cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK. I give up. What are these hooks for?

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
At Lake Catherine State Park the RV sites have these green hooks, and I can't figure out what they're for. The entire assembly is probably six feet tall. There's a hook at the end that is obviously intended for something to hang from, but ..... what?

66 REPLIES 66

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
PapaNIes60 wrote:
I sure have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for the laughs. Merry Christmas to all my fellow RVers!

Ditto. I had my answer on the second post, but we've had six pages of fun and games. ๐Ÿ˜‰

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
If this were Family Feud:

Hang kid by belt loop: 42
Stripper pole: 25
Dress a deer: 13
Trash bag: 7
lantern: 1
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
I sure have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for the laughs. Merry Christmas to all my fellow RVers!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can use for a lantern but if you are tent camping you hang your garbage bag from them so the critters can't rip it open and make a major mess.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those are hooks for lanterns designed by non-camping engineers!!!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Those are most certainly for lanterns. Today, with most people using LED lanterns, it is not quite so important. But in the past (and still in limited use today) when people use Coleman (gas) lanterns, they often would put a nail in an adjacent tree and hang the lantern there. It was not the nail that is of concern, but the high heat from the lantern kills the cambium (xylum and phloem - the circulatory system of the tree) in that spot.

If you look around the trees that closely border most campsites, you will see big, ugly scars on many of them. That comes from people having hung their gas lanterns on those trees. These dead spots (literally open sores in the bark of the tree) can weaken and even kill the tree. I know this as a result of being both a forester and having managed public land campgrounds for many years.

The metal pole hooks give people a place to hang their lanterns where they won't do any damage. Of course, you can hang other things from there too. But please...not windchimes.
You win the prize.Colman lantern were a problem.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Makes me think about how far I/we have come in camping. Having a Colman lantern was first class camping a step up from the candle lanterns and the kerosene lamps. The hooks are a great addition to a campsite. It gives you a safe place to hang the lantern so that it lights the campsite but is far enough away to keep the bugs away from the table.
I wonder if I hung wind chimes off the pols and stuck a label saying "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY" how many would be there in a couple of mouths.
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
I am sure it is for hanging a coleman lantern but also could be used for hanging a trash bag.

It also works for a Ozark Trail Lantern.

I heard you have to turn the hook around for those Ozark Trail lanterns. ๐Ÿ˜›
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
Hang a bug zapper

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kit Carson wrote:
I am sure it is for hanging a coleman lantern but also could be used for hanging a trash bag.

It also works for a Ozark Trail Lantern.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Golfcart wrote:
Lantern, bucket light, drawstring trash bags, kids belt loop, retractable dog leash, etc

Its there for whatever you want to use it for.

The belt loop was the first thing that came to my mind too. :B

:B

I was wondering when someone would catch that ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
In all the years that we have been RV'ing (reg. since '07), I have never seen a hook like that at our campsite. We have stayed at ALL types of parks (KOA's, private parks, regular RV parks, Etc.) but not public parks as we are generally to large.

And, a lantern seems like the most obvious use for it.

Safe travels,
MM.
I've seen others on here seem bewildered by what they are, only conclusion I can draw is they never stay in public CG's, as every State Park, National Park, National Forest, COE CG that we've ever stayed in, has had one of these. :h

Same here. Every public park I've been to has them. I've been told that they're for lanterns, and that's what I use it for.

Though the stripper pole answer is better.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Golfcart wrote:
Lantern, bucket light, drawstring trash bags, kids belt loop, retractable dog leash, etc

Its there for whatever you want to use it for.

The belt loop was the first thing that came to my mind too. :B
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr.Mark wrote:
In all the years that we have been RV'ing (reg. since '07), I have never seen a hook like that at our campsite. We have stayed at ALL types of parks (KOA's, private parks, regular RV parks, Etc.) but not public parks as we are generally to large.

And, a lantern seems like the most obvious use for it.

Safe travels,
MM.
I've seen others on here seem bewildered by what they are, only conclusion I can draw is they never stay in public CG's, as every State Park, National Park, National Forest, COE CG that we've ever stayed in, has had one of these. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You are all wrong. The hook is where Wishbone hangs the dinner triangle.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900