cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok, Time to Come Clean and Admit Our Screw-Ups

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Admit it - we've all done some pretty dumb stuff in the name of RVing. They say a wise man learns from his mistakes. I say a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes.

So, here's an opportunity to be an honest man or woman and share our blunders in the spirit of alleviating another from undue suffering and shame.

To start it off here's just one of my recent faux pas.

During off season, I drain my hot water heater and remove the anode (don't ask why I bother, I just do). It rained so much here in California that water got into the opening where you screw in the anode and rusted up big-time. When it was time to get out of Dodge, I couldn't screw in the anode as the opening was so rusted. What a Dumb A$$!

Long story short, went to the homeless depot and bought one of these.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Cut some grooves so the crud had somewhere to go and voila! Home made thread chaser! Now i know this has been done by many before - it was a first for me and it worked out great.

Anyone else care to share?
69 REPLIES 69

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
rexlion wrote:
This reminds me of a joke. Someone once wrote, "We should all be humble enough to admit our faults. I'd certainly admit mine, if I had any." ๐Ÿ™‚

That quote came from my wife.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
chilly123 wrote:
Made my mistakes last season, going along the Oregon coast. Decided to stop at one of the lighthouses. The wife locked up the toad, getting ready to leave, I went to use the bathroom while she started up the toad and run through the transmission. I came out of the bathroom and we left. Went to stop at another place, got out and saw the headlights were on, told my wife she left the lights on. I walked back to turn them off only to hear the engine still running. Tried to open the door only to find it locked it's self??, the fear ran through us as we both realized that we didn't have a spare key??. Then we realize we are 30 miles to any town. Fortunately we found a lock smith in the town of bannon. The look on his face was priceless, as he exclaimed do you know your car is still running. I said yes henceforth that is why I am here, we now have a spare key for the toad. Same trip I also figured out not to listen to google maps, ended up on a logging road with the toad.
I do hope it was the town of Bandon!

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 during our winter trip South. When we reached Pennsicola Florida my check engine light came on in my 2006 2500 HD Silverado (Diesel). In stead of taking it to a GM dealer we took it to a nearby mechanic. Verified that one of the glow plugs was bad. Seeing how I had to have one replaced a few months earlier I said replace them all. That was second mistake. First mistake was taken it to him in first place. Well he broke one off. He ended up pulling head to get it out. I believe he did not torque head properly. On the way back home the head blew, stuck on I-65 for 4 hours waiting on Goodsam to send tow trucks.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

chilly123
Explorer
Explorer
Made my mistakes last season, going along the Oregon coast. Decided to stop at one of the lighthouses. The wife locked up the toad, getting ready to leave, I went to use the bathroom while she started up the toad and run through the transmission. I came out of the bathroom and we left. Went to stop at another place, got out and saw the headlights were on, told my wife she left the lights on. I walked back to turn them off only to hear the engine still running. Tried to open the door only to find it locked it's self??, the fear ran through us as we both realized that we didn't have a spare key??. Then we realize we are 30 miles to any town. Fortunately we found a lock smith in the town of bannon. The look on his face was priceless, as he exclaimed do you know your car is still running. I said yes henceforth that is why I am here, we now have a spare key for the toad. Same trip I also figured out not to listen to google maps, ended up on a logging road with the toad.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big screw up by parking under a cottonwood tree in a micro wind storm in a Colorado CG. The treetop 50' high and 4" diameter 15' hit the roof and scared the hel* out of us. That was the very bad news. The good news is that it landed flat between equipment and for whatever reasons did not damage the roof.

Guess how long it took us to move to a tree less site? Gorilla tape patched the holes in the A/C cover which was good for months. Later used fiberglass to repair the cover vs a new one.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I dropped a knife and it cut my linoleum.

I suspect I have greater screw ups ahead of me.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
One of my many screw ups was when flushing the black waste tank. Forgot about it until water was running out the entrance door. Filled the tank out the commode down the floor out the door.
Also tore off my Max Air fan on a branch in the driveway.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You go to class and you learn the book. Then, you go to lab,......and THAT'S where you learn about life. Then, you get a job,....and learn how to cover up your screw-ups.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I never really had a screw up over the road but i have had my share of breakdowns. Tire side walls cracking, trailer brakes failing, fuel pump shorting out, front axle going. But my biggest was leaving my water hoses and extention cords home going to a cg where the mast are far away. After a trip to Wallyworld in another state, now I have two of everything....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

nomad.297 wrote:

Through all of my time at this site, Bob has had the best stories. I read everything I see posted by him because it is never time wasted. Bob is a humble man and is not afraid to make fun of himself. I wish I could be more like him.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce ๐Ÿ™‚

May as well add a couple more....
Already mentioned here by a couple others, I too pulled the cork on my HWT when it was hot and under pressure. The tight turn on that big honkin anode rod should have been an indication that it was under pressure. Nope, not smart enough to figure that out. Almost broke my wrist when I tried hanging onto the 18" flex bar with the socket and the rod shot out like a missile. Of course I was right in front of it and lucky it spared the jewels, but I had to walk across the street to retrieve it. Then there was the big wet stain on the front of my pants and all that white gooey shcmoo all over me...

Forgot to latch the fridge door once... (OK, more than once) Got to my destination and most of the contents of the fridge were all over the floor. Eggs rolling around, jars of stuff, and nothing was broken, nothing that is except a full glass jar of pickled herring! :E Little rollmops and lots of juice all over the place. Ugh, that smelled bad for a while.

Left a roof vent open once, drove through Edmonton in a blinding thunderstorm, stopped for a break and had a lovely mess all over the table and floor and other stuff. Not sure where the vent lid got to but I'm sure it was on the highway a hundred or two miles back. Had to get up there in the pouring rain and tie a garbage bag around the thing until I could find a new lid. Used that as an excuse to put a Fantastic Fan in the hole instead.

Somebody mentioned a basketball hoop... Hmmm - yeah me too! Pulled up in front of a buddys house in Kelowna BC to pick him up for a fishing trip. Didn't see the neighbor kids hoop thing sticking out into the street. So I adjusted the angle of the hoop for him with the side of the TT. Put a big scrape and dent in the siding. Kid could now do a slam dunk easier with the nice bend I put in it for him. You're welcome! That was about 8 years ago. Pulled up in front of the same house last fall with a friends TT in tow. Saw the hoop this time. Same hoop, still in the same place it was last time I hit it. Same bend in it I put in 8 years prior. Made sure I didn't run into it this time. Not my TT, friend would be choked if I scraped it!! And besides that the kid is 8 years older and can reach the hoop easier.....

I love the RV lifestyle!!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
et2 wrote:
Put in my credit card and started pumping. After about 6 or 7 gallons I noticed the pump price was about 10 cents more than their advertising. I stopped pumping and went inside to inquire. They claimed they forgot to change it. I told them I wanted the advertised price. Not gonna happen.

This happened to me at a local station. They're supposed to change the road-visible last. When I went inside to pay, I mentioned that the board price was 4 cents lower than the pump price. He threw some change at me and said "Here's the difference." I told him that I could have called the attorney general and reported him, and next time I will.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Ever see a Truck & TT driving down town Pittsburgh PA? well that was me 10 yrs ago when I missed my exit, with white knuckles managed to find a hotel parking lot. Hotel attendant was kind enough to draw up some directions to get me back out of the city and back to the open roads!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Have to chime in differently
45 yrs ago 5 months into marriage, and in USAF as avionics.
Had pulled a radar unit from EC121 to work on with my new wife watching.
My DW asked if it could be a fuse.
I replied I have a tech book to use. Unfolded 4 ft of pages to start tracing symptoms to impress wife. 3 hrs later found the fuse.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
DW had one and I had another forgetting to make sure that the cargo doors were secured before moving the rig. Both required new doors, when they open at 60 mph the hinges just can't take the strain.