cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need braking system & tow bar

rvgrammady
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering a very reliable 98 Saturn Wagon. It has a blue ox baseplate.

I have never had a toad before and want to start out small & cheap as I am not sure if towing is going to work for me or IF I will continue to do so. I'm a single gramma and will be doing this all by myself. I think I'm missing out on lots of stuff.. I usually rent at Enterprise as they pick me up.. but on last trip.. several places I had no rental and missed seeing lots.

OK I've looked/read everything on this forum and now I am totally confused.

The seller of the Saturn used a Blue Ox Alpha. I am going to find out if he used a braking system and if so what?

But for now... suggestions, pros/cons..

I know... sorry in advance this is gonna start one of those mouse wars. i need some advise...

Thanks for your help. Just in case it doesn't appear below..
'96 Allegro Bay 35' chevy gasser.. OK you Ford die-hards stop laughing..
1997 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy
1998 Saturn SW2 Wagon, Automatic
Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake

"We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends."
8 REPLIES 8

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
rvgrammady wrote:
I am considering a very reliable 98 Saturn Wagon. It has a blue ox baseplate.

A very good choice given your concerns.

rvgrammady wrote:
I have never had a toad before and want to start out small & cheap as I am not sure if towing is going to work for me or IF I will continue to do so. I'm a single gramma and will be doing this all by myself. I think I'm missing out on lots of stuff.. I usually rent at Enterprise as they pick me up.. but on last trip.. several places I had no rental and missed seeing lots.

Having a toad makes a world of a difference.

rvgrammady wrote:
OK I've looked/read everything on this forum and now I am totally confused.

Due to the many experts. Confusion is normal when you're trying something for the first time and using the forum.

rvgrammady wrote:
The seller of the Saturn used a Blue Ox Alpha. I am going to find out if he used a braking system and if so what?

Highly recommend one. In some states it is required. Gas engine MH don't seem to have enough braking power when pulling a car behind IMO.

rvgrammady wrote:
But for now... suggestions, pros/cons..

Don't get all tied up with the flavor of the month on tow bars. For now if the car fits your needs find a tow bar that will hook up to the baseplates. Pull the car around and see what you think. If coming down a slight hill and hitting the brakes doesn't feel good, then get a mechanical brake system. Keep your eye on E-bay or Craigslist. I've seen used ones going for as low as $250. When you're done with it all, you can always resell easily.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I think the previous posters are refering to the Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar It's the owbar with the built in brake system. The brake system by itself is the Readybrake
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

beany
Explorer
Explorer
Small is good when it comes to a tow car. But do get one. Even with a good tow bar setup it will probably be a hassle at times but SO worth it, in more ways than I can mention

Explorer
Explorer
X5
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

images
Explorer
Explorer
x4 Readybrake
Joe & Deb And A Senegal Parrot named Sunny

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Readybrake. We've had thousands of miles with it in all sorts of different terrain towing our CRV. Works great. Built in braking system is easy to hook up and is very functional.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Readybrake Elite. It's brake and tow bar in one and you can get it with Blue Ox connectors to use on your current baseplate.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How about ReadyBrake?