cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New mattress recommendations for not petite people?

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 starcraft satellite with a short queen. I'm looking to upgrade from the "plush mattress" that came with the trailer - it is definitely not plush to us.

Neither of us are petite people. My wife has back issues. Our current home mattress is a sleep number bed, we both sleep around 60-65 setting.

I've been reading up on reviews for short queen mattress and seems a few brands consistently popup. I've looked and sleep number bed is over 1500, a bit out of our budget, so we're looking for alternatives. Many of the ones we have found are on either too firm (we think too firm for us) or too soft - from reading the reviews.

I'd much appreciate if anyone can provide input.

Our current mattress is only good for max 3 day trip. I'm hoping to do week long trips in the near future.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We also always used a foam topper. Even if it's just a temporary solution until your budget frees up some (hopefully) and you can afford the better mattress it should offer some relief.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
In our last 2 5th wheels.....we went with Serta iComfortโ€ฆ.cannot be happier.
cpaulsen

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
We replaced the mattress in our last trailer with memory foam from Walmart, but current trailer we watched Craigslist and found a sleep number queen nearly brand new for $300. We have sleep number king at home and have had for over 20 years. It took awhile to find one, but had patience.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We replaced ours with a Zinus 12" foam. If we did it again would get the 10". It would be a little more firm. Tried the mattress topper made it too soft. Wasted our money. Live and learn.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not exactly what you would call petite at 260 pounds. We just replaced our mattress with:

Zinus

My DW is quite a bit smaller than me. We both like it having slept on it 10 nights. It is a little firmer than I expected, but that has not been a problem.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Verlo seems to be same realm as sleep number, bit expensive.

I never really thought about a custom mattress and wasn't aware original mattress factory did that.

We have a topper on the existing mattress, 3" i think, it helps but not much.

Thanks for the input all!

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Original Mattress factory will make any size you need. We have one in our home and camper

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
We added a good foam topper, about 4" thick to the mattress. That made all the difference in the world. I think we got it at Sam's Club. The topper was longer than the RV queen but they are easy to cut to fit. The additional height of the bed we had to get a small step stool for my wife to get up into the bed. My wife and I are also not of the petite group.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a foam mattress topper? We take the one off our home bed every time we camp and it makes a significant difference
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The absolute best mattress that nobody has heard of is Verlo. www.verlo.com We have two twins at home and two slightly narrower ones on board.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You already have a SleepNumber. Get one made for your RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Foam Factory
The foam factory has foam in various densities and can make it to what ever dimension.