cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Pro ECL Interstate batteries

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody used one of the new Extended Charging Life (ECL) batteries from Interstate. I am needing a new camper battery and these have lots of good things to say. They are saying charging and cell life technology like a closed cell battery(AGM) but at half the cost. And they cost a little more than the regular RV/marine batteries. Just looking for a real life story.
thanks
randy
Quote from website:

More Cycles, More Life.
Get more camping, more comfort and more fun with the Interstateยฎ Pro ECL Series battery. With more cycles and more life than the conventional flooded 12-volt marine/RV battery, the Pro ECL Series keeps your vehicle running 50% longer no matter where your adventures take you.
High-powered Value
The Pro ECL Series' cycling performance approaches that of absorbed glass-mat (AGM) batteries, but at a fraction of the price. With 100 repetitive reserve capacity cycles1, Pro ECL Series batteries offer you the best value for your money.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC
14 REPLIES 14

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put based on what I have read on multiple solar forums Interstate batteries suck. That said I have no personal experience.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before putting any money down people really should do some research on the differences of one battery type to another. Often they get caught up in the manufacturer or brand name. Trojan has wetcell, AGM & gel cell batterys.

The specs of each type are different. Everyone wants cheap. Cheap does not always mean best value. At home I have a pair of group 31 gel cell batterys. They are 12 years old & still load test very strong. They cost more than double than a wet cell group 31 case size which would have been trash after 4 maybe 5 years.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dakzuki wrote:
Marine/RV means not a true deep cycle battery. The only true deep cycle 12 volt batteries I know of are AGMs. All others are a hybrid. True deep cycle flooded batteries come as 6 volt (golf cart batteries) and are quite affordable. The down side is you need room for two batteries.

Someone should let Trojan know about the many 12v deep cycle (flooded) batterys that they are falsely advertising.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
Marine/RV means not a true deep cycle battery. The only true deep cycle 12 volt batteries I know of are AGMs. All others are a hybrid. True deep cycle flooded batteries come as 6 volt (golf cart batteries) and are quite affordable. The down side is you need room for two batteries.

I have 2 ea Group 29DC 12-volt flooded deep cycle batteries in my 5er.

Where is it written that deep cycle batteries must only be flooded 6-volt ? Or 12-volt AGMs ?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
majorgator wrote:
I can't tell you how many people I've known that have become completely dissatisfied with Interstate batteries in general.

As always ... it depends.

We had a couple of Interstate Group 29 12 volt 100 amp-hour deep cycle AGM batteries in our RV for about 8 years and just replaced them this past summer - and they still seemed to have plenty of life left in them when I removed them.

They were a great set of coach batteries, but like all Interstate batteries they were made for Interstate by a battery OEM and labeled as Interstate batteries. I believe that our particular Interstate AGM batteries were made by C&D Technologies.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Marketing hype.

Compare the AH @ 20 Hr rate of any battery you consider. More AH is better.

Another good comparison is weight, a heavier battery has more lead. More lead means more storage capacity and longer life.

Right on the money...
I can't tell you how many people I've known that have become completely dissatisfied with Interstate batteries in general.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
However, even if you have room for two batteries .... their shape may be important!

Our motorhome has room for two batteries - but they can't be tall batteries ... like 6V golf cart batteries are. As a result we have to use a couple of 12V deep cycle batteries in our RV's battery compartment. We current'y have a couple of Group 31 115AH AGM deep cycle batteries in the compartment, for a total of 230 amp hours.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
7ofus wrote:

And remember, a fraction can be 5/4 or 3/2.:)

Good point.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
"The Pro ECL Series' cycling performance approaches that of absorbed glass-mat (AGM) batteries, but at a fraction of the price."

A D-cell flashlight battery also 'approaches' the performance of a AGM battery. It doesn't come anywhere close but it does 'approach' it.

It is meaningless marketing jargon. It is like saying a heater puts out 'up to' 5,000 BTU. What it really means is that it puts out something less than 5000 BTU, and could be as little as 1 BTU but definitely not more than 5000 BTU.

The battery you are talking about looks like a starting battery to me and is NOT a good battery for RV use.

And remember, a fraction can be 5/4 or 3/2.:)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if Johnson Controls is offering the same ECL battery construction to their other customers, or if it's an Interstate exclusive. Then again, Interstate is a marketing company, so it may just be hype as previously suggested.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Tread with caution here as normal Interstate deep cycle batteries take a much higher absorb charge voltage then any rv converter will produce.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
"The Pro ECL Series' cycling performance approaches that of absorbed glass-mat (AGM) batteries, but at a fraction of the price."

A D-cell flashlight battery also 'approaches' the performance of a AGM battery. It doesn't come anywhere close but it does 'approach' it.

It is meaningless marketing jargon. It is like saying a heater puts out 'up to' 5,000 BTU. What it really means is that it puts out something less than 5000 BTU, and could be as little as 1 BTU but definitely not more than 5000 BTU.

The battery you are talking about looks like a starting battery to me and is NOT a good battery for RV use.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Marketing hype.

Compare the AH @ 20 Hr rate of any battery you consider. More AH is better.

Another good comparison is weight, a heavier battery has more lead. More lead means more storage capacity and longer life.