Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight stops and Rest Areas

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have a trip planned from Michigan to Florida to stay a week at Fort Wilderness. To maximize our time, I think we will probably stay overnight at a Rest Area on the way down. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. First, is this safe anymore and allowed?

2. Slide outs - Can we put out the slide out at a rest area?

3. Battery and 7 Pin - Do you leave the 7 pin wiring hooked up to the TV? I would assume, No, as to not drain the vehicle battery. I'm also assuming that my regular battery would power the slide and all lights.

4. TT - 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29BH - Is it ok to use my stabilizer jacks at a rest area?

Would like to hear folks opinions/recommendations to those who have stayed at Rest Areas.
thanks
23 REPLIES 23

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer a cheap hotel just so I don't have to unpack. But I have camped in some cheap and free places for overnights.

Here's a web site I've used before that gives a list of free and low priced camping.

https://freecampsites.net
https://freecampsites.net
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlee wrote:
Thanks. Glad I'm not that snooty.

But then, I'll probably never go to one of those fancy RV Resort style places either. I probably couldn't afford a night there, and they probably wouldn't let my little old 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB in the place. They probably figure it would bring down their property values. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder wrote:
Atlee wrote:
???? ".... KOAs should be for emergencies only."

ppine wrote:
rest areas, parking lots and KOAs should be for emergencies only.
It was meant to be a slap against how some people feel about KOA's.
Well, some people feel if you aren't doing it their way you're doing it wrong. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, here is a site that gives some guidance for different states: Rest Areas Overnight
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Glad I'm not that snooty.

But then, I'll probably never go to one of those fancy RV Resort style places either. I probably couldn't afford a night there, and they probably wouldn't let my little old 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB in the place. They probably figure it would bring down their property values. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder wrote:
Atlee wrote:

ppine wrote:
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:

Lol, especially KOAs.... nice one!
Actually nothing wrong w KOA just not my typical first, 2nd or 3rd choice. Weโ€™re more boonie dockers than that.

Truck stops, Wally World, cabelas and rest stops etc are not campgrounds. Theyโ€™re a convienent place to hole up long enough to get some shut eye.
We use em sometimes, but also look for city or county parks. Surprising how many there are that are just nice little un manned parks. Pull in late, get some sleep, drop $7 in the can on the way out.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Walmart, Cracker barrel, and large empty lots, only one time have we use a truck stop, it was so noisy we couldn't sleep.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I've never stayed at a rest stop for than a couple hours. I've slept at a few Wally Marts with no issues. Seen many of RV's crashing for the night there as well.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
rest stops, truck stops and mall parking lots...
these all offer you enough time to get some shut eye so that you can move along as soon as you can.... but if you pull into a mall parking lot or a rest area early in the day and set up camp, you may be asked to move along sooner than you planned to...
truck stops dont care much if you stay a couple days, or even if you want to unhook out in the back lot so that you can do some local exploring.

as for disconnecting the cord from the tow vehicle so it doesnt drain the battery, most all new pickups have an option so that the trailer CANNOT pull power from the tow vehicle when the ignition is shut off...but WILL supply power when the ignition is on OR the engine is running..

this OPTION is usually activated (or de-activated) by pulling a fuse out to stop a direct connection, and the power will be provided to the circuit by another fused route when the ignition key is activated....

check the owners manual and it should tell you which fuse to pull... some vehicles come WITHOUT the fuse installed, and if one wants full time power at the power plug, they need to ADD a fuse...

as for putting down jacks, extending the slide, raising the awning, the flag pole and party lights, and pulling out the exterior tv, one can do whatever they want, wherever they are, illegal or otherwise, but these thing draw attention to you when it is best to keep a low profile so that may go unnoticed for as long as you can...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlee wrote:

ppine wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
We stop at rest areas, big box stores and wide spots in the road all the time. Yes, some rest areas have signs prohibiting overnight stays or camping. However, I've never been chased out or had an issue besides perhaps a running truck or an occasional horn. LEO's have much better ways to spend their time than rousting RV'ers. We only extend slides when nothing beside us can hit it. Over grass, over and end spot or the like. If you know where you'll be staying, you can use Google Earth to view your stop, check out possible one sided spaces and get a view of the entire area.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree. More than a few times, I've stopped at a rest stop and got an hour or two of sleep, when I've been tired. I always figured, it better there, than semi sleeping while driving.

Same goes for truckers. I'd rather them be sleeping at a rest area than sleeping while driving.

bfast54 wrote:
ppine wrote:
.....I fully agree ....rest areas by their very name ...are not meant for you to rest......S.M.H...:S

Rest areas are perfectly fine for you to catch a few hours of sleep so you'll be safe to drive ...if it's a heavily-traveled truck stop.... Do not put your slides out

obviously be aware of your surroundings at all times
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

ppine wrote:
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
.....I fully agree ....rest areas by their very name ...are not meant for you to rest......S.M.H...:S

Rest areas are perfectly fine for you to catch a few hours of sleep so you'll be safe to drive ...if it's a heavily-traveled truck stop.... Do not put your slides out

obviously be aware of your surroundings at all times
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II