right side. The ladder is on the left side. Never a problem in 15 years.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Oldmaple
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter where it is. Must be mounted horizontally on the rear of the vehicle and lit when it is dark. The plates are read automatically by a trailing police vehicle and the scanner will find it, wherever it is.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would visit multiple dealers in multiple states to check real life locations. As I'm sure that you are aware ad agencies often reverse pics as the ad layout requires for best presentation negating your research on the matter.
You're kidding, right?
Puma 30RKSS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The plate mounting tabs are usually molded into the base of the light fixture itself, which is the cheapest obtainable, and at some point will probably break off given enough time. What side it is on depends on who installed it more than what side the manufacturer intended for it to be installed. Isaiah Yoder may have put them on the right on Tuesday, but Levi Beiler may have slapped them on the left on Wednesday. Typically the light is just part of the cover / lens and interchangeable between the two.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it really bothers you, google your state vehicle code. It has details on what is required.

But 99.9999% chance it's fine, it's legal and no one will ever question it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The plate goes under whichever taillight has the license plate light shining out from it. If they both do and both offer an unobstructed view of the plate, I don't think it really matters which side it goes on...but I believe typically only one trailer taillight is equipped with the plate light.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
display the plate unobstructed in the space provided.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle