cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no sway weight distribution hitches

s5un25n9y
Explorer
Explorer
In the last 1 1/2 years I've gone from friction (dealer installed) to a two way sway control then to a weight distribution hitch with friction bar. None of these controlled the sway I was having. So I looked for a different way to go. Most people say that the Hensley is the way to go. The problem I have is to do with how much they weigh. So with that I looked at the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution hitch and looked at others all during last winter. I used Youtube to help to see how each one set up (difficulties). After researching and researching I decided on the Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch because of how much it weighed compared to the others. After I put it on (about an hour) I took it out for a test run to check to see if there was any sway. My trailer was empty with only the battery, propane tank and spare tire. I had no sway at all. My first trip camping this didn't come until June but I didn't have any issues with sway. So I feel it was the right decision to go with it. My problem is I can't pick up really heavy stuff so at about 50 pounds I felt it was right for me. In the past I had to use grease on the ball but with this one no grease is needed. All I can say is so far so good. My hitch is an updated one that keeps the friction material in it. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Chevy Colorado Z 71 4 X 4 diesel with towing capacity of 7600 pounds max. I'm well in the limits because my 2018 Coachmen 21 foot travel weighs in at around 3600 pounds loaded.
6 REPLIES 6

blt2ski
As others have said, sounds like you are using a band aid, when you need a tu ternicut
As noted, figure out why the trailer is swaying, fix the cause, not the effect, IE sway!
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
You should try putting as much weight in the front of the trailer as you can. With a properly loaded trailer, a conventional WD hitch would work just fine. In fact, at your trailer weight, you can probably pull on a normal class III weight carrying hitch and it'd pull okay if you had it set up correctly.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found something that works! Hitches make a big difference.
Unfortunately, you still have the problem, itโ€™s just masked.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad it's helping out. I had an Andersen for a while and I liked it.

Make sure your tongue weight is between 10% and 15% of total trailer weight. Inadequate hitch weight is the most common cause of sway in a trailer of that (fairly short) size. Even though the hitch is doing its job, finding and correcting the cause of the sway is important.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If a trailer is swaying you could have an axle alignment issue or a to light on the hitch issue. You really should find the problem instead of treating the symptoms.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would look into doing more to keep the sway from starting in the first place and why you have it at all. With the combination you have, sway should not be an issue.