cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with max towing weights

Midtown
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys. I've been wanting a toy hauler for 4 years now. I finally bought what I thought was a capable TV but not sure now. Here are the specs for my truck

2015 GMC 3500 CC SB

GCWR - 24,500
Max Trailer Weight - 17,100
Payload on door jam - 3904

I've been trying to find my rear axle info. I assume it's 7000 or 7050 as that's what the tires are. I found a "Camper Loading Information" sticker in my glove box. It says cargo weight rating of 3154 lbs. I assume this is what's left after the natural weight of the rear end of this truck?

The problem. I have narrowed my Toy Hauler choice down to 2 options.

Attitude 31CRSG
Dry weight 11,000
Pin Weight 2690

Evergreen Tesla 3212
12,200 dry
2700 pin

Looks to me like I'm good in all departments other than the pin weights. I would assume it's fair to you can add 500 lbs to those pins weights adding in the generator, propane bottles and misc bedroom stuff. I plan on getting the Anderson 5th wheel connection so my hitch is only 40 lbs. I'm going to be right at the limit of the truck payload wise. What do you guys think? I'm not trying to be the guy that thinks a 4000 lb pin 44' trailer in a 3/4 is fine but don't want to have to go get a Dually. Any thoughts welcome
8 REPLIES 8

Midtown
Explorer
Explorer
The Tesla has a 17,000 GVWR I can't see having that heavy, but I'm sure everyone thinks that. The Attitude is probably a better choice for the truck. It's 34'4" has a GVWR for 16,000 but most builds come in at 11,000 dry so it's a bit lighter.

Rjdreyer
Explorer
Explorer
When a trailer gets above 16k GVWR and 36ft, a dually is usually suggested. That's a pretty big mass back there to control, like twice the size of your truck. The Tesla is about 17000 GVWR and 38 feet long.

Midtown
Explorer
Explorer
Well we're really liking the Tesla so I guess the only way to be certain is to go see if the dealer would let me take it across the scale.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one is going to say it is okay to be over RAWR, and especially tire max rating. The good news is your insurance would pay, even if overloaded and drunk. I would expect it would be canceled later. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Midtown
Explorer
Explorer
Right now the truck has a canopy, contractor ladder rack and a sliding sled in the box. I guess these items are about 400-500 lbs all together. I hit the scale one day with all 4 of us in it and the rear axle was exactly 4000 lbs. I figure once I take all these off and install the factory 5th wheel gooseneck with a Anderson Engeneering hitch I will hopefully be at 3800. That would leave me with 3200 roughly. I would put everything in the trailer to give me max payload. My fear is both these trailers will still be more than 3200 on the pin. It's very close, perhaps being a toy hauler we can load all of out bags and supplies in the back to try and offset as much as possible. I guess what I'm asking is if I'm over on RAWR by 100-200 lbs would you guys worry about it? My biggest fear would be getting in a accident and being denied insurance coverage for being over on weight, even by a small amount. My friend sells trailers and says the insurance company would only be able to go by the advertised weights, being 2700.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The camper loading sticker in the glove box is for a truck camper. Unless they've changed GM assumes you will have a passenger in every seat position in the truck. If you won't you can add 150 pounds to that number for each seat that will be empty.
Really, the best thing to do is just weigh the truck with your family in it and see how much room you have left on your rear axle weight rating.
Just by looking at your numbers you should be fine.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are certainly good to go with dry wts, and listed pins. Only you know what you will load into the garage, and trailer. Only you know what else is going in the truck, people, pets, and gear.

You need to load the truck with everything/everyone, full fuel, and weigh it, to see what is left, before going over GVWR. Pay special attn to RAWR/ tire max rating. The scale will tell you what is left for pin wt, plus hitch.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make your pin weight guesstimate from the trailers GVWR not the mystical dry weight number.
Take your truck to the scales loaded ready to travel and see whst you got. Dont forget to add 150 pounds for hitch, 250 pounds if you need a slider hitch. Subtract scaled weight from RAWR, thats how much room you have for loaded pin weight.