cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Peeves in RV Parks

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of sounding like an old grouch, lets lay out our gripes about camping in RV Parks. I'm currently on Galvestion Texas for a month. Things were quiet until this truck and old camper pulled in next to me alast night. The guy is a door slamber. A constant door shut niose went on for at least two hours. He has a bunch of kids that were also loud but I can overlook that. Kids will be kids. Why didn' he leave his doors open while he set up. Then there is another neighbor who fires up a truck with loud pipes and lets it run forever. These are my two gripes of the day. Seems like every park you stay in has has the loud truck start up and idle. Part of the problem is sites are so close together. Anyone else?
126 REPLIES 126

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick story. Back in 2000, We camped at a local state park on a major reservoir on big river. We had a nice campsite across a small inlet from another site with a couple with a baby and dog. We could hear the dog bark and the baby cry. They kept a fire in the fire pit the entire time they were there. When the breeze got up the smoke blew directly into our site. Aggravating, but we were nice about it. Nothing we could do anyway. They packed up and left early one morning as their time expired that day. The smoke and odor continued. I walked around the inlet to see what was going on. The pit was full of cans and trash, and I believe every nasty crappy diaper the baby had used their entire stay there. Not burning, just smoldering and smoking and stinking. I ended up with my water hose with steamy stinking smoke still blowing toward us. It finally went out, but I did not envy the hosts that had to clean the pit.
I have wondered if I did wrong or should have let burn everything that would have. I guess I would do it again or maybe found another site
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
Our peeve is also trash in the fire pit. Only to be topped by cigarette butts all over the campsite. If you must throw your butts down, at least throw them into the fire ring.

Not limited to CGs on the butts. I have suggested to city council that cameras be installed at all traffic light. Use for deciding who is at fault in wreck, paid for by people that think we want to live in their ashtray

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our peeve is also trash in the fire pit. Only to be topped by cigarette butts all over the campsite. If you must throw your butts down, at least throw them into the fire ring.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Be nice if some folks who need a dog with them all the time could be encouraged to switch to a teddy bear, weighted blanket or Xanax. Would be cheaper as well.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
@Thermoguy - you're right, you can't stop a dog from barking. It's a natural behavior for them.

However, there are two things you CAN do:

1. For most people, the annoyance is more about the appearance of a lack of concern for others than the actual barking. If you, as the dog owner, simply make the attempt to stop the barking, most people will be fine. When you just ignore it while the dog barks all day long nonstop, THEN people get upset.

My Bat-dog had people fear. Because of that, she tended to bark at passerby from a greater distance than most dogs. It was her way of telling the passerby to keep their distance. One time, as a man passed our campsite, she started barking at him. I talked to her and told her he was just walking past and she had warned him to stay away*. The man laughed and said "you know her barking bothers you more than it bothers anyone else".

That's how it should be. The OWNER should be more bothered than others by their dog's barking. If everyone around you is giving you the stink eye because your dog is barking, then YOU are the problem. Make the effort to quiet your dog*, and they will stop being annoyed. If you have a young dog who still barks at everything real or imagined, just let your fellow campers know that she is still learning camping ettiquete - they will be much more understanding. This works when you have kids too - your kids' behaviors should bother you more than they bother everyone else.

There will always be the person who gets upset over a single bark - nothing anyone does will appease them. Your goal as a dog owner isn't to make them happy. Your goal is to show the rest of your fellow campers that you understand a barking dog can be annoying and you are trying to limit your dog's barking.

*2. Dogs bark to say something. They keep barking because no one is listening to them. You can't stop a dog from barking at all, but you can reduce the amount of barking by following this simple rule:

When the dog barks, listen to him.

If they are barking because they heard or saw something, first acknowledge their warning. Tell the dog, "oh, I see that person walking by too". Then tell the dog they did good for warning you, but that the danger is gone, "what a good dog to tell me, but that man is just going by so it's OK". THEN redirect the dog to a toy and praise the dog for redirecting.

What happens when you do this is the dog gets heard, given the "all clear" signal, and then rewarded.

If your dog is barking to come in or go out or because he's bored, LISTEN to him. If a human wants inside, they knock on the door. We don't punish them for knocking. So why punish a dog for asking to come inside? Instead, let them in when they are ready. Sure if you're in the middle of something, you can tell the dog "just a minute" - but if you actually acknowledge the dog's request, he will bark less.

My Tornado-dog is mostly russell terrier. At an early age, he showed all the barking frenzy of a russell terrier. I started doing the above. He still barks, but it is not the nonstop psychotic barking that so many russell terriers do.

At 2 years old, when he wants in, he will bark once. I acknowledge his request. Sometimes I say "did you poop?" and he will run off into the yard for a bit longer. Sometimes, I say "just a minute" and he will wait at the door. Sometimes, I let him in immediately. But the one constant is that he knows I heard him and am not ignoring him. So he doesn't bark and bark and bark and bark while I pretend he doesn't exist.

Likewise, if he hears something and barks, he will then turn to me for acknowledgment and my threat assessment. He doesn't need to bark for hours because I listen to him.

So many people want a dog as a guard dog, but then ignore the dog's warnings. That frustrates the dog and just makes her bark more and more and more.

Acknowledge the dog's warning, assess the threat, then redirect and reward. Your dog will bark when she hears/sees something, but won't go on and on and on.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing wrong with a bark or two at times.
It is the constant bark that is dam annoying.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
"......most likely like some on here you will be annoyed , yes get over it."

Unfortunately, that is the attitude of many people with noisy dogs.

No ,not my attitude its just a fact ,they will let out a bark or two at times before being told to stop . I agree dogs left alone in an Rv to bark is annoying . I am not one of those owners , but I will repeat to make a point ,get over it if you hear a bark or two at times .

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow57 wrote:
Wow I guess I have been guilty of most of these things everyone complains about. Thank goodness we travel with a pretty big group. We go to many state parks that have horse facilities and if you encounter our group you are going to be very unhappy. We have lots of music and sometimes a PA, we have never had anyone complain most just usually join in. Let me explain why sometimes those lights are on, try carrying food between campsites or cleaning up the mess. You all fuss about not picking up after dogs, but how can you pick it up if you can't see it, plus I worry about snakes and alligators. If I had a $ for every time I tripped over a fire ring I would be rich. I turn them off when I go to bed. You all would have loved the first time I put a movie in the DVD and didn't realize I was blasting the campground via outside speakers. Thank goodness the dog had to go out. I will pay attention to my outside lights when not camping with my friends.

We have met some of the nicest and strangest people camping. One lady was very offended when my husband offered to get her fire started with a torch. We realized she was a true naturalist when she pitched her tent in the middle of poison ivy. Lots of poison ivy.

You know that using a headlamp, will solve your light problems without turning on a bunch of lights. We always use our headlamps when it gets dark, so we don't impact our campground neighbors.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
"......most likely like some on here you will be annoyed , yes get over it."

Unfortunately, that is the attitude of many people with noisy dogs.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
PEOPLE not keeping their dogs from barking!!!

My dogs only bark when someone comes around my campsite - if they stay away then they don't bark...

How do you stop a dog from barking? I yell at them but then you get to hear the dog bark and a person yelling...

Train them from a young age that there is no need to bark about nothing.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

My dogs only bark when someone comes around my campsite - if they stay away then they don't bark...

How do you stop a dog from barking? I yell at them but then you get to hear the dog bark and a person yelling...

Very easy to train a dog not to bark. It's people are too lazy to spend the time and energy needed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all campgrounds are basically the same as an apartment complex. If you chose to stay there, then you have to deal with the neighbors and their behaviors. We only stay at a crowded campground on Memorial day weekend. We see all kinds of interesting people... After that we boondock and try to stay where no one else is around us. We still end up with neighbors typically but not the annoying ones that want to party...

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I guess I have been guilty of most of these things everyone complains about. Thank goodness we travel with a pretty big group. We go to many state parks that have horse facilities and if you encounter our group you are going to be very unhappy. We have lots of music and sometimes a PA, we have never had anyone complain most just usually join in. Let me explain why sometimes those lights are on, try carrying food between campsites or cleaning up the mess. You all fuss about not picking up after dogs, but how can you pick it up if you can't see it, plus I worry about snakes and alligators. If I had a $ for every time I tripped over a fire ring I would be rich. I turn them off when I go to bed. You all would have loved the first time I put a movie in the DVD and didn't realize I was blasting the campground via outside speakers. Thank goodness the dog had to go out. I will pay attention to my outside lights when not camping with my friends.

We have met some of the nicest and strangest people camping. One lady was very offended when my husband offered to get her fire started with a torch. We realized she was a true naturalist when she pitched her tent in the middle of poison ivy. Lots of poison ivy.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
If your looking for things to complain about at the other guys site, I'm sure you can find something each trip.
If you are putting in the effort to enjoy your own site you won't care what the other guy is doing.
Sometimes the key to a successful camping experience is MYOB - Mind Your Own Business.
Try it sometime and you won't have to post about your Pet Peeves on the net.

What goes on at a neighbouring site is none of my business until it encroaches on the enjoyment of my site.

I have no interest in listening to to your barking dog, your arguments, your music or having your Vegas lights shining in my face.

I will also return the courtesy by endeavouring to be sure that none of my activity affects the enjoyment of your site in any way.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995