cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More campers than parks

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
This year we have only been out in the 5th wheel 2-3 times because we can't find any places to go that haven't been sold out on the weekends. Northern CA State parks, especially on or near the coast seem to be booked solid, even this late in the year. Going east into the foothills or Sierras isn't much better.
I'd be money ahead if I rented an RV a few times a year than making a huge investment in an RV that we can't use.
Sorry for the rant but it's frustrating to watch the tires go flat on the trailer from sitting in the storage lot month after month. Is this a problem all over or just in Northern CA?
91 REPLIES 91

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
You're in a very populated area. Go north into Oregon or east into Nevada and you'll find all kinds of wide open spaces to camp in and explore.

Forget about Idaho, though. Nothing to see there but potato fields.

What??? You just killed our spring plans!

Twin Falls and onwards.:(

Not to worry ,they are just trying to keep people out of Idaho, its a beautiful place.

I know, we just passed by Idaho on the way from Yellowstone. This time we are taking the time to camp and see the sights.

I have a question or Utah though. Do you have something against Californians? My daughter and son was driving at the same speed along your highways. My son has a Nevada license plate while my daughter has California. Guess what, it was just my daughter who got the speeding ticket (there was even no speed limit posted).

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Maybe some "definitions" are in order at this point?

i.e.:

1. What is a Mobile Home park?
2. What is a Recreational Vehicle park?
3. What is a Campground?

IMHO, 1. and 2. appear to be getting really mixed up lately whenever we're out and about for recreation in our Recreational Vehicle - whether it be weekends or during the week.

I know it's probably expensive to have signs repainted ... but it sure would be helpful to us if many of the "RV Parks" would change their signage to read "Mobile Home Park" so that we would not waste our time pulling in to register for a night or two or three, only to be frustrated with no sites available. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree completely. I think some people that own the land, whatever you want to call it, are starting to think along the same lines that you are. I say that because some of the parks that I was looking at in various cities are now starting to be listed as mobile home parks. Not many but a few. And I was confused because they kept coming up in my RV searches. I called a couple of them and they explained that you couldn't pull in a double-wide but they were long-term RV parks.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe some "definitions" are in order at this point?

i.e.:

1. What is a Mobile Home park?
2. What is a Recreational Vehicle park?
3. What is a Campground?

IMHO, 1. and 2. appear to be getting really mixed up lately whenever we're out and about for recreation in our Recreational Vehicle - whether it be weekends or during the week.

I know it's probably expensive to have signs repainted ... but it sure would be helpful to us if many of the "RV Parks" would change their signage to read "Mobile Home Park" so that we would not waste our time pulling in to register for a night or two or three, only to be frustrated with no sites available. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
You're in a very populated area. Go north into Oregon or east into Nevada and you'll find all kinds of wide open spaces to camp in and explore.

What??? You just killed our spring plans!

Twin Falls and onwards.:(

Not to worry ,they are just trying to keep people out of Idaho, its a beautiful place.

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Lot of people full time by choice. When I got a seasonal site on a lake up North 14 years ago I had always dreamed of a cabin on the lake. I quickly realized the expense and maintaining a property for a few months a year wasn't worth it, so I went the seasonal route. The only thing I'm responsible for is the RV. Water, Sewer, Trash, Electric, Property tax, Yard work, and Roads are all maintained by the campground. I know a couple of seasonals there that have a spot there and one in Florida for the Winter and sold their homes. Even with my very modest home paid for I have property tax, insurance and utilities that amount to over 600 a month then add in maintenance on top of that. It would be financially better for me to get another spot in Florida or Georgia and get rid of the home. I just can't do it at this point. I have found the Collies and I can live in a RV very comfortably. Other then the seasonal I keep a couple of RV'S to travel with.

With the large expensive of a home and the fact a lot of people can now do their job from anywhere campgrounds are filling up with young people as well as retirees. This makes it more difficult for Weekend Warriors to get spots.

Yeah I didn't even get into the younger folks. We've got some that are living in here now that part of their decision to go with an RV was climate change because they believe having a tiny home makes less environmental impact. Whether you agree with it or not a lot of the young people believe in it and I believe that will be a factor in driving this problem even further.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lot of people full time by choice. When I got a seasonal site on a lake up North 14 years ago I had always dreamed of a cabin on the lake. I quickly realized the expense and maintaining a property for a few months a year wasn't worth it, so I went the seasonal route. The only thing I'm responsible for is the RV. Water, Sewer, Trash, Electric, Property tax, Yard work, and Roads are all maintained by the campground. I know a couple of seasonals there that have a spot there and one in Florida for the Winter and sold their homes. Even with my very modest home paid for I have property tax, insurance and utilities that amount to over 600 a month then add in maintenance on top of that. It would be financially better for me to get another spot in Florida or Georgia and get rid of the home. I just can't do it at this point. I have found the Collies and I can live in a RV very comfortably. Other then the seasonal I keep a couple of RV'S to travel with.

With the large expensive of a home and the fact a lot of people can now do their job from anywhere campgrounds are filling up with young people as well as retirees. This makes it more difficult for Weekend Warriors to get spots.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
The solution actually is to improve the campsites in USFS, USDA and Army Corp of Engineer properties.

These campgrounds are never full and there is a reason -- it's just a dirt road -- primitive toilet if ever there is one, water (sometimes) and electric hook ups (non-existent).

But then again, it might never happen in the very near future. The current administration would rather give and open these up to logging, oil and mineral interests.

That's exactly why I prefer these campgrounds!

I have a toilet in both my RVs, I don't need or want hookups, and the dirt roads just make it less populated by folks afraid of a pebble scratch on their prius. ๐Ÿ™‚

This time of year, I can always find a campsite.

X2. I don't want these types of improvements either. Many times when this happens, the parks are turned over to private contractors, and they mess it up. Also, one of the reasons folks stay full time in parks is because of no lower cost housing being available.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or maybe the state parks hold more of an interest to more RV owners - they get some amenities along with a nice natural setting.

From reading here, few "weekenders" or casual RVers want to stay in RV Parks that cater to longterm residents - so your taking that space isn't affecting them.

P.S. There are many many houses out there. If you believe new construction is shoddy, then you can buy one of the many older to old homes. There is no law that requires you to buy a brand new home or even one in a development. To cross a stick and brick off your list in favor of an RV because a house built last week is poorly built is a lousy financial decision.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Lightning55 wrote:
Boondocking... you mean no AC? no TV with 235 stations? No electric blanket? OMG
No, I don't mean that. When you get good at boondocking you can have all that.

No, I don't mean that. When you get good at boondocking you can have all that.

How true ... an absolutely outstanding comment!

Those are things that proper RV boondocking can provide over and above backpacking - heating, cooling, plenty of cold drinks/ice and food on tap, a warm toilet area close to where you're sleeping, hot showers, electric entertainment, deep fat fried fish and chips, no tent leaks dripping in your face, no bears raiding your stuff, etc., ... and plenty of great scenery too -> just like in backpacking. ๐Ÿ˜‰

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:

Huuuuhhh, for example ... we spent spectacular boondock camping along the Salmon and Henry's Fork rivers in Idaho a couple of years ago!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't need it. I fill up and dump at home. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
The solution actually is to improve the campsites in USFS, USDA and Army Corp of Engineer properties.

These campgrounds are never full and there is a reason -- it's just a dirt road -- primitive toilet if ever there is one, water (sometimes) and electric hook ups (non-existent).

But then again, it might never happen in the very near future. The current administration would rather give and open these up to logging, oil and mineral interests.

I have a toilet in both my RVs, I don't need or want hookups, and the dirt roads just make it less populated by folks afraid of a pebble scratch on their prius. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't mind but at least have nearby source to load up water and a dump within the route.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
IdaD wrote:

Agree on Oregon and Washington, even Nevada. Just sage brush as far as the eye can see in Idaho.

Coastal Oregon parks are still full on weekends. Make
Reservations.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
Lightning55 wrote:
This year we have only been out in the 5th wheel 2-3 times because we can't find any places to go that haven't been sold out on the weekends. Northern CA State parks, especially on or near the coast seem to be booked solid, even this late in the year. Going east into the foothills or Sierras isn't much better.

It's probably people all running away from the fires you have there...

Just a thought...

Nope, this has been an issue in California, for decades. Recent fire increases have just made it worse.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes