cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nurse refuses to change bandage

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I,m currently at an assisted living facility, whiich is staffed around the clock by nurses. I had a procedure done at the dermatologist which required freezing a small portion of my skin. The freezing caused a fluid filled blister to arise, which is what he said would happen. He directed that I have a bandage applied later, which I did. About 4AM today fluid was oozing past the bandage.so,I called the nurse in to have it changed. She adamantly refused to do so, saying she needed the doctor's written order. Is that absurd or what? A nurse from this same facility put the bandage on in the first place, so why cwas a different nurse at the same facility not able to do so? I've never heard of such a thing. Have you? Rant over.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
17 REPLIES 17

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you move to a smaller community where people know each other. The large health care suppliers such as Humana no longer involve the patient

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Talk with the Nurse Manager of the unit that you are a patient. See what (s)he says....

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
What about the possibility she is not really a nurse. I know a few who call themselves nurses who are just aides and are limited in what they can do. That really irked my wife who was a RN and my daughter who is BSN.

No, they use real nurses here (at the least, they're LPN's)Anyhoo, all's OK now.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
The rehab places that my wife has been in require doctor's orders for instructions as to care. Thank our legal system.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
What about the possibility she is not really a nurse. I know a few who call themselves nurses who are just aides and are limited in what they can do. That really irked my wife who was a RN and my daughter who is BSN.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
We went through similar ridiculousness when my mother was in assisted living.

Other stupidity included staff confiscating all liquid hand sanitizer because one resident was an alcoholic and might have tried to drink it.

Glad you got your bandage changed. I hope you have a speedy recovery from you surgery.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the dAy nurse changed the bandage without question. I just contacted the docor'soffice and they're going to straighten this out.its a ridiculous system we have here.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
After dealing with a series of pressure wounds my bed ridden Dad contracted, I learned there are specific techniques for dealing with different wounds including how bandages are removed and applied. Some assisted living facilities use a variety of nurses with varying skill sets and training. Not all are trained in wound care so Dr orders are required to describe the proper wound treatment.

Please stop injecting common sense and reason into this discussion, we just can't handle it.
bumpy

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
After dealing with a series of pressure wounds my bed ridden Dad contracted, I learned there are specific techniques for dealing with different wounds including how bandages are removed and applied. Some assisted living facilities use a variety of nurses with varying skill sets and training. Not all are trained in wound care so Dr orders are required to describe the proper wound treatment.

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like the more we as a society learn, the less we know. Can't we use some common sense. This looks like a no-brainer. If the doctor left no orders to not change the bandage, I can't see where it would have hurt for her to change it. If she had a question about whether or not to change the bandage, it should have been her responsibility, not yours, to contact the doctor about any questions she might have.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
that is the way it is....talk to the doc....we are just old rvers
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a nurse she can only do what is ordered by an MD except in an emergent situation.
To do otherwise might be construed as the practice of medicine.
The first nurse did you no favor. If she was a nurse and not an aide. She should have called the MD for an order.
WHere is your summary from the dermatologist that explains what you had done and the aftercare instructions if you have that you may be good to go if not then Have someone (or You) call the md office and have an order faxed over.
END of the molehill.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Ask yourself "Am I a good patient?"

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just call your doctor and have him/her fax over instructions.