cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miles or hours how do you plan your day's drive?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I am a firm believer in hours. With unfavorable traffic conditions a person could spent 8 hours behind the wheel and only travel 200 miles. I personally believe that limiting hours is a safer way to be sure the driver will stay fresh and alert. Professional truckers are restricted to the number of hours they are legally allowed to drive.

Unless I have a good reason I have a specific time in mind when I call it quits for the day which can be anywhere between 4 PM and 7 PM. My goal is to be registered and hooked up at a camp site before it gets dark. Usually I'll start searching for a place to hook up between 3:30 PM and 6:00 PM. Sometimes I'll plan on just pulling into a rest stop at about 6 PM which give me time to walk and feed the dogs make a sandwich or heat up a can of something on the stove and settle in and read a book before going to sleep.

Does anyone else try to calculate their hours rather than miles?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
30 REPLIES 30

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I like to (very) roughly plan my route and break it down into 200 mile segments, looking for interesting things to do or see in each segment. Then I plan my driving. I am alone with 2 elderly dogs. I like to leave late and stop early and stay for at least 2 nights. And yet, even that is written in jello, because if the stop doesn't warrant it, I won't stay a second night, and sometimes I'll stop late in a rest area for a night.

My trips usually turn out to be a couple of 2-nighters, then a week or more, with a couple more 2-nighters until the next destination. It's a very easy & comfortable way to travel, but slow.

I've just returned to Florida from a 6 month trip to California - most of it done just that way.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
when we are camping, yes, it's more hours. We usually plan on leaving after a leasure breakfast, or late enough to avoid early morning traffic, and then plan on being stopped by about 4pm or so. Get set up, relax and then have dinner.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
We pick a destination within 300 miles, but if we find something more interesting closer we stop. 6 hours is the max though.
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan in hours because I also plan the time for the stops. Stops can be several hours with zero miles.

In the RV, I plan 14 hours a day being awake, 8-10 hours a day from campsite to campsite. A 10 hour day might take me 450-600 miles on a travel day, fewer than 100 miles on a sightseeing day.

That's why "miles per day" doesn't work. If you are starting off on a trip with a number in your head like 300 miles a day or 500 miles a day, you don't have a plan. That's not a plan, it is at best a rule of thumb, more likely a WAG.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Out here in the wild west, Wyoming, you usually tell somebody how long it takes to get somewhere rather than how many miles. When we hitch up and take off, our favorite trip is about three hours, from Lander, WY to Colter Bay Campground in Grand Teton National Park. It's less than 150 miles so you see we don't make real fast time, but we time it so we can hit the campground when the overnighters are checking out so we can get a good spot. We did take a trip to Zion from Lander last spring and, after looking at the miles, decided we could make it in one day easily driving about eight hours. Made it almost perfectly on time, got parked and everything by around 4 in the afternoon, leaving time to look around and then have leisurely dinner.
John A. Lichty

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Hours for me, which usually relates to 300 to 400 miles max. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
We also like to be parked and set up before dark. To answer the question....300 to 400 miles a day would be good!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normally, I try to be parked and ready to relax my late afternoon. Have no desire to back in, setup in the dark. For planning purposes, I use a max of 250 - 300 miles a day or 5 - 6 hours.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Foggy
Explorer
Explorer
Neither. We stop when tired or see something interesting to experience. We try to limit planning to deciding the general direction and possible interesting experiences.
Happy-Trails
Foggy

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the trip.

If all we are going to be doing is watching TV until bed then we'll continue on and take plenty of breaks. I see no reason to stop and set up only to sit there and watch the idiot box when I could be driving.

We take our time, stop often and aren't in a rush. Now if there is a reason to stop and see the sights we'll stop for a few days and do just that.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I look for RV parks along my route about every 300 miles. I've found over time that setting the Speed Control on 60 lets me average 50 with gas and potty breaks. So if I'm on my way by 9AM I'm close to my daily destination by 3PM. That almost always get me a spot where I planned.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Explorer
Explorer
Well, how many hours do you think you have left in you? Sounds like you need to slow down and smell the roses.

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT MEMORIES AND SOMEONE TO SHARE THEM WITH
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
On a long trip, we don't do hours or miles. We just drive until we can't stand it anymore. Sometimes that's four hours, sometimes sixteen.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Either, or, it depends. I usually set a destination based on time, but if I miscalculated and get in way ahead of time, I may continue for awhile longer. Then if I run into trouble and fall short of the destination on the scheduled time, I may extend the hours a bit......No set in stone procedures for us.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

To some extent it depends on driving conditions. My longest "day" ever was from Cheyenne, WY to Regina, SK at 1192 kilometers (738 miles). Generally 500 kilometers (300 miles) is more my "speed", as I drive 78 kph (49 mph) to save fuel.

I'll stop when I see something of interest and I mainly boondock.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.