cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pound of Butter in my heat ducts! Oh Nooooooooo!!

Sigh! Here we go again with another story in the adventures of Bob!

Saturday night I left the coast of BC to head to Alberta to work. I was late getting away - left at 9PM. 2 AM I pull into Salmon Arm and Wallydocked overnight there.

Got into Calgary around 5 PM Sunday, had the evening to set up the TT, put stuff away, cleaned the floors and so on. Hung my clothes up and put things in the drawers etc. Usual stuff.

Open the fridge, arrange the groceries I brought with me, take the new pound of butter out and place it in my little rectangular Rubbermaid container I bought just for that purpose many years ago. Stick it on the counter by the wall, beside the stove where I always keep it...... Pay attention to this detail!!

Worked into the night, got everything the way I like it and went to bed about midnight.

Up at 6:40, furnace is blowing cold so I go outside and switch bottles. Furnace still blowing cold and the refer check light is on. Hmmm, guess I forgot to fill the bottle last time out and now they are both empty. No sweat, take them off and go get them filled and flash up the fridge and furnace again. lots of heat now.

OK, time to hit the trail, first work project is clear across the city in the opposite corner. I leave the furnace running so it can catch up to my little outage. A while later I arrive, unhitch the TT and quickly level it, going inside to stick my level on the fridge.

Hmmmm whats that funny smell? Oh well check it out later.

Later comes along and I go into the TT to get something. Theres that funny smell again. This time I pay attention, standing there sniffing it in to try and identify it.

Sniff sniff sniff, seems familiar.. Not sure. Kinda smells like melted butter......

MELTED BUTTER!!!!!:E I cast a quick glance to the counter and my butter container is gone! Where is it?

I look on the floor under my table and there it is. :M
It went off the counter slid across the floor and scored a perfect bullseye, on its side, directly on top of my heat register!! :E:E And of course, the furnace is running so I need not say where the butter went.....

I drop to the floor, quickly grab it and the danged thing is empty! And there is no butter on the floor.

Ohhhhhh man - a full pound of butter, melted and running in my heat ducts. What are the chances??? extremely remote, for sure.

I bet NOBODY here has ever had that happen.

So now what? How on earth am I going to get a pound of molten butter out of my heat ducts. Ewwwww.

Maybe if I get a big rag soaked in acetone or gasoline and run it in there somehow. Should be ok until the furnace starts up! BOOM!!! No more butter in there. No more TT. No more Bob!! :B Nah, better think of something else.

Gee whiz, what a disgusting mess. And I have to keep the furnace running to keep the place warm. The stuff will not harden.

Man o man, how to remove it. Can't get my arm on there, the duct is too small.

What to do, what to do?

I hope ants don't like butter... :E

And why is it that every time I came in the TT today I got this weird craving for popcorn?

Sigh.....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
61 REPLIES 61

Cloud Dancer wrote:
You'll have to wait for the type of weather that will allow you to remove and replace the complete duct.
I'm not an expert, don't know if Canada ever gets this type of weather....???
You might need to pull the rig further south?

Too funny!! LOL!

Where I live, the tulips will be poking up soon. We don't often get snow, and when we do it melts quickly.

West coast of Canada is warmer than most of the lower 48 in the winter.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

pianotuna wrote:
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly---

..........She's dead, of course!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Even Alaska can bake.

Cloud Dancer wrote:
You'll have to wait for the type of weather that will allow you to remove and replace the complete duct.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know an old lady who swallowed a fly---
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Find a couple of hungry mice and let them loose in the ducts. Next day get a hungry cat. When it it all resolved you should have no problem selling a well fed, happy cat.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in the heat duct it is bound to have solidified some by now. Rent somebody's little kid with small arms and have him scrape it out with a putty knife. Does the people your working for got any kids? After they get done laughing at you they might let you borrow one for free.

I get a lot of work out of the neighbors kids. Problem is, just after you get them all trained in they retire and go off to college.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't see the problem, just pour in a pound of popcorn kernels and crank up the heat.

๐Ÿ™‚

Yeti plus wrote:
BOB
You have to stop taking jobs in Alberta!! I laugh at your escapades, but feel your pain. On your next move , put some dish detergent on the counter so it can slip slide around and leak into the duct to clean out the butter:)
I was thinking oven cleaner, but the smell from it would drive you out of the trailer. Maybe once the weather warms or you get back home and you won't be using the trailer for a few days, then try the oven cleaner, but it will not be easy to wipe it out either.
With all your "fun" in the last 2 or 3 months maybe we should get the Discovery Channel to send a film crew to follow you around." Bob the Sunroom King" would be a good show. Show sunrooms being installed and RV escapades all in one show!! :B
Brian

LOL!
Thanks, got a good laugh out of that one.

But at least I can poke fun at myself and laugh about it too.
I do seem to have my share of escapades for sure!
It keeps life interesting.

But I think I'll pass on the oven cleaner. That stuff would do more damage than the butter!!

But maybe if I stay in Alberta long enough I'll make enough extra coin to trade up to the Tango I have been dreaming about getting!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Will this help? Paula Deans fried butter balls
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
BOB
You have to stop taking jobs in Alberta!! I laugh at your escapades, but feel your pain. On your next move , put some dish detergent on the counter so it can slip slide around and leak into the duct to clean out the butter:)
I was thinking oven cleaner, but the smell from it would drive you out of the trailer. Maybe once the weather warms or you get back home and you won't be using the trailer for a few days, then try the oven cleaner, but it will not be easy to wipe it out either.
With all your "fun" in the last 2 or 3 months maybe we should get the Discovery Channel to send a film crew to follow you around." Bob the Sunroom King" would be a good show. Show sunrooms being installed and RV escapades all in one show!! :B
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the duct is hot but off pour a bunch ,of popped corn down the duct and let it soak up the butter. Jump the connections on the blower motor and then turn it on and whalla hot buttered pop corn. Catch it in the dirty clothes basket...or maybe not. ๐Ÿ™‚

C Schomer wrote:
I'd rather have to fix that problem than when we left 1 lb of raw ground beef in our freezer after a camping trip in the summer. I figured it out when I could smell it from 50' away. I never saw such a huge pile of maggots! Craig

Ewwwwwww - nasty!!

It is not the flex aluminum ducts.
It is the old style rectangular galvanized steel ducting.

Ripping open the underbelly and removing them isn't going to happen in this weather. It is rather cold out and I am set up on freezing concrete amidst snow drifts. The only time I have is after work in the later evenings when it is dark outside.
Not the best work environment.

But I need the furnace to keep the place from freezing too. Sigh!

If I rip open the underbelly, then I have to patch it and keep it waterproof....

I think this project is going to have to wait a while...