cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying for a new RV before delivery

SailAndPaddle
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new travel trailer, paid $1,000 deposit, and am now being told I can't get it the day that I have to finish paying for it. They want me to come see it, pay the balance, then schedule a demonstration and pickup time. Is this arrangement common? The dealer is a big place in Orlando Florida that has been fine to work with so far. I'm not financing the Jayco that I'm buying. Thanks folks!!
36 REPLIES 36

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DON'T SURRENDER YOUR POWER!!!!!
Yes, give them a deposit, but final payment comes after successful PDI. Successful PDI includes repair or price reduction for issues found. We bought our unit from our local CW from the used inventory at a CW 250 miles away. Local CW wanted us to sign and pay before we even saw the unit, NO WAY! We made the trip to the remote CW and did a PDI, found some items and got an additional $500 off of the price. Once we were satisfied with the unit and the deal, we signed and paid. We had a Cashier check for for the price less $1,000, we covered the remainder with a personal check.
If a new unit and repairs are required, no payment until repairs are complete and unit is ready to be picked up and 100% ready.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Best deal I got was from a dealer that was 300 miles away. The whole deal was discussed over the phone. No deposit or anything, just word of mouth since we couldn't shake hands on the phone. I had a trade and when we showed up he directed us to our new 5'er that was inside the building. He showed us around the unit and pointed out what we needed to know then left us to look it over and said when we get done we could come into the office an sign the papers. After the whole deal was done I walked him thru our trade and answered his questions. It all was done on trust.

No way would I pay for something site unseen. Some of these dealers really play on peoples emotions.
what dealer was this sounds like someone i would do business with

Thunder RV in La Grande Or.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once they have your money, you cease to exist.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Best deal I got was from a dealer that was 300 miles away. The whole deal was discussed over the phone. No deposit or anything, just word of mouth since we couldn't shake hands on the phone. I had a trade and when we showed up he directed us to our new 5'er that was inside the building. He showed us around the unit and pointed out what we needed to know then left us to look it over and said when we get done we could come into the office an sign the papers. After the whole deal was done I walked him thru our trade and answered his questions. It all was done on trust.

No way would I pay for something site unseen. Some of these dealers really play on peoples emotions.
what dealer was this sounds like someone i would do business with

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I don't buy anything that cost more than $100 without looking at it first. Would you buy a car that way??? a house????
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tell them, you will pay on a successful PDI and instruction demonstration...not before. The trailer will be 100% before you complete the deal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What does the deposit paperwork say?
Otherwise PDI first, money second.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
No tickee no washee
NO PDIee no moneyee
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them "no deal" and "I want my deposit back" and they may rethink those demands.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER PAY FOR ANY RV OR AUTOMOBILE until you have the walktrough (PDI) Pre-delivery inspection.

If that is their policy, to have you pay first, ask politely for your deposit back and take your business elsewhere.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER pay before the PDI. You loose all leverage, even if everything is as specified. We recently purchased a 34' 5th wheel with a single airconditioner. It was an abnormally hot day in northern Michigan, the day of the PDI. The 5er was parked on hot black asphalt tarmac. The dealer didn't turn on the air until we arrrived. The A/C just couldn't keep up. The dealer explained that'd we would normally have the A/C running for hours and be parked in the shade. Well, after driving all day, I didn't want to wait forever for my sleeping quarters to cool. I refused delivery. The dealer asked my what would make me happy. I told him, a second A/C at dealer cost. He agreed and then added on installation costs. I told him that was BS and started to walk out. I was quickly cornered by the sales manager, who explained that the service manager just didn't understand. I got the air at cost with a FREE install.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
its posible you misunder stood them? never heard of paying first.. might ask them. I would tell them no ,not till after the walk thru. its your money hold on to it, till your happy, or a very aggressive sales person.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No way and for all the reasons others have listed.
Also, I've never had a dealer try such a thing.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same experience with that large Orlando dealer. Required a certified check before delivery. Worked out ok but had the vin number and signed contract before giving them the check.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer