cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Pull-Rite hitch advice.

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
hopefully one of y'all out there actualy own one these hitches and can give me your opinion.
So I finaly installed my $200 Pullrite hitch found on craigslist and when I hitched it up to get the lower roller to have firm contact with the rail it took every bit of oomph I had and that was with the back of the truck lifted up as well, my question is this normal for the chains to be that tight with this style of hitch?
I attached a pic of the rig hitched up and you can see the bow in the bars.
All that aside I did go for a test tow and all I can say is it's kind of eariee the way it tows, what I mean is it feels better than a fifth wheel, with a fifth wheel you always get a little bit of chucking at the hitch but with this thing you get nothing, nada, zero feedback from the trailer transmitted to the truck no sway no push no pull I had to look in the mirror to make sure it was still there.
Obviously I love this hitch i just need to verify if this thing needs to be this tight.
[img][/img]
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1
8 REPLIES 8

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice Barney.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would lift up the back of the truck even higher if you are having trouble hooking up the chains. Yes, it is normal for the bars to bend like that providing the bars are the correct weight for the tongue weight of the trailer. You can verify if you are tightening the chains enough by going to a scale. Weigh the truck before hitching up the trailer, then weigh after hitching up. The front axle weight should be close to the same both times. If it is a lot higher the 2nd time, reduce the chain by a link and re-weigh. If lower, tighten up another link. You can also adjust by using the head tilt function.

One more comment. I would turn the safety chain hook around and insert it into the hitch bracket hole from underneath. This will result with the hook opening facing the trailer. Much less chance of it bouncing out that way.

Congratulations on a great score on the hitch. That is a fantastic price and you are really going to enjoy the towing experience!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Yeh I should have mentioned that it's the upside down fifth wheel setup from Pullrite for bumper pulls.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
ckwizard777,

Had to laugh at myself. When I read your initial post, I was thinking what the heck are you talking about. :h I need to take a better look at MY Pullrite Hitch. Rollers and chains? I don't think so! Later on when the pictures were posted....... I felt reeeeeeeeeeely stupid.

I was trying to relate the post to my hitch. One problem, mine is a 5th wheel SuperGlide model. Duh. LOL. :S
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You BenK
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Here it is and just need to simplify the code...the border stuff
too much...so the program barfed...

(img)http://i.imgur.com/qqbNGab.jpg width=580(/img)
Used ( and ) so that the program won't see the above as command code
Max width allowed here is 640

Bigger one
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
I give up tryin to post pics on this site.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
Mmm I dont see my pic lets try again.[img][/img]
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400