cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

paying for a new RV before delivery

SailAndPaddle
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new travel trailer, paid $1,000 deposit, and am now being told I can't get it the day that I have to finish paying for it. They want me to come see it, pay the balance, then schedule a demonstration and pickup time. Is this arrangement common? The dealer is a big place in Orlando Florida that has been fine to work with so far. I'm not financing the Jayco that I'm buying. Thanks folks!!
36 REPLIES 36

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
kakampers wrote:
There is NO way I would pay in full until the PDI is complete to YOUR satisfaction...

Ditto.

Did the same- $1000. deposit- on a new Jayco (in 2006).

The *dealer* paid for a walk-thru for the PDI by/with an independent RV service.

When I accepted/agreed with the PDI, paid for the RV (no financing involved).

Then - we "camped" on his lot for a couple of nights to see if any "glitches" turned up.

Then - a week at a local campground.
During that time, had the PDI guy out for what I *thought* was a problem - but it was my error. No charge.

Two year Jayco warranty - never any problems.

BTW - I would buy another RV from the same dealer again..:)

~

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would worry that the dealer has a cash flow problem. If you paid 100% in full and the dealer goes out of business they have no legal obligation to refund you your money and the manufacturer is not going to give you on of their RV's.

I saw a great many wedding venues in 2008-2009 that were taking couples money for weddings right up to the day they closed down the business and declared bankruptcy.

If you pay for it upfront you have zero leverage should there be a problem and then you have to chase the dealer. Better that the dealer should be on the hook to comply with all aspects of the purchase agreement.

Payment on delivery is the only safe way to do business. Most people have what I think of as situational ethics. The greater the dollar amount the less ethical their behavior is likely to be.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
musicman54 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Best deal I got was from a dealer that was 300 miles away. The whole deal was discussed over the phone. No deposit or anything, just word of mouth since we couldn't shake hands on the phone. I had a trade and when we showed up he directed us to our new 5'er that was inside the building. He showed us around the unit and pointed out what we needed to know then left us to look it over and said when we get done we could come into the office an sign the papers. After the whole deal was done I walked him thru our trade and answered his questions. It all was done on trust.

No way would I pay for something site unseen. Some of these dealers really play on peoples emotions.
what dealer was this sounds like someone i would do business with
I had the same experience with Bankston Motorhomes in Ala. Whole deal over the phone and no deposit.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

SailAndPaddle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody! Your feedback helped me brace for negotiation. Fortunately, not much talking was needed before the dealership agreed that we could do it all in one day. I'll arrive early enough to examine the trailer, pay, then have the demonstration and leave with it.
I'll be presenting a cashiers check on a day that the bank is open. I haven't asked for any modifications; its a new trailer with just a couple of options from the factory (15,000 BTU AC and fold-out sofa bed.)

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
If you go against the majority opinion here and decide to pay before the PDI, be sure to put at least $5K on your major credit card. You won't have the option of walking away, but at least you can contest the sale as being not as promised, and have a bank to back you up. Suddenly, they don't have ALL the $$$$.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think anyone is saying the dealer is a cheat and/or a thief. What they are saying is "Don't pay for it until you're sure it's right". Nothing wrong with that since, if you've bought countless vehicles you know that you lose all bargaining leverage once money has changed hands.

I mean who would pay for something they haven't had a chance to inspect? Especially something that costs many tens of thousands of dollars. I've never paid for any vehicle or RV until I've had a chance to do a thorough inspection. That's especially necessary when you consider the way most RV's are thrown together and shoved out the door by the factories.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
Is there a bit more to the story? Do you intend to pick up the rig on a day when banks are closed and there would be no way to verify your funds? Are you having anything modified or added to the rig? If so, perhaps the dealer doesn't want to make those modifications until they are sure you are actually going to complete the transaction. Heck, they may not want to take off all the protective coverings, spend time and money cleaning the rig, fill the propane tank and de-winterize it all to have you say, "I changed my mind" or "remember when I said I am paying cash? That really means I will pay cash if you can get me a loan for that cash".
I think it is reasonable to see the rig and then pay for it then have them prepare it for delivery. That's what I have done countless times when buying vehicles. I don't think you will find any credible accounts where someone has paid for an RV and the dealer just absconded with the money. I really don't think you will even find a credible account where the dealer just shoved a rig without a proper PDI down someone's throat. Contrary to what it sounds like in these threads, RV dealers sell and deliver 1000s of new RVs every week without problems and they are not members of a vast criminal enterprise out to cheat and steal from you. If it truly is a matter of completing the transaction today and taking delivery next day, that doesn't sound ridiculous to me.

This post is probably the best info you can get. Most of the people replying have never purchased a new RV of any kind. They purchase a used RV that is setting on a lot ready to go and call it new to them. If the dealers were as crooked as the posters make you believe, they would not last 6 mo. before they were closed down.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a bit more to the story? Do you intend to pick up the rig on a day when banks are closed and there would be no way to verify your funds? Are you having anything modified or added to the rig? If so, perhaps the dealer doesn't want to make those modifications until they are sure you are actually going to complete the transaction. Heck, they may not want to take off all the protective coverings, spend time and money cleaning the rig, fill the propane tank and de-winterize it all to have you say, "I changed my mind" or "remember when I said I am paying cash? That really means I will pay cash if you can get me a loan for that cash".
I think it is reasonable to see the rig and then pay for it then have them prepare it for delivery. That's what I have done countless times when buying vehicles. I don't think you will find any credible accounts where someone has paid for an RV and the dealer just absconded with the money. I really don't think you will even find a credible account where the dealer just shoved a rig without a proper PDI down someone's throat. Contrary to what it sounds like in these threads, RV dealers sell and deliver 1000s of new RVs every week without problems and they are not members of a vast criminal enterprise out to cheat and steal from you. If it truly is a matter of completing the transaction today and taking delivery next day, that doesn't sound ridiculous to me.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Thunder RV in La Grande Or.

They have a solid rep, and I've never bought from them
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they have a bank to pay or someone wants an early commission. I totally agree with the other posters. We put $500 down (on visa so we could dispute if a problem) for our $44k trailer and the balance with certified cheque only after PDI was completed to our satisfaction and hitch set up.

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
SailAndPaddle wrote:
I ordered a new travel trailer, paid $1,000 deposit, and am now being told I can't get it the day that I have to finish paying for it.

Adios Muchacho's!!!

Never have we completed the sales paperwork and paid for an RV until we've completed a top to bottom PDI and had those identified items corrected. Then we paid for the RV and completed the sale. Call the credit card company that you used to place the deposit with and place a dispute on the deposit and find another dealer to order from unless this one comes to it's sences.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Well, OP I think you have your answer....

I think this is the first time everyone agrees with each other!!!!!
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not pay before the PDI. Once you pay in full, you have lost any leverage you may have had.

If the dealer has all of his money, there is no pressure on him to fix any problems found at PDI.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps they are concerned that you can't or won't come up with the cash the day they clean up the trailer for you. (Which of course, should be YOUR problem to solve, not THEIRS.)

In that case I would simply say look here, I have the check ready for you. Send them a phone picture of it if they wish. But no, the check will not leave my sweaty palm until I've verified that all is well with the deal.

It's the way the rest of the industry works. They are jerking your chain.