cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Princeton Castle RV "Resort"…issues!

cocos_cabana
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chapter President has requested that this letter be posted on the RV.Net forum.

RE: Princeton Castle RV Resort, Princeton, BC Canada

We arrived at Princeton Castle RV Park on June 29, 2014 as a group of Good Sam campers. We reserved nine sites for six days, leaving on August 5, 2014. We chose this park because of the website pictures and the articles describing the facility. It said that there were full services and wifi at the RV park. Upon arrival, we were told that we could go to the Husky gas station to dump our sewer tanks. As our rigs were large and we had been travelling for many hours, we were finally told that we could use their tanks on site.

When the reservations were initially made, we were told that the sites were large enough for our 36ft. unit as well as our tow vehicle. However on arrival, we found that the site could not hold even a 20ft. unit. We were eventually told to just go and select our 9 sites. We all parked in a site we could fit in, and parked the tow vehicle across the driveway. On checking the power at the post, we discovered that the polarity on the post was reversed. An "electrician" was called, he tested the posts from site 10 to site 18, and found problems. He then informed us that Fortis was at fault. Later the next day, Fortis visited the site and checked all their connections, which were all in good working condition. Fortis said that the power problem was on the RV Park site and nothing was done to rectify this. We were without power for the week, a week in which the temperatures were 35C.

In the washrooms and kitchen facility, there were signs which said that water was only good for consumption after it was boiled for 1 minute and that the management were trying to rectify the problem. One of our members stayed here 7 years ago and nothing has been done since then. There were water problems then.

The whole facility is so poorly maintained- washroom floors not washed, the lodge smells musty and gardens are full of weeds. The kitchen floor, walls and windows are filthy and there are many spiders.

Our reservations had been made several months in advance, yet the gardener was just mowing the sites...with a weedeater when we arrived. The uncut sites were infested with grasshoppers. A leg of our step stool was cut off by the weedeater when the gardener was clearing the area for us to park. There is absolutely no landscaping or flower gardens, and the garden benches are covered with bird poop.

Also, at the far end of the campground, there is an old decrepit Motor home and two tents. These people are actually full time living in the park. They have three large dogs which are allowed to run loose, even though there were "dogs must be on leash at all times" signs posted.

We went to the office with our concerns, and after twice negotiating with the manager, we were able to reduce the rate from $30 to $20, since we had no power, only wifi at the office (1/2 km away), no drinking water and only sani dump. Despite this, we are deeply disappointed with the conditions at the RV park.
It should be noted that this was the Canada Day Weekend, and the park was by no means full.
We don't want to see other RVers disillusioned by the untruths on the Castle RV website.

Dave Dunn
President Chilliwack Valley SAMs
16 REPLIES 16

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
golf_bears wrote:
I believe the dates should be June 29th, 2014 to July 5th, 2014(six days right????)

And, I would of left the next morning, even if I had to boondock. Plus would have canceled 100% of the charges to my credit card.

Me, too!
That's the nice thing about RVs: They are on WHEELS, and can move out almost at a moments notice!
We once DID spend a night at a park that was very similar to what the OP found, though. It was late, we wanted power and water for the night, and it was only $20. As sad as it was, it was better than a freeway rest area.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the dates should be June 29th, 2014 to July 5th, 2014(six days right????)

And, I would of left the next morning, even if I had to boondock. Plus would have canceled 100% of the charges to my credit card.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Sounds to me like they need a custom "GOOD SAM" sign posted over their existing one.. What's the difference? Sam's smile is upside down and the word GOOD is changed to BAD.

Seriously.. I think I'd have parked somewhere else.
Actually, I don't believe it was a Good Sam Park. The park is not listed on the Good Sam website and nothing on the park's website indicates a Good Sam affiliation. Maybe the OP should consider holding their Good Sam club rallies at parks that are actually Good Sam parks. If they had done that, none of the other stuff would have happened.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me like they need a custom "GOOD SAM" sign posted over their existing one.. What's the difference? Sam's smile is upside down and the word GOOD is changed to BAD.

Seriously.. I think I'd have parked somewhere else.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually some heavy duty industrial type weedeaters use a metal line that could easily damage a plastic step stool. But you're just picking at nits. It sounds like a really lousy place and should be avoided like the plague.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Well, other then that, did you have a good time?

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
cocos cabana wrote:
Sorry…meant June 2014. The stepstool was on the ground when she came to clean the site after we parked. She also hit the jacks with the weedeater!!!
Sorry, but weedeaters use plastic string and surely your jacks are steel. Don't think that would be a huge issue. Obviously you had a rotten time, but when people start posting things like that, it starts to feel like nothing but sour grapes. It also makes the readers less likely to believe all the other information presented.

cocos_cabana
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry…meant June 2014. The stepstool was on the ground when she came to clean the site after we parked. She also hit the jacks with the weedeater!!!

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Did you post this on www.rvparkreviews.com?

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
No listing for a Princeton Castle RV Park in Princeton BC on rvparkreviews.com. The three parks in Princeton that are listed all sound pretty sparse (polite way to say crappy) at best. Why would you have chosen that place? No reviews and a member of your camping club said they stayed there and had problems in the past. For a big group with a 6 night stay, I think I would have made sure someone scouted out the place. And if that was not possible, I would have found a park with multiple reviews so as to have at least some confidence the place wasn't a dump. And how does a weed eater cut a leg off a stool? Even the best weed eater have a hard enough time cutting through normal weeds, they aren't going to slice though legs of stool like a hot knife through butter.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
double post dag nab it.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Since July 26 is 20 days away, maybe the Campground will solve the problems before they arrive. :h

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Just a couple of questions to clarify things.

1. July 29,2014 to August 05,2014? Today is July 06,2014.

He mentions Canada Day which is July 1st. I just think he was off a month. Sounds like his group wanted to be there for Canada Day festivities.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like an awful place to have a Good Sam outing, posting to
RvParkReviews.com would help many others avoid this campground.