cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Center/Converter Recommendations

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm doing a very small Truck Camper Resto-Mod, so there is extremely limited space for extra gadgets. But I want a little modernity in this 1968 vintage unit, thus the Mod part. Doing 30 amp inlet. Minimal electrical needs, but hard to describe because that's a little bit subjective. I think a 35-40 amp unit will be plenty good.

I bought a WFCO 35 amp Power Center, all in one. The AC breaker box, the DC circuit breakers, the converter, the three stage battery charger.

Am told it will hardly ever get into bulk charge mode, but I see lots of good reviews on the unit! Others say too bad I got it, should have picked an IOTA or Progressive Dynamics. But it appears most of those are converter only and I'd have to assemble all the other components separately.

Am told those units are great reviews, but again, the reviews I read on WFCO was pretty great too. What gives? Anybody have ideas for a reasonably price power center for my smaller needs?
16 REPLIES 16

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Dave,

My oem E-450 class c came with a 60 amp fuse which I blew three times. I replaced it with a 50 amp automatic circuit breaker and I doubled up on the charging path installing a second #8 wire to my auxiliary battery bank. Some folks have upgraded to #4. Some have added external rectifiers to take the strain off the alternator diodes. Many folks have added solar.

The longer the run the greater the need for thick wire, but the chassis battery may cause the amps to taper.

Thank you!

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh and one more thing. Both units are about the same size, but the PD is slightly larger in both cut-out and physical dimensions. Good to know if I have to replace the WFCO, because I think I'm just going to give the WFCO a whirl after all.

In my unique application (cabinet double opening size), I'd need to do a slight heavier modification if I went with the fractionally larger PD, specifically in height of the sunken surface mount aspect.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm gave a few replies back a link to PD. Shopping on Amazon Prime I see (free shipping) the PD4045 (45 Amp, 10 more amps than my WFCO 35) at about $148, but there is one review with a caution which implies this is an imposter unit. Is that possible? As if it wasn't already hard enough to make good consumer choices.

My Amazon Prime WFCO 35 was about $118. The packaging looks correct for a non-imposter, but what does imposter packaging look like anyway?

Also, at least one WFCO review was positive as a replacement for a PD.

Just food for thought.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there will be individual conclusions based on a given person's experience with one or through good faith believing other's experiences, just like any other product.

One good point I've heard on this subject deals with a reply speaking to "instructions describe knocking out the bulk charge ability with an accidental reverse polarity hook-up". That simple, easy to do thing for men, (we dislike instructions?) might be a great deal of the issue. The Progressive Dynamics mighty mini, I think it's called, describes having a reverse polarity protection circuit. But it costs more. But it made in USA WFCO is China. All aspects to consider. I hear Iota is great but it's not a power center. I hear Bestconverter is good but know nothing about them - yet?

Of course there are other aspects, any of which could be true. But it seems each has good and bad reports. There ya go.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
I used a WFCO 35 to refurb an old Palomino hard-sided pop-up, and it worked fine. The battery never had an issue and the power output was very clean (much better than the original unit).
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a WFCO for my previous camper. It was supposed to be 3 stage. But as far as I could tell, it never went into bulk or maintenance mode.

I recently upgraded the Parallax 6332 in my present camper with a PD4645. It performs as advertised. I am pleased with it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Dave,

My oem E-450 class c came with a 60 amp fuse which I blew three times. I replaced it with a 50 amp automatic circuit breaker and I doubled up on the charging path installing a second #8 wire to my auxiliary battery bank. Some folks have upgraded to #4. Some have added external rectifiers to take the strain off the alternator diodes. Many folks have added solar.

The longer the run the greater the need for thick wire, but the chassis battery may cause the amps to taper.

Dave Pete wrote:
Since you bring it up, what amperage breaker, and gauge wire should be used between truck fuse block/connection center, and the camper for the charging circuit?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8xym: Thanks. I'll check it out when I get a minute. Higher priorities right now, grandson's track day ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I think if I recall what I said correctly, that technician's statement was simply a verification that the unit was a three stage, and that it would drop into trickle, therefore allowing me to simply keep it plugged in during storage, as opposed to removing batteries every winter. But I may have been unclear on that too.

Since you bring it up, what amperage breaker, and gauge wire should be used between truck fuse block/connection center, and the camper for the charging circuit?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have only one recommendation.. (Actually several but all on the same web page)

PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS Charge Wizard conrolled convertr/panels.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/rv_products.html

There are some converters that I'd rate "Just as good" for most RVers.. NONE I would rate better.. Pick the specific panel that best meets your needs.

Oh.. I believe "MADE IN USA" applies as well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Good charging while trundling down the road may need beefing up the wire.

If the existing inverter runs the Television without "noisy" then jut continue to use it.

I thought one of your posts talked of speaking to a wfco representative who convinced you 3 stage charging was a goal worth having.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for your well considered and realistic opinions.

pianotuna: actually, I don't think it says anywhere that I actually "wanted a 3 stage converter". What I prefer most is the simplicity of a combined unit found in a "power center" and even that was unstated. So I apologize if I came across unclear to you either here or on this original post.

Install of Power Center

With my very small camper, and with how fully I'm packing it with goodies, I prefer the combination for all that stuff in a power center.

And as I said, this WFCO 35 seems to have pretty good reviews where I've found them, and the other gentleman stating it's the 55 Amp with the problem. Perhaps your experience or specific knowledge or understanding is with the 55 Amp? And even if not, I'm not at all certain a two stage charger would be that detrimental to me, especially in cost savings and considering the assembly of all the other components. The main things I need are a Normal, and a Trickle.

At any rate, Lil Queeny doesn't, and won't, have a generator. Solar likely eventually, but only after we get into using her and determining if it is really necessary for our needs. Almost 100% of our charging will occur everyday as we get on the road and run down to the next place, (we're antsy sorts my friend, always on the go).

And again, we have very limited electrical use. Potentially a very small microwave or coffee maker, but used only when we find a place to plug in. Otherwise, we do right fine on the propane stove and oven and the camp coffee (actually a percolator). No furnace, very likely no AC, and if we do get an AC, again, only when we plug in, unless someday I find a magic inverter that will run those things on a maximum of two group 31s, which is huge for a small truck camper.

Even on our evening lights, we tend to turn off those bright whites and turn on a dimmed amber whenever possible.

Our biggest electric draw is my 15" Laptop (maybe someday a 17") and a new Visio 24" TV that draws 60 watts. I'll have to get a pure sine inverter, but for test purposes, the TV runs off my existing TT modified sine wave inverter (cheapo 750 watt I think, mainly used for charging device batteries) without even kicking on the fan; the laptop always kicks on its fan but I haven't tried it since that got a new battery.

Speaking of the tv, I'm posting its installation today over in "Galley & Greatroom".

Again, thanks to all for the nice opinions, and pianotuna for your concerns and all your past contributions. ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The OP wanted a 3 stage converter. The WFCO is only going to be satisfactory if almost all camping is done with shore power.

He has some options. He can replace the wfco. He can go solar.
Regards, Don

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You might actually do OK with the 35 amp WFCO. It is really the 55+ amp that is problematic. Keep the battery connection short and use #4 wire. Hopefully you have two or more batteries as that will help the boost function. You do not really need boost mode unless you are wanting a fast charge to minimize generator time. Honda 1000 should drive the 35a WFCO just fine.