cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mouse in the house

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the first time in 30 years of RV ownership I have a rodent in the belly of my 5th wheel. Ate through a pex line.
I have an couple that lost their home in the NoCal Caldor fire living in the trailer. He heard the hissing this morning. Of course, it was a "search 'til you find it" thing. Oh...and it rained all night. Of course, after taking off half the underbelly liner, I discover ed it was directly under the steps, within easy reach. Thank goodness I own all the necessary tools to do these repairs.
Now I have to wait for it all to dry out so I can replace the insulation that was soaked. But, all is good now. The fire victims have their water back, and they are safely tucked in now.
9 REPLIES 9

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
sticky mouse traps worked well for me. Easy to access and dispose of and work quick. No more mouse family for long long time now.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We had to leave our Destination Trailer parked, for an unknown amount of time, in an area we knew had mice. I purchased some copper mesh to stuff into any openings on the trailer. I had heard that steel wool works well, but I figured it would probably rust out, so I went with the copper mesh. I rolled it out and then balled it up like a steel wool pad and shoved it into every opening I could find under the trailer. I found half a dozen places in the underbelly that were large enough for even a rat to get through.

Because of the pandemic, the trailer was parked for 18 months. When we finally got to it, the only evidence of mice was a small nest at the top of one of the 30lb propane tanks. It drove me nuts not being able to inspect the TT for 18 months and was pleasantly surprised to find no mice or evidence of mice inside the TT. Spiders yes, but no mice.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
FYI rodents being mammals wonโ€™t take a second taste of anything doused with hot pepper sauce.

Critter Ridder, from Home Depot and others, stopped rodents from eating the wiring and vacuum lines in my 2007 F350. After eating it 3 times, I sprayed all the wiring with Cridder Ridder and they never bothered it again. It is a mix of hot pepper ingredients.

I wish I could get to the water lines. I'd be all over that Critter Ridder. My entire belly is lined and insulated, some areas twice. I did have to cut a 12" hole to access the leak enough to insert the PEX crimper and cutter. I'll use exterior caulk and Tyvek to repair that area.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
JaxDad wrote:
FYI rodents being mammals wonโ€™t take a second taste of anything doused with hot pepper sauce.

Critter Ridder, from Home Depot and others, stopped rodents from eating the wiring and vacuum lines in my 2007 F350. After eating it 3 times, I sprayed all the wiring with Cridder Ridder and they never bothered it again. It is a mix of hot pepper ingredients.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
Your location's name is apropos...

Not all of California is like Los Angeles or San Francisco. The crime rate were I live is 1/1,000 of what it is in San Antonio. The poverty rate here is 1/10,000 of that of San Antonio. Unemployment is non-existent here too.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:

Ahhh - someone else called Paradise CA, "Pleasure" CA on National News - definitely *not* apropos!!...:S

A friend was trying to re-locate there, as both his adult daughter, adult grand-daughter & families (inc'l great grandchildren) each lost both their homes.

He was living in his 5th wheel in a campground there, while house hunting. He had found two homes, but both had structural defects. He was in the process of paying for a 3rd inspection prior to the fire. His "only" loss was his 5th wheel & numerous belongings.

The two homes he had considered, as well as the 3rd "potential" were destroyed also.

All of the above "self-rescued" - some with some *very* close calls!

๐Ÿ™‚

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
โ€ฆ.. My โ€œGoTo Sure Cureโ€ is a Mousetrapโ€ฆ Once & doneโ€ฆ I put some in the truck interior & under the hood when we are camping in likely areasโ€ฆ

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rodent, yes, mouse, no. Chewed up PEX line is a mouseโ€™s bigger cousin the rat.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II