cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lot sizes

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of weekends ago when we had beautiful weather, I took a ride up to on of our favorite camping spots, Ludington state park in Michigan (surprised how busy it was!). While there, I walked through the camping loops and deliberately evaluated campsites (which was kind of cool when nobody was there camping). I was walking with my phone in hand logged into the state park website looking at site descriptions while standing at the campsites. I paced off about a dozen lots, but was amazed at the inconsistencies based on the described unit sizes that would fit. Some were pretty accurate and most I think were way off in fact there is a lot of 20-25' ones I could fit on. The problem with this park is if I punch in 30 or 35' it eliminates 75% of the sites, smaller the unit the more sites obviously open up. It's also a very popular park that's hard to get into.

My unit is 34' bumper to front of cap on my fifth. I typically will punch in 30' max length when looking online and its usually a safe bet I'll fit. I think the next time I'm walking the loops I will bring campground maps with me and circle the ones that I know I can fit on/make notes. I feel I would be missing out on too many potential lots by way of the official site description.

Do any of you have maps of your favorite places highlighted and marked up?

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
10 REPLIES 10

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of State Parks and County Parks were laid out when RVing was young and the units smaller and many many now have the utilities if any on the wrong side for us.
Many authorities over state and county RV facilities operate on the idea of most of the County Residents or State Resident have small units. If they expand the size of lots it cost money, and they will be invaded with the large Rvs that should go to private RV Parks since they can afford it. There are some on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan that prohibit RVers or anyone else using the county parks other than Residents. We were looking for access to the beach and base to do some fishing from shore.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have maps of all the campgrounds we usually camp at,(mostly State Parks) with our favorites circled..
and notes about the parks on the maps. Works good for us, we have folders for the camp grounds we like with brochures, notes etc. We pull this before a trip and decide where to go and when to go. (We usually try to go during the week as it is less noisy for us)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've always kept a list of campgrounds (public) that we would return. From 16 years of full-timing I have a document on the computer that's 300+ pages, including boondocking spots. It includes lots of information about the campground. When we got to campgrounds, we'd walk the park and make note of the sites our 40' would fit. Our list never failed us in getting the best sites at times.

We volunteered at Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and assigned sites in the morning to reservations coming in matching a site to the RV size. We found there weren't many for big rigs. We offered to walk the sites and make a new chart of what size RV would fit into the sites. The rangers were amazed that we found many more big rig sites than on their old list and our new list was taking into account access and trees.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I have noticed that sometimes the trees on the site may be the limiting factor, as in You can't get the awning or the slide out out if the trailer is too long.

Beware of limiting factors. Turns getting to the site etc.
Also consider there maybe parked cars and other obstacles to deal with that may not be present during an off season tour.

I agree you can often fit into more sites if you scout the CG first
just be sure you consider all the potential pitfalls that may not be obvious

This is very true, I noticed some very nice sites that would be difficult just to get to. Looking at the sites in person gives you much better perspective of the way in, trees, slope, etc. vs what the pictures and description show online. This is why I think having marked up maps would be useful as I know we can't get our favorite lots every year

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
troubledwaters wrote:
I have noticed that sometimes the trees on the site may be the limiting factor, as in You can't get the awning or the slide out out if the trailer is too long.

Beware of limiting factors. Turns getting to the site etc.
Also consider there maybe parked cars and other obstacles to deal with that may not be present during an off season tour.

I agree you can often fit into more sites if you scout the CG first
just be sure you consider all the potential pitfalls that may not be obvious
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I see space depth descriptions that indicate what length rig would fit. The confusion starts right there. I wish they would just say the depth and width of the site parking area and leave it at that. Let us make the decision if we can fit or not.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
When we camped michigan state parks, we always walked the park with map in hand. I would put my trailer length in as whatever they said would fit.

The drawback is having to visit beforehand.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thought about it when we first got started, really good idea, but it didn't last long though. Now we just remember the places and sites tht we DON'T want. Much easier.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
no but that is a great idea!! thanks.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle