Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paying for RVing or traveling

DogFatherFL
Explorer
Explorer
I do most of my RVing around FL. Travel by plane to visit friends &
relatives, who farther away. Either way I need to have money. I have CC (credit cards)and DC (debit cards). But,I keep my money in mutual funds, not at banks. So, I need some emergency way to get money, if the need arose. Traveler's Checks do not work like they used to. My CCs have large spending limits, but much smaller cash advances. Any ideas on how to carry more cash available with me.

Something like a GC (gift card) with the ability to get cash at an ATM. That also is password protected. I have used Amex & Walmart GCs in the past.They worked well for me. Sometimes they even give discounts on gas.

I would think a GC with the ability to get cash at an ATM and is protected in some way, from theft or loss, would be a great product.
Anyone know of such an animal?
37 REPLIES 37

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.reliancemutual.com/atm-card.aspx

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Do some research on CC's. I think Pen fed still offers 4 or 5% if you buy at pump. And I think Citi has a CC that gives you triple on air fares. Could build up points and could use CC for emergency's. And use local credit union (zero fees) that has debt card and use as atm card that is good all over US.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
We just pick up needed cash as we go. Picked a bank with offices most places (WellsFargo). Use credit cards when we can & pay the bills on line.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

motorcycle_jack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I'm retired military I chose USAA as my investment and bank institution. I can use their debit card at any ATM or retail store and get cash PLUS ยจSAA refunds any ATM transaction few up to 15 a month. Credit card and debit card with a cash option if needed but in three years REALLY haven't needed cash. So what's with you needing it ???
John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
Why on Earth can't you use your debit card the same way you intend to use a gift card? Any time you use your debit card in a store you can get cash back, and you can use your debit card at any ATM.

Why make things more complicated? Is there something I'm not understanding here?

I've traveled all over the world using one credit card and a debit card, spending only money from an investment account and not using a bank account at all.

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Go to your bank or credit card issuer and have the daily cash advance limit increased.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
either use cash or find a bank with an ATM in it. most places including restaurants have ATM's

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I have found cash works very well. We withdraw enough for the whole trip (usually six months), put it in our safe aboard the coach, and only carry a couple hundred at a time, replenishing as necessary. We save up enough in our checking account during the six months we are at home to have it available when we leave. Everyone accepts it! The problem with gift cards is they must be used at a specific place unless you get the VISA gift cards which are not much safer than carrying cash.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams