cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making the neighbors angry

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
Don't go to a family campground like Lakewood in Myrtle Beach on July 4th if you don't want to see/hear kids running around.
It says in big letters FAMILY CAMPGROUND.
That typically means kids.

Older couple behind me gave us the stink-eye all weekend. I tried and my mother in law tried to say hi, but they turned their backs on us. Literally turned their chairs the other way.
4 families all around them with kids. We didn't know each other, but our kids had a great time. I think 4 girls an 2 boys from 6 to 12 years old. They're gonna scream a little.
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC
54 REPLIES 54

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I don't become a "grumpy old man"... but my wife says it was too late 20 years ago...

When we go to a "family campground", I am fully expecting to see and hear kids running around being kids. I rarely ever get annoyed with kids... I will be annoyed with the parents who didn't bother to teach basic politeness if the kids are cutting through sites or are generally rude, but I keep it to myself unless there is an unsafe situation. A few times I remember having adults in neighboring campsites come over to say hello - one time in particular a couple (who didn't have kids with them) came over and asked if they could use their campfire flame-color chips in our campfire as they didn't have a campfire, of course our kids gave a resounding yes. In talking to the couple later, they said it just wasn't as much fun to use stuff like that without kids!

When our kids were younger we went to mostly family campgrounds and had a great time... I overhear my now college age kids tell their friends how much fun they had camping.

The last few years I've preferred "rustic" campgrounds with no hookups. Funny how the campgrounds seem quieter, even if there are kids around. Seems like the kids are exploring the woods and surrounding area so much that everyone is tired by the end of the day.

Just get out camping and enjoy it!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I dont mind kids, but do mind when kids and adults cut through my site. Or walk there dog with the extendable lease and it walks in and poops on the side of my site. Pets are becoming an issue, the constantly yapping dog. However there are alot of very mindful pet owners. But I think the worst is when a big DP parks next to us and there genny exhaust on the front driver side, typically facing the camper next door. They turn it on and go into their ac tv induced coma, while the noise and the fumes ruin it for the people next to them. Happened to us again last year and I mentioned to them about the exhaust extension.

True rvers are very considerate of their site and the rvers around them. However there is a breed of weekend warriors that just dont care. They are out to have fun regardless of the people around them.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
You would be welcome to camp next to my wife and I anytime. We are in our 60's and that's part of the fun of camping, setting out under the awning watching the kids have fun. Like Old Biscuit said there's not near enough of that goes on.

In fact we camp with friends half our age who takes there kids with them, It is great fun. I wouldn't worry about the stink eye much. If it upset them that much they need to stay at home and locked up inside.

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
in our family the only time we were allowed to scream was if we were being chased by an axe murderer, were drowning or the house was on fire. Now, as an adult, when I hear screaming I jump out of my chair to see what is wrong.

Think 'boy who cried wolf' if there ever is a real problem.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd also add that what a parent considers "kids being kids" is often "kids out of control" to everyone else (including other parents). There are levels of "screaming" also - there's yelling words, shrieking in high pitched tones, etc.

I also think that the term "family campground" is misleading. What exactly is a family campground? Is it one that offers amenities like playgrounds and face painting? Or is it simply a campground not dedicated to "adult activities not appropriate for children"? Who made the determination that the campground is for families and therefore an adult couple shouldn't be able to stay and expect not to hear kids screaming all day?

To me, the question "why did they choose to camp here?" is unfair. Why shouldn't they camp there? Why should they have to disperse camp to enjoy the outdoors their way? Why is it that those who keep to themselves are wrong and those bringing food and fun for other people's kids "doing it right"?

I'm not saying this as an attack against the OP or anyone else - just pointing out that we all share the outdoors and none have a greater right to it than anyone else.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, unfortunately it was probably the screamng.

Screaming was absolutely forbidden around my father - inside or outside. The only exceptions were if the house was on fire or when we were on a roller coaster. (His 11th commandment was "Thou Shalt Not Annoy the Neighbors).

Sadly, that rule did not apply to his wife ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nice of you to be concerned about the neighbors. You sound like a very kind person. I think most people wouldn't have given TSN (The Scowly Neighbors) a second thought.

If they had walked over to you and said "Your kids (doing whatever activity) is really bothering us", would you have done anything? (Just curious. Sometimes a nice request goes a long way. Other times it just eggs on the behavior of people who think they're "entitled" to do whatever they want anytime they want.)

EDIT: Btw, I'm sure that almost all of us here have a story about "How I p*ssed off my neighbors while camping". Either accidentally...or on purpose. ๐Ÿ™‚
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
I thought "the OTHER" neighbors meant the original disgruntled neighbors.

When I see campers "of a certain age" it makes me wonder how many camping trips they might have left. For all we k now, that couple could have had to scrimp and save out of their social security checks to get an expensive site near the beach for their last holiday camping trip ever. And then they have a rotten time. Bummer.

You make a very good point.
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
jamnw wrote:

We had another couple come in behind us with no kids the next day. I talked to them about the "neighborhood kids". They brought out about 20 packs of sparklers, and snap pops and gave to the kids. The OTHER neighbors went inside after that.

Could this be the reason? You also say "The OTHER neighbors went inside after that" - in addition to the neighbor you're complaining about.

By OTHER I mean the ones I was talking about originally.
And, I didn't intend to seem like I was complaining about them. At first I was worried that we upset them. But I wondered why anyone would subject themselves to a family CG on July 4th, if you don't appear to like what goes with it.
Maybe they couldn't get another spot...
Yes there was screaming. There were 6 kids playing with snap pops. And it was just one day out of the whole week.
By 9:30pm all the kids were inside playing and watching a movie.
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I thought "the OTHER" neighbors meant the original disgruntled neighbors.

When I see campers "of a certain age" it makes me wonder how many camping trips they might have left. For all we k now, that couple could have had to scrimp and save out of their social security checks to get an expensive site near the beach for their last holiday camping trip ever. And then they have a rotten time. Bummer.
It's his Super Power!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jamnw wrote:

We had another couple come in behind us with no kids the next day. I talked to them about the "neighborhood kids". They brought out about 20 packs of sparklers, and snap pops and gave to the kids. The OTHER neighbors went inside after that.

Could this be the reason? You also say "The OTHER neighbors went inside after that" - in addition to the neighbor you're complaining about.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
WEAR OUT?! How did you get 8 year olds to wear out? WE camped with four kids two girls and two boys. The Energizer Bunny couldn't handle my four. Congratulations.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Campntwins
Explorer
Explorer
We have grown twins (boy-girl). Both were very shy children. When they were 8 years old, we were camping at South Llano State Park in Texas. One afternoon, my son came in and said we all had to get up at 6 the next morning to go look at birds. DH and I thought it was an unusual request and honestly thought he would forget about it but he didn't. He came to our bed at 5:30, dressed with flashlight and binoculars. Off we went with our son leading the way. He led us to a bird blind. As he approached, an older couple came to great him by name and introduced themselves to the rest of us.

This older couple were the park hosts and they were true birders. They had watched my kids ride bikes around the loop and befriended them. Next thing we knew, we had kids interested in birds and for the next 5 days, we met the couple at the bird blind at sunrise. It is one of my DH and mine favorite camping stories when asked why we camp.

It would have been fine if this older couple had turned their chairs around and ignored the two shy kids riding bikes. We would have had a great trip. But boy are we thankful they didn't. They made a life long impact on our family.

To us, one of best gifts of camping is in the evenings when families are around campsites, smoke billowing from difficult campfires, you hear laughter, adults talking and kids playing until they wear out.
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
Ford Powerstroke 4x4
Texas Aggies - Gig'em

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others, I enjoy seeing kids playing outside....so much healthier than being inside glued to a screen of some sort. Generally, I like meeting kids when we're camping (some of the parents I could do without though ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Were the kids screaming? My father used to get so upset if we screamed as kids that he'd threaten to use us for slingshot practice.
It's his Super Power!

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Glad you and the kids had such a good time despite the stink-eyed neighbors.

Just curious though....did you ever figure out exactly what the kids were doing that were so annoying to them?

Never did find out. When we waved, and they got up and turned their chairs the other way, we figured best leave them alone. At that point we also told the kids to make sure they stayed away from their site. No sense in rubbing salt in it.
We were just having fun, not trying to be mean.
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I like sitting out under the awning and watching kids explore, play, interact, discover ...........not enough of that goes on.

Watched a toddler 'discovery' her shadow......put a smile on my face and a good chuckle.

If the kids get unruly......I spray them down with my hose.

Otherwise......kids should be outside, going camping, playing with other kids face to face. Dang make some mud pies, eat a little dirt, catch a bug...scare the girls with it. In other words be a kid and have FUN

Grumpy old people.......go push them over. They're almost dead anyway cause they have forgotten about FUN

Old Biscuit, you're doing it right!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!