cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low profile car

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to figure the geometry on this before i do some damage. I have tow dolly ( American) and want to tow a Mitsubishi Eclipse. I can get the car on the dolly but the clearance between the front clip and the front frame of the dolly is only a few inches, My concern is going into and out of drive aprons the back end of my 37 foot class A really moves over quite a large arc, I am concerned the frame is going to crush into the front clip when i am going down and the hitch height rises.. Am I right ? anyone else deal with this ? I dont need another told you so from the boss.
6 REPLIES 6

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Garg, add a 2x8 in the wheel landing zone and measure everything. We tow a new VW bug. I installed a trailer hitch on it so we could use it with our bike rack. Bad idea as the hitch ended up about 3in off the ground when the bug was on the dolly!

Good luck,
Gary

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
yup teeter totter principle. however raising front wheel one inch shouldnt really make that big of difference in the read end. At least that is what i tell my wife.:B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Here again, leverage and math? If the front of the car is raised by added blocks under it, what does that do to the rear of the car? Any chances of it lowering the tail of the car and potentially dragging it? Just asking?

gargoyle158
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I am considering that option. Little leary to modify the front stop as it is integral to the strap tensioner and probably the last place i want to reduce strength. I have the hitch mounted about 14 inches from the ground but that runs a risk of doing some serious plowing.

zbxb006rvnet
Explorer
Explorer
You could gain some clearance by raising the platforms that the car wheels sit on, using wood or leveling pads. An inch or two should do. Might have to raise/modify the stop blocks also.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a MH, but I like to keep up on virtually everything that everyone experiences with various types of RV. I will say, I've never thought about the situation you are describing. I think, in some situations, the end of the MH rising so high really could cause problems for a tow dolly. With a Toad on a tow bar, the bar has room to move up and down, it's not so critical. With a dolly, you are right. Thinking about this though, I don't see any solution unless you get a higher profile (from the ground) vehicle, or maybe put the Eclipse on a flat trailer. Maybe not the answer your looking for, but it is at least one solution. (sometimes you've just got to swallow old pride and admit "the boss" was right and concede.) ๐Ÿ˜ž