Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight stops and Rest Areas

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We have a trip planned from Michigan to Florida to stay a week at Fort Wilderness. To maximize our time, I think we will probably stay overnight at a Rest Area on the way down. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. First, is this safe anymore and allowed?

2. Slide outs - Can we put out the slide out at a rest area?

3. Battery and 7 Pin - Do you leave the 7 pin wiring hooked up to the TV? I would assume, No, as to not drain the vehicle battery. I'm also assuming that my regular battery would power the slide and all lights.

4. TT - 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29BH - Is it ok to use my stabilizer jacks at a rest area?

Would like to hear folks opinions/recommendations to those who have stayed at Rest Areas.
thanks
23 REPLIES 23

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Think away from rest areas and box stores. Where some AHJs have restricted overnighting on gov. or commercial property, overnighting on benevolent property is not restricted.
Churches, lodges, Salvation Army, local school grounds, sport fields etc. are safe and empty. Call ahead, do your diligence and make a thank you donation

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
3. Depends upon your tow vehicle and if it has an isolator/relay.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most states that have Rest Stops have specific rules AGAINST overnighting. They are posted but I would not say they are always enforced or obeyed.

If possible, I would NOT extend my slide.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I generally stay in WalMartโ€™s and truck stops.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whole bunch of assuming, jlr. A little study (internet reading) might be in order.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at many rest areas in my long haul travels. Safe, well, I did have an elderly couple in an ancient class A try to kill me with their motor exhaust. They pulled in right on top of me during a summer trip, with both their main and generator motors running, both of which vented right outside my windows. Thankful the CO detector was able to wake me up before it was too late.

Never been approached by lot lizards, pros, dealers or anything else many seem to experience.

Never needed to put my jacks down or unplug the Bargman. I pull over late, it's time to sleep not walk around inside the coach.

Traveling in the North in the winter, the generator in the truck bed is running, for tank heaters, etc.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
...and no rest areas near urban areas either. Those rest areas are populated by 'ladies of the night' at night, looking for lonely truckers.

Floosieโ€™s? :E
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
...and no rest areas near urban areas either. Those rest areas are populated by 'ladies of the night' at night, looking for lonely truckers.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
1. Safe: pretty safe, yes. Truckers do it all the time. Allowed: varies by state. You'll have to check. The rules may be different for truckers, presumably under the notion that they know the rules about dumping waste water (don't do that) and the like.
2. If you don't interfere with the space next to you, then yes. If you interfere with the space next to you, likely no. Many rest areas fill up with trucks at night. It would make it obvious you're over-nighting.
3. No. Should you use enough power to drain the battery, you wouldn't want to not be able to start the car in the morning. That said, unless you run the furnace or watch TV all night, you're not likely to use that much power.
4. Yes. Put something under them (board, orange plastic jack pads, something like that) so that you don't damage the blacktop. That's just politeness.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500