cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Over Wheel or Over Axle Tie Down Straps for Car Hauler??

GeeJay
Explorer
Explorer
We found that, with my worsening physical restrictions, making our 36 ft HitchHiker fifth wheel ready to travel and setting up after a day on the road were becoming more difficult and causing me more pain than I was willing to continue to endure. We made the decision to give up fulltiming and park the HitchHiker permanently in the Texas RGV as our winter home.

We purchased our Trek MH for the AB-TX-AB migrations and some touring from time to time whenever the travel bug bites. Hydraulic levelers, onboard generator and not having to unhitch will make traveling so much easier.

We have now purchased a tilt bed car hauler to tow our new toad/daily driver as well as a restored vintage Corvair which is the object of a current search.

We are wondering if, considering my physical limitations, fitting and removing over tire tie down straps would be easier than the over axle type. We would appreciate feedback from those using both types of tie downs.

Thanks
GeeJay & ElleJay w/"Camper"(cat)

Coaldale, AB (May-Oct) & Mission, TX (Nov-Apr)
2005 Safari Trek 28RB2 Class A
Ready Brute Elite Towbar w/Integral Surge Brake
2014 Fiat 500c Abarth Cabrio

"If you have to run your A/C or Furnace - you're in the wrong place!""
1 REPLY 1

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
As a former car hauler truck driver I would recommend the over-the-tire straps. that is what is currently used most often on commercial rigs. They should be easier for you to use as well. Since you will mostly haul the same vehicle I would place a wheel chock ( 4x4 crosswise ) on the trailer to help secure and consistently locate the car on the trailer.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer