cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must read before you buy (Long)

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Why-Its-Important-to-Research-an-RV-Before-Buying-One
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
9 REPLIES 9

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel that RV manufacturers are in a similar spot as the big 3 automakers were in the 70' and into the 80's. There is a big market for RVs lately and people are buying them up. Quality, in most cases, is not as important as production. The best thing that ever happened to the American car was the demise of the American car. Foreign auto makers moved in with more dependable units which forced our manufactures to step it up. If it weren't for the competition nothing would have changed. Anybody remember the K Car? How about the Vega?

The message in this thread is to be careful in researching and purchasing your RV. I can't agree more. If we had done this with cars way back when thing might be different today. Cars are necessities so many people were trapped. RVs, on the other hand, are not. We can afford to be more diligent in our searches.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œAfter weekends, many may be overly tired.โ€œ Really? Any proof?
โ€œThe problem is that manufacturers these days...โ€ Back in them olden days everything was wunderfull.

When I worked for a Ford Dealer back in the 70's, all the old guys (read: highly experienced) said to avoid cars that were built on Monday, . . . . if you can. It could be urban legend, it could be truth, I never saw any evidence of that. During my time, ALL new American cars sucked, it didn't matter what day they were built. It's been a while since frustrated customers practiced the bad habit of setting their new cars on fire in the service drive and leaving. I think the American car manufacturers got the message. But, IMO, they are still paying for that. It gave every foreign car manufacturer a foot in the American door. Read Lee Iacocca's book about Ford and Chrysler Corps. Shocking! IMO, the new motorhome industry is still struggling to get out of the 70's.

Chum lee

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers DON"T CARE about quality products or they would build quality products, which they don't. My trailer is prime example. I had issues when it was new that wouldn't have been issues if the work had been don't properly at the factory. I work in the RV industry and see the lousy workmanship on a large scale.

It is a fact that the workers are paid by the piece and crank out the RV's as fast as they can so they can make more money. There is also no quality inspections at these factories. Met a man who worked a Keystone trailer line and he said he'd never buy one.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Some scare tactics for sure, but probably a pretty good place to start for a novice. They need to go into RV shopping with an eye more attuned to detail not bling.

There is some BS in there too. A rubber roof doesn't leak because it's rubber. Aluminum roofs can leak. I had one that did.

Definitely not like buying a new car.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have read many horror stories on here and on other forums over the years of RV lemons and down right junk from day one.

As for me I have dodged the bullet and my 08 Bounder on a Ford chassis has been a very good unit, just minor fixes, nothing big and never in the shop for any repairs.

However many have not been so lucky, I guess that's why I wont upgrade to a newer unit, my luck could run out..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œAfter weekends, many may be overly tired.โ€œ Really? Any proof?
โ€œThe problem is that manufacturers these days...โ€ Back in them olden days everything was wunderfull.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing new there that hasn't been hashed out many times on RV forums.

I kind of thought she passed rather quickly over one of the most important things: An in depth PDI(Pre Delivery Inspection). She gave it one sentence: "Examine a coach thoroughly before you buy."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If interested in this I made it to a clicky

https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Why-Its-Important-to-Research-an-RV-Before-Buying-One
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A baloney article trying to scare you. Such as โ€œThe manufacturer doesn't really care. He is only interested in selling his products.โ€
Winnebago, Lance, AS and most others care very much.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad