cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mitsubishi Mirage 2014

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
This fall Mitsubishi will bring to North America the econobox 4 door Mirage with either CVT or 5 speed manual. I hope the manual is towable 4 down.

It is larger than a Chevy Spark but weighs about the same as a Smart Car. 3 cylinder 1.2L engine. CVT 38/44 MPG, Manual 37/42 or thereabouts. Personally I think I can get better mileage out of a manual anyway.

Initial short reviews call it functional, good in town, less good on the interstate. But still, at under 2000 lbs, and mileage in the 40's, I'm very interested.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
5 REPLIES 5

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a new forum started to cater to the Mirage in the USA & Canada:
http://mirageforum.com/forum/forum.php

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I googled up an email address for their Japan headquarters, and asked about flat towing the Mirage. It took a week or so, but this morning I got an answer. It's not good news.

Dear Mr. Xxxxx

Thank you for your inquiry about 2014 Mirage. We are sorry for our late
reply on this matter.

To flat-tow Mirage, with any type of transmission, is not recommended as
it may damage the car.

For your consideration in purchasing a Mirage, we suggest that you contact
our authorized distributor in U.S.:

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
Address : 6400 West Katella Avenue, Cypress, CA 90630-0064, U.S.A.
Phone : 1-714-372-6000
Fax : 1-714-373-1020

??: crd.mmc@mitsubishi-motors.com
cc:
??: Technical question 2014 Mirage?

Hello,

Will the 2014 Mirage with manual transmission be able to be "flat-towed",
all four wheels down, behind another vehicle? If so, what will be the
restrictions of speed or distance?

Thank you .

gaiusgracchus
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking the same thing. Need a toad now, but the Mirage might be worth waiting for.
Dealer here says first ones should show up in N. California end of July, first of August.
Figures they will probably be the automatics, but we hope for manual trans to come out soon after.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I found a Mirage forum, asked if anyone had access to an owners manual. A guy in the Philippines reports the manual says towing is okay on the manual trans, with no restrictions listed. Not okay for the CVT.

I'll have to wait till fall to see one. Hope it's worth the wait.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, even if its the automatic, CVT transmission, it *might* still be flat towable.

Ford's CVT transmission they use in their hybrids (Fusion, C max) has been flat towable with almost no restrictions since they first came out several years ago. Not sure if Mitsubishi's CVT transmission will be that way or not, though.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")