cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK. I give up. What are these hooks for?

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
At Lake Catherine State Park the RV sites have these green hooks, and I can't figure out what they're for. The entire assembly is probably six feet tall. There's a hook at the end that is obviously intended for something to hang from, but ..... what?

66 REPLIES 66

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt,

What part of NH are you from?

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
In NH and VT the Fish & Game Depts recommend taking in bird feeders from April to November. The problem is bears, and if they are attracted by feeders to your campsite (or to your home) they are hard to impossible to keep away and can do serious damage.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

mudhound
Explorer
Explorer
out of control Mother in Laws
:C

God Bless

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
We were just there at St Catherin's State Park a few weeks ago. We were on our way down to the RGV in TX for the winter. Very nice park.

I think AR has some of the nicest RV parks in the country. Been to a number of them. Especially like Bull Shoals and the trout fishing.

Thank you. Despite some of the negative stereotype, I'm very proud of my home state. And I've got a very good friend in Rapid City and have visited often. You live it a beautiful part of the country as well.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there at St Catherin's State Park a few weeks ago. We were on our way down to the RGV in TX for the winter. Very nice park.

I think AR has some of the nicest RV parks in the country. Been to a number of them. Especially like Bull Shoals and the trout fishing.

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ECones wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ECones wrote:
Our Arkansas raccoons would get to it hanging on that pole unless you greased the pole. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Same here. Besides they don't look all that high off of the ground. Our MN raccoons would just stand up on there back legs and pull it down.

I think the hook is about 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

We had bird feeder hanging on something similar in our back yard, and the raccoons would go right up it. I tried greasing the pole, but after a few tries they'd wipe the grease off the pole enough to get on up it with a running start. Crafty little devils.

If they are that high then the racoons will not be able to stand up and reach them after all.

I used a similar hanger for a bird feeder, and raccoons climbed the pole.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ECones wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ECones wrote:
Our Arkansas raccoons would get to it hanging on that pole unless you greased the pole. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Same here. Besides they don't look all that high off of the ground. Our MN raccoons would just stand up on there back legs and pull it down.

We had bird feeder hanging on something similar in our back yard, and the raccoons would go right up it. I tried greasing the pole, but after a few tries they'd wipe the grease off the pole enough to get on up it with a running start. Crafty little devils.

If they are that high then the racoons will not be able to stand up and reach them after all.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This past camping season was the first time I was at a park that had these. I loved it for the lantern. If the light drew bugs, they were away from the picnic table. I did see someone use it for a bug zapper as well. No wind chimes, please. My neighbors have had someone take their wind chimes down a few times. Can't figure it out.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave your 5 year old hooked and then hang the trash bag he will keep the coons away!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ECones wrote:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ECones wrote:

ECones
Explorer
Explorer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
You can use for a lantern but if you are tent camping you hang your garbage bag from them so the critters can't rip it open and make a major mess.

Ha, I'm the same as you. I immediately thought a garbage bag. It won't protect you from the bears, but it will keep raccoons and the like from destroying your trash and leaving you with a mess the next morning.

We usually don't use lanterns when camping, but early spring and late fall camping when the sun sets at 4:30 pm requires some exterior lighting by which to eat dinner. This past year we just clamped a utility throw light to the end of the awning. For next year I plan to buy a utility clamp light that we can use to give a small area of decent task lighting.

Very rarely do we have bright outside lights at night.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
In all the years that we have been RV'ing (reg. since '07), I have never seen a hook like that at our campsite. We have stayed at ALL types of parks (KOA's, private parks, regular RV parks, Etc.) but not public parks as we are generally to large.

And, a lantern seems like the most obvious use for it.

Safe travels,
MM.

Same here. In all the campgrounds I have visited in Montana and Wyoming, I have never seen one. That includes USFS, KOA, other commercial parks, Fairgrounds, etc.
there have been times when I wish there would have been one, now that I have seen them.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"