cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mazda 5 manual trans

taigarazz
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone tow a Mazda 5 manual transmission 4-down?
The manual says that it can't be done, but I have heard others say that 'anything with a manual trans" can be towed 4 down.

Is anyone doing that?
Linda
5 REPLIES 5

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the manual says NO, then I would not try to second guess the mfg. Are you sure you're looking at the instructions for a manual trans rather than auto?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Some manual transmissions the oil pump is on the front of the transmission and is turned by the motor when the clutch is engaged. IF the engine is off no oil is circulated. Also no oil pumped when coasting with clutch pushed in that is why the owners manual states not to coast with clutch depressed. On a manual gear box it is a oil sump and the gears pick up the oil, you can tow those 4 down. You just have to find out what transmission you have.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, there are certain cars with manual trans that can't be towed four down. Honda has some, and they allow it on others so it's not a corporate bias against dinghy towing.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

taigarazz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did check Remco and it says "Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures".

But the owners manual says it can't be towed 4 down, so I'm looking for more info.

It's way out of warranty, so that's not the concern. But I need not to blow up my car!

Linda

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Not all manual transmissions can be towed 4 down.
Did you check Remco Towing?