cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NPS experience

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
Purpose of my post is to relate my first experience with the NPS at Cape Lookout Nat. Seashore and to solicit comments about whether my experience was typical. Three parts, the good, the not-so-good, and the uncontrollable.
The good: I was contacted about 60 days prior to my start date, the volunteer coordinator was very accessable and answered all my questions quickly. I was scheduled to start Feb 1st but due to illness was delayed until Feb 15...no problem, get here as soon as you can. Full hook up site, with a terrific view of the sound and barrier island. Lots of wooded area on both sides to block the wind (see uncontrollable), and pretty easy access to park the rig. A short walk to work so I didn't have to drive. I worked four 8 hour days and was off Sun, Mon, Tue. The work (in the Visitor Center) was easy, fun, with lots of visitors to talk to. The staff, from the Superintendent to the maintenance crew was congenial and helpful.

The not so good: The site was sandy and the wind blows most of the time so it was almost impossible to keep a rug or mat in place and I got a lot of sand in the TT. There was a holy tree right in the way so I couldn't use the awning but it was so windy I probably wouldn't put it out anyway. The government has a rule or proceedure for EVERYTHING, so getting a decision pretty much took an act of Congress. I needed a sign on and password for the computer so I could check the weather and water temp on the NOAA site...had to take a three hour class online and pass a test on computer security, then my supervisor, her supervisor, his supervisor had to sign off on it, then send it to the regional office for approval...just to get the damn weather report, which I could access on my phone. Been here five weeks, leaving on Mar 30 and still don't have the sign on...ridiculus.

The uncontrollable: The weather was erractic as it's been all over the country, nice for a few days and not so great others. The wind blows most of the time and sometimes pretty hard so you have to be careful with awnings, etc. The area, due to it's proximity to the beaches is pretty pricey as far as gas, groceries, resturants, etc. There is a bit of hostility with the locals over the park "taking the barrier islands" about 35 years ago (get over it), but for the most part they were pretty nice, particularly when I told them I really felt sorry for them but it didn't have a dog in that fight.

During the season there are a lot of volunteer jobs available, some with RV sites, some with housing. Overall it was a very good experience. Any comments would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I have to admit that after reading it, I felt bad that your overall experience wasn't positive, particularly because we live nearby.

So it's good to get a clarification, and glad you've enjoyed our area. Too bad for all of us on the coast (everywhere this year!) that the weather has been so crummy all winter. Come back again.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Not interested in the argument one way or the other but I also read the OP as primarily a complaint.

Items complained about;
wind
sand
erratic weather
government red tape
high prices of supplies
bad attitude of locals

Four paragraphs and three of the four included complaints about something.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
Dianne, please feel free to delete this thread. It seems like every time I post in the Workkamper forum I get a troll who wants to argue. Maybe it's just me or maybe its time for me to quit this forum.

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
shenandoahvalley wrote:
Purpose of my post is to relate my first experience with the NPS at Cape Lookout Nat. Seashore and to solicit comments about whether my experience was typical.

You wanted comments and I commented that we had the same problem trying to get a sign posted.

The not so good: The site was sandy and the wind blows most of the time so it was almost impossible to keep a rug or mat in place and I got a lot of sand in the TT. There was a holy tree right in the way so I couldn't use the awning but it was so windy I probably wouldn't put it out anyway. The government has a rule or proceedure for EVERYTHING, so getting a decision pretty much took an act of Congress. I needed a sign on and password for the computer so I could check the weather and water temp on the NOAA site...had to take a three hour class online and pass a test on computer security, then my supervisor, her supervisor, his supervisor had to sign off on it, then send it to the regional office for approval...just to get the damn weather report, which I could access on my phone. Been here five weeks, leaving on Mar 30 and still don't have the sign on...ridiculus.

To me, this sounded like a complaint: "Been here five weeks, leaving on Mar 30 and still don't have the sign on..ridiculus".

Any comments would be appreciated.

I did comment and it seems you didn't want me to comment. :h
Perhaps someone else can try commenting so you get the comment you want.

Geez...I guess you just want to argue, but I'm really not interested.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
shenandoahvalley wrote:
Purpose of my post is to relate my first experience with the NPS at Cape Lookout Nat. Seashore and to solicit comments about whether my experience was typical.

You wanted comments and I commented that we had the same problem trying to get a sign posted.

To me, this sounded like a complaint: "Been here five weeks, leaving on Mar 30 and still don't have the sign on..ridiculus".

Any comments would be appreciated.

I did comment and it seems you didn't want me to comment. :h
Perhaps someone else can try commenting so you get the comment you want.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
And...just a FYI the computer BS is every year. You know that HSA and NSA have to be very sure that all the secrets of the visitor center are kept secure.

Try a paid position it is even worse every year. Big waste of money for sure.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should clarify my statements. THIS WAS A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I have enjoyed my time here, have been well treated and appreciated. One of the rangers would print the weather report...the point was the length of time it takes to get a simple sign-on, and that wasn't really a "problem". If you carefully read what I wrote, I stated that this was a GOOD JOB, fun, and the staff was very good to me. This was merely a statement of facts, not a complaint...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the weather, location from stores and dealing with the 'locals' can't be controlled. Basically your only problem was with the computer sign-on issue. Yes, from having volunteered at national parks it takes a lot to get through all the channels - for a computer sign-on and also for a regular sign of any sort (we tried).

If getting that weather report was part of your job then I would definitely talk to some higher-ups stating your frustration but that doesn't mean it will get resolved for the next person. If it was part of your job then how was the weather report gotten? Hope your next assignment works better for you!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel