cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Park Model Questions

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering putting a Park Model next to our mobile home for MIL to live in. I have electric in place. I will probably have to use a macerator to empty tanks. Any guidance? Do I need to put something under the tires. I've only ever camped in my camper in RV and State Parks.
2004 Rockwood Roo 23B (new to us in April, 2007)
2006 Nissan Xterra

When we camp, it's DH & me mostly. :B
13 REPLIES 13

dedmiston
I think it's kind of you to take care of your mother in-law this way. I hope it works out for all of you and I hope she is grateful.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
I have consulted with a realtor friend about this and it is allowable. There are others all over my Parish (county).

Yes, qtla9111, my questions have basically been answered. I'm open to all input. Input can keep coming. We will be putting an awning over it for shade. Just trying to make sure I think all of this out. Thank you all for all of this.
2006 Nissan Xterra

dedmiston
William Willard wrote:
To be classified as a RV, the park model can not be over 400 square feet

I think we're over 450 ft/sq in our 45' fifth wheel.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Pammi, did anyone answer your question? ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"Because it is considered an RV, I can park it next to my house legally"

But can someone live in it as a full-time residence?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

pammi
Explorer
Explorer
Because it is considered an RV, I can park it next to my house legally. Loose zoning regulations work in my favor this time. This one has holding tanks. I do have sewer in place but due to the 1/4" drop rule, the input is 24" off the ground. The RV output is 14" off the ground, hence the macerator. Yeah, I know it will get old, I am a glutton for punishment.
2006 Nissan Xterra

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
To be classified as a RV, the park model can not be over 400 square feet -- Anything over that is a mobile home -- When I started working in the park model business in 1977, we had to have holding tanks in them, but later,that rule changed -- Bill Willard

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
As others have pointed out, Park Models are direct plumbed and wired. Now I have seen travel trailers being sold as "park models" more to try and make a travel trailer seem more respectable as a semi permanent housing unit.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
a park model is nothing more than a mobile home that is legally classified as a travel trailer.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it has tanks. it is NOT a park model
They have no fresh tank
No "Holding" tanks
and a residential flusher toilet
They are designed to be fully hooked up full time Just like a mobile home but they call them "park models" for legal reasons.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
The park models that I am familiar with that are in RV parks in Arizona do mot have holding tanks. Hard piped from the park model to a sewer outlet. Also, they have a residential pottie in them. Now a park trailer can have or not have holding tanks.
Also as A1RealatorRick posted, you better talk to the municipality. Wheels on or off, what sort of tie downs etc.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dumping via macerator will get old quickly. Do it right, once.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you've already checked county/municipality ordinances for feasibility.

Are you on sewer or septic? Can the PM be added?

I've seen some exceptionally nice PM's -- it's amazing what can be done with 400 square feet or so.

Best of luck to you.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress