cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

power awning question.

dbcoop
Explorer
Explorer
Hello I have a 2013 komfort 5th with a power awning. Does anyone with a power awning know of a way to lower one side a bit in a rain storm to divert the flow of water? Never had a problem with other awnings but last week we were in a day long storm and I could not see a way to lower either side.

Dave
2013 komfort 5th 27 ft
2015 f350 fx4
23 REPLIES 23

jcullipher
Explorer
Explorer
Different brands/Models have different settings. If you do not have the manual, check online for your brand and model. Most have downloadable manuals.
2013 Thor Motorcoach Challenger 37DT
Ford V10, 38ft
Blue Ox towbar and baseplate
2011 Jeep Wrangler using Invisibrake.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
thirteen wrote:
While on the subject of power awnings, what do people like? I need to replace the fabric on my 5th wheel awning and I was thinking of taking it off and going power. I don't care how much work it is to install, that doesn't both me. Anyone have any strong likes or dislikes on the brands and models?

I live in a area of usually windy days. I don't use my manual awning much because I'm afraid the wind will come up suddenly and rip it off. I was at the park earlier this year on a day that the weather service said could become windy. As I walked around the park I noticed that only the people with electric awnings had theres out. All the people with manual awnings had left there rolled up.

Haven't had my awning out in 2 years.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i would read the manual because not all electric swning have the self dump or a way to lower one side the one i have is fixed in the position it is the only way i can get it to dump is use a broom to push up on it or start to roll it up
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Care Free power awning from Colorado Awning. Each side has limited adjustments but yes one side can be lower than the other and rain does flow off without having to create a big pool first.

The awning retracts just fine with one side lowered and the owner's manual says it's fine to retract it that way. I don't have the auto retract.
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
The sides on my electric awning can be lowered, but no where near as much as manual awnings I have/had. Have you looked at the owner/operator's manual for your awning? You can probably find one online, if you don't have one.

The awning I have has the push clip type of adjustment located on the sliding arm that runs in the channel mounted on the trailer.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

thirteen
Explorer
Explorer
While on the subject of power awnings, what do people like? I need to replace the fabric on my 5th wheel awning and I was thinking of taking it off and going power. I don't care how much work it is to install, that doesn't both me. Anyone have any strong likes or dislikes on the brands and models?

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious! If an auto retract (wind sensor) awning is low on one end to off load water, what happens if the auto retract activates? Will the awning retract normally or will the difference in the height, one end to the other, be a problem. Lowering one end of an awning that has a load of water will likely result in damage to the awning mechanism, if not the tarp, and to anyone in the way. The wight of the water will likely overpower anyone trying to "tilt" the awning.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the series if it has the feature to lower one end. But as a general precaution, we do not leave the awning out in a rain storm. Too easy to roll up and much too easy to be damaged.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldchief7155 wrote:
Call the manufacturer with the model and they can advise. Also, if your awning has auto retract for winds I don't think I'd put deflappers on it.

Or simply download the manual for your model.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
Call the manufacturer with the model and they can advise. Also, if your awning has auto retract for winds I don't think I'd put deflappers on it.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
dspencer wrote:
What limited experience I have with power awnings I can tell you that my power awning has an arm that you just pull down on one side to adjust the slope. Now I also know some has a small knob that you have to loosen before you can pull the arm down too adjust it.

That's how mine is too, so it is possible to "dip" the type of awning I have. Don't know about other brands. I loved my old manual awning but the our new trailer came with a power awning so that's fine too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
What type of awning do you have?
We have a Dometic/ A&E that didn't have the ability to lower one side. We just installed the free, adjustable arm kit on ours last weekend. It was a quick 10 min install.
PM me if you need the info.
Cheryl
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are some that do, mine does not. Rather it "auto-dips" to drain water
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Our electric awning has 6 adjustments on each arm, you just compress the ball with your finger and move the awning arm up or down to the next hole.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU