cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My 5th wheel shudders violently when towing.

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab diesel with a B&W turnover ball hitch and a B&W companion hitch towing a 2006 Cedar Creek Silverback 29LRLBS (unloaded weight of 10,070 lbs. The hitch was installed by the dealer who I purchased the camper from and who sells and installs many hitches and trailers. It seems any change in velocity while I'm traveling results in significant shaking of the truck even violent shaking at times. Anything from getting into the throttle quickly, to the transmission downshifting while slowing for a stop sign or even a bump while maintaining speed causes the issue. Sometimes when I'm slowing and the truck downshifts I even have to get out of the brakes just to help settle it down. I've taken it back to the dealer twice. I've spent a lot of time with the installers trying to trouble shoot and it's a head scratcher. We briefly towed another camper of similar size and type and it seems to do it with another camper. They are pointing towards flex in the base plate for the B&W hitch. I'm not sure. We even put a gooseneck adapter on the camper and took it for a short test drive and it actually improved the ride quality slightly. I've searched the interweb and I've called B&W and nothing... I think I've exhausted all avenues that the dealer is able/willing to provide so naturally I'm here crying on the forums. Anybody got any ideas or contacts to fix this? Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

mnystrom1
Explorer
Explorer

Maybe warped disk(s) for brakes on tow vehicle.

While I am sure the OP would appreciate this suggestion, this thread is 8 years old and the OP hasn't been on here much since. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The correct term for the behavior is "CHUCKING," with no N.

ChuNking is the activity of using medieval war machines to throw pumpkins across a field.

I'm not criticizing spelling, but if you don't spell it correctly google won't have a clue what you're talking about.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
Can you mount a go pro camera in the bed and get a video of what is going on?

I will try. I'd like to fab up a pointer/indicator so it will really document any movement that might be occurring.

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I would be looking strongly at the truck as having an issue. You've commented that all the fixes involving changing hitches and even changing trailers only made a slight improvement. When the only common element in all the changes is the tow vehicle, then that's where you should be looking, IMO.

You're talking about changing to a gooseneck adapter when, in your own words "It actually did tow slightly better with it.". "Slightly better" simply isn't good enough. You should be able to tow with no issues, if not you'll never be happy with it.

The common element is anytime I pull a trailer connected to that hitch in the bed it has been problematic. I can pull our Case 435 skidsteer on a bumper hitch trailer and no issues at all. The skidsteer weighs 6,800 pounds and it's on a 3,000 pound trailer. I can pull my 29' enclosed trailer with 5 snowmobiles in it weighing around 7,000 pounds on a 1500 mile roundtrip and no issues whatsoever. As soon as I throw the companion hitch in the bed and back under that camper.. all hell breaks loose. My truck isn't an old clunker either. It's a 2015 with 24,000(ish) miles on it. It gets serviced regularly and exhibits no issues on anything but towing the 5th wheel camper.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you mount a go pro camera in the bed and get a video of what is going on?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be looking strongly at the truck as having an issue. You've commented that all the fixes involving changing hitches and even changing trailers only made a slight improvement. When the only common element in all the changes is the tow vehicle, then that's where you should be looking, IMO.

You're talking about changing to a gooseneck adapter when, in your own words "It actually did tow slightly better with it.". "Slightly better" simply isn't good enough. You should be able to tow with no issues, if not you'll never be happy with it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very similar experience with my 2012 Duramax (basically same truck) with B&W Turnoverball and Andersen Ultimate. I found that the B&W was not torqued properly when installed allowing it to move ever so slightly. Check that all the bolts are properly torqued especially the ones that attach to the side plates under the wheel wells.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
MORE TRUCK!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Cedar Creeks can be very pin heavy. Loaded ready to camp, and drive across a set of scales. You will quickly understand where your peoblem is!

The issue is likely with the TV, but NOT the weight it is carrying! Unless the OP's springs are so soft the he is extremely a$$ low as to greatly change the drive shaft angle, not going to be the issue.

I would agree with broken Motor or transmission mount, bad U joint, or center carrier (if so equipped).

Heck, our 5er has about the same dry weight, and a higher GVWR (by 20#'s), and we CARRY and tow it just fine with our 2001 Ram 2500, with stock springs, and no bags!

"You Need a BIGGER TV is not always the answer"!!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
I reached out to B&W and sent them some pictures and I don't think I'll get this resolved. It seems to be a stalemate. The camper dealer thinks the B&W hitch is flexing. B&W doesn't think it's possible that their hitch is flexing. They want me to do some more sanding of the pads to get it perfectly flush on the box of the truck. I've already done that twice. I think the hitch is pushing the floor of the box down and making it's own clearance. Few questions keep resonating in my head... WHY does a hitch system with that high of towing capabilities rely on the box of the truck for support? You can easily stomp a dent in the floor of the truck box with your foot. How can I be even flexing any thing with my trailer weighing almost half what the hitch is capable of?
The RV dealer let me try a gooseneck adapter for a quick try during our troubleshooting session. It actually did tow slightly better with it. I might just get rid of this companion and run a gooseneck adapter. That way I have my box of my truck open without lifting that heavy thing in and out of the box. I feel like I spent big bucks to do things right and get the best hitch and it was a waste of money.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a thread that may be of some help....

2015 Silverado and B&W issues

I believe the resolution ended up being that the Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch wasn't installed correctly and once that was rectified the Companion worked fine.

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Do you have the bolt under the head that holds it to the turnover torqued propely, I believe its 60lbs.

Yep. We've installed and reinstalled after many troubleshooting attempts

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the bolt under the head that holds it to the turnover torqued propely, I believe its 60lbs.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Sled208
Explorer
Explorer
Bessie-Hunter wrote:
Check that the pads of the Companion and make sure they set firm on the bed at the rear of the hitch. Others with the newer GM's (2011 to current) have a slight arch in the bed with the apex at the wheel wells, including mine. This results in the hitch flexing for and aft causing the pads to dent and cut the bed where the pads stop. This may be causing your problem, just a thought.

Very good point and I should mention that was the first thing I did. I had to take a bunch of material off of the pads to get it flush. I'm very surprised that the box of the truck is even needed to steady the system. Can't believe the hitch base can't handle it alone.