cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payload Capacity and Towing Questions

BigSpenda864
Explorer
Explorer
I Will start off by saying that I heavily researched the type of RV I wanted and was dead set on a bumper pull travel trailer over a fifth wheel. I wasn't ready to buy my RV yet but had to go ahead and purchase a new vehicle that would be my tow vehicle. I opted for a 2018 F250, Crew Cab, 4WD, Platinum, diesel. The truck will tow any travel trailer (or fifth wheel for that matter) that I am considering. The problem (of course) is payload capacity, something I knew nothing about at the time of my truck purchase two months ago. I was told at the Ford dealer, and every single RV dealer I visited (and I visited a lot of them), that the F250 I was going to buy could tow "everything on the lot except a few of the biggest fifth wheels." Due to all the options on my truck (which is very nice I must say), and the fact that it is a 3/4 ton, my payload capacity ain't great.

Now, I've started question whether I would prefer a fifth wheel. it would not exceed 35' in total length with advertised hitch weight ranging from 1600# to 2300# (I realize a loaded trailer may increase these numbers).

So here are the truck's numbers:
GVWR: 10,000
Front GAWR: 5200
Rear GAWR: 6340
Payload Capacity: 2145

So the questions are:

A fifth wheel with a hitch weight of 1600# will exceed my payload capacity once its and the truck is loaded with my family and junk.

1. It appears the negative effects of exceeding the payload capacity of the tow vehicle are: possible legalities, wear and tear, and safety. Any others?

2. What ways exist to counteract the negative effect of the wear and tear and safety? Air bags, more suspension, etc? I realize the trucks official payload cannot be increased but are there ways to safely handle the higher payload safely.

3. Do these solutions truly counteract the negatives of my payload limitations?
17 REPLIES 17

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
BigSpenda864 wrote:
I Will start off by saying that I heavily researched the type of RV I wanted and was dead set on a bumper pull travel trailer over a fifth wheel. I wasn't ready to buy my RV yet but had to go ahead and purchase a new vehicle that would be my tow vehicle. I opted for a 2018 F250, Crew Cab, 4WD, Platinum, diesel. The truck will tow any travel trailer (or fifth wheel for that matter) that I am considering. The problem (of course) is payload capacity, something I knew nothing about at the time of my truck purchase two months ago. I was told at the Ford dealer, and every single RV dealer I visited (and I visited a lot of them), that the F250 I was going to buy could tow "everything on the lot except a few of the biggest fifth wheels." Due to all the options on my truck (which is very nice I must say), and the fact that it is a 3/4 ton, my payload capacity ain't great.

Now, I've started question whether I would prefer a fifth wheel. it would not exceed 35' in total length with advertised hitch weight ranging from 1600# to 2300# (I realize a loaded trailer may increase these numbers).

So here are the truck's numbers:
GVWR: 10,000
Front GAWR: 5200
Rear GAWR: 6340

Payload Capacity: 2145

This is as it left the factory and unless you plan to tow as it without any additional loading..and you weigh 150lbs (that is the stand used for any person in the vehicle)...this capacity number will be wrong

Best to load up as you would ready to go RV'ing and weigh it axle by axle.

Then do the simple math to find out what is left on your GVWR and especially RGAWR

Most of the stuff recommended/advised/etc will change the orientation (how it sits statically and dynamically, but the ratings will be the same...unless you pay a PE/ME to certify a new rating...but that would cost more than just going out and buy a higher class TV

So the questions are:

A fifth wheel with a hitch weight of 1600# will exceed my payload capacity once its and the truck is loaded with my family and junk.

1. It appears the negative effects of exceeding the payload capacity of the tow vehicle are: possible legalities, wear and tear, and safety. Any others?

In my city...saw both the city PD and Highway Patrol making all vehicles stop on their portable scales. Didn't stop and turn around, as they might have made me enter that marked off lane

Cousin used to be a Sargent in Calif Highway Patrol and used to stop any setup that 'looked' over, but he was made to stop doing that after too many letters to management. He confirmed with legal that he was within the law, but too much politics on that one...he finally quit after one of his officers got his knees taken out walking between cars after they hit each other...back then bumpers had shock absorbers that got stuck compressed and let go later and the dead infant he had to pull out from underneath the dash

Saying non-commercial will/might soon have to toe the OEM/DOT/etc ratings...as eyeballed them weighing non-commercial in my city last month

Of course safety...OEM components are designed to manhandle the setup during a Mr Murphy meeting...while at those OEM ratings limits. Going over will have the setup less able to manhandle that setup

2. What ways exist to counteract the negative effect of the wear and tear and safety? Air bags, more suspension, etc? I realize the trucks official payload cannot be increased but are there ways to safely handle the higher payload safely.

Get a bigger or next class TV. It will be able to manhandle more and better during that Mr Murphy meeting

Sure in a way, but not the ratings. Take my vehicles. They all have highest performance braking components and my own special tune. My K3500 Suburban has out stopped a BMW 5 series where he bumped into my rear bumper. Didn't know he was 'trying' out drag me while out and about enjoying some new mods and retune of stuff. Running WOT from stop light to stop light...but my K3500 is still an 8,600 GVWR and 425 FGAWR and 6,000 RGAWR.

Tongue'n cheek refer to my Sub as a K3500...knowing GM never offered one. Ordered the F60 option to get 1 ton front springs. AAM rates my axle at 10,000 GAWR, but GM installed brakes/springs/etc lists it at 6,000 GAWR.

Note that there is only one person responsible for the setup and that is the driver. Even you chose all of the stuff, the driver is responsible...and...no one here on this freebie forum has any skin in that

3. Do these solutions truly counteract the negatives of my payload limitations?

Laws of physics dictate all of that and another note...the TV is s whole system.

Changing something (re-engineering) must take that whole system into account...where most only address a single to a few of the whole

Finally...all things designed/engineered is for the specification that addresses the worst case (AKA meeting Mr Murphy). All of the OEMs CYA themselves via their specifications and fine print on all ratings. When you re-engineer anything...know that and make sure that your re-engineering is ABOVE their spec and note that you now own the liablity of it all

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You can reduce squatting with air bags.

I've seen 250s pulling things that dwarf them, but that doesn't make it safe. I guess it depends on how MUCH towing you're going to be doing. You can get away with overloading for a time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You have your GVWR, now you need to know exactly how much you weigh loaded reafy to travel. Subtract one from the other. Thats your real world payload. Once you subtract 150 to 250 pounds for hitch you will be surprised how little you have left over for pin weight. Fifth wheel pin weigh%t will generally be about 20% of the fivers LOADED ready to travel weight.
Once you know those numbers you can then safely make a good judgement decision. You will get lots of " no problem, tow a 40 foot fiver" comments soon. Im not going to tell you yea or nay. Do the math.