cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires For A Brand New Trailer

Abbadox
Explorer
Explorer
So as someone that has yet to own a travel trailer I have been watching YouTube and a couple of the videos are recomending getting new tires or upgraded tires when you buy a new or used RV. I plan to buy a new Della Terra. How do I know if the tires that are standard on it are good enough or if they need to be upgraded.
23 REPLIES 23

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve only gotten maybe two years off new tires on new trailers. Manufacturers get their tires from the lowest bid; you think they are quality!? Iโ€™ve had a blowout on a one year tire and the other two of four were separated. Thatโ€™s when I upgraded to higher rated tires. You really canโ€™t go wrong with higher quality tires replacing the cheaper ones. Even if you check them at each stop and have a TPMS youโ€™re still at the mercy of those manufacturer tires.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Run a brand new camper for only a couple seasons then replace the original tires?? If they are truly under size for the camper, sure. But if they are the correct size and in good shape, you should get at least 5 years out of them.

This is the first time I've seen people say to replace tires at 2 years... usually it is recommended to replace tires at 5 to 7 years old.

Has something changed in the camper and/or tire industry in the last few years I'm unaware of?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
It is easy to sell practically new tires to offset the cost of the new higher quality tires. If you run on the cheap tires for a few years, they will be worth little.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I used my original tires for 2 seasons. Tip: grease the bearings, even when brand new. I had a failure because the factory does not do a good job at it.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Abbadox wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
New....run for a couple of seasons

Used.....check the mfg date on sidewall if tires ---4 digit number week/year
Usually on sidewall that is on inside of trailer so you will have to crawl underneath to see it
If older then 4 yrs ....NEW tires

I know it is wrong to assume things but when buying a brand new travel trailer I would expect the tires to be fairly new as well in terms of the manufacturer date and proper rating. Am I foolish to expect this much or ?

Actually, the tires could be a bit older than the trailer. The frame probably doesnโ€™t change for years, and somewhere they may be pulling from an old stock of tires. Iโ€™d check them, but if not too old, use them until theyโ€™re about 3 years old.

Abbadox
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Usually on sidewall that is on inside of trailer so you will have to crawl underneath to see it

I know it is wrong to assume things but when buying a brand new travel trailer I would expect the tires to be fairly new as well in terms of the manufacturer date and proper rating. Am I foolish to expect this much or ?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the tires are fresh I would give them a season or two before you replace.
Otherwise post up the exact tire and size when you bring the trailer home.

I recommend getting tires that cover the full GVWR of the trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are โ€œgood enoughโ€ if they havenโ€™t aged out, if you donโ€™t overload the TT, if you keep the air pressure at the sidewall stated max pressure, if you donโ€™t exceed the max rated speed, and if you cover them when not towing. My TT came with load range C tires. When they aged out I moved to LR Ds.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad