cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Let's put it another way to try and get a definite answer.

If there's a 200 site campground and all the sites are alike - no rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. They're all the same length of site and are all in the forest - no views. Say it's off season and there are only a handful of campers there.

So the question is, why would someone in the above circumstances, park right next door to another RV?

If they did, I think the real answer is because they need the security of people. People nowdays are used to being connected to others - all the social sites, Facebook, etc. and many constantly hold their phone in their hands checking their texts and waiting for it to ring. Folks seem to need ready access to people. That's my theory.

I think it is pretty much a known fact that humans are social creatures. Funny thing is.. camping humans, on average, sway the other way. ...sometimes. Other times, they park right next to you. It really is just that simple.

So, technically, the anti-people people are the exception. ...there are just more of this exception when camping.

Look where most people work - Jammed in with other people
Look where most people live - Right next door to other people
...school...
...sports...
...movies...

So camping is a surprise?!

to explain the anti's I think you need to look at the actual act of camping. When people camp they like to think they're bonding with nature or somehow making do with less than they normally would. Of course this is after they've spent 30 minutes setting up their $40k rig and putting out all the tiki torches, entrance rugs, folding gravity chairs, awning lights, hooking up to 30amp shore power, water line, and sewer. After that though....it's all about roughing it.

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

If there's a 200 site campground and all the sites are alike - no rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. They're all the same length of site and are all in the forest - no views. Say it's off season and there are only a handful of campers there.

So the question is, why would someone in the above circumstances, park right next door to another RV?

If they did, I think the real answer is because they need the security of people. People nowdays are used to being connected to others - all the social sites, Facebook, etc. and many constantly hold their phone in their hands checking their texts and waiting for it to ring. Folks seem to need ready access to people. That's my theory.

that kinda goes against my theory though ๐Ÿ˜„ My theory is people have spent so much time on facebook, cell phones, message boards, ect ect that they've lost the ability to interact normally with other people face to face. Neighbors no longer want to even know the people they live around and they don't want to be "bothered" by those people. They're usually too busy inside sitting in front of a pc or typing on their phone to perfect strangers about their exciting day picking out produce or some other silly thing.

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

I think it is pretty much a known fact that humans are social creatures. Funny thing is.. camping humans, on average, sway the other way. ...sometimes. Other times, they park right next to you. It really is just that simple.

So, technically, the anti-people people are the exception. ...there are just more of this exception when camping.

Look where most people work - Jammed in with other people
Look where most people live - Right next door to other people
...school...
...sports...
...movies...

So camping is a surprise?!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
That may be so. Unlike the OP, I have no animosity toward those who do this but it does annoy me. I just don't understand why they would do it and was curious to know. Herding instinct perhaps or, as you say, security. Perhaps the solution is to have a really scruffy-looking rig. ๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
My speculation would be someone feels some safety or security in numbers. They park near a nice looking rig for that purpose in a nearly deserted camping area. Particularly if there are some shady looking characters in the campground.

Not commenting on right/wrong of this. But a possibility of why.

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this happen both in campgrounds and while boondocking. While I might not always be happy about it, the bottom line is, they have the same right to be there and choose their parking spot as I do! If they are loud, dog problems etc. it's easy to politely ask them to take care of the problem, and usually they do!

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:

SO, we cranked up the tunes (400 RMS watts available into 6 bodacious speakers), built a smoky fire upwind of them and cranked up the generator, which, given our solar panels, we rarely use, but boy did we use it that day ๐Ÿ™‚

Ahhh, one of THOSE who have to bring their city life (wide screen TV, big sound systems etc.) to the wilderness and then complain about others.

Look in the mirror sometime...
RVing since 1995.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's an east-coast, west coast thing?
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Suds12
Explorer
Explorer
I seldom have the luxury of 700 or so open spots.(east coast). I would think (hope) people would be happy I camped next to them. No Kids, No pets no music. Usually asleep an hour after sunset. I will say Hi but never set foot on your spot unless asked. I don't mind Kids dogs if not barking constantly or music. It's all good.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just to piss you off.

LOL! Not the best way to make friends but appropriate for this thread.

My apologies to all of you who hang on my every word (both of you)

And a Grand Canyon-sized ego to boot!

whose chains will have to be yanked by others

May you find peace in knowing yours has been yanked-very hard-as well. Some just can't see for the forest for the trees. Send me a picture of the Rockies. My heart condition forbids me to go to that altitude.

Oh, just as an FYI we get it. That doesn't mean we have to accept it. And while you're there please blast John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" as loud as you can. It's one of my favorite songs and I just want to make sure you think of me when you're gone. :B

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
:S, what a thread!
yea - Adults in diapers....
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
:S, what a thread!

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
There have been many replies indicating a belief that we are angry people. Not even close. There are VERY few things worth wasting the energy that anger engenders. Again, just saw someone the other day who was encroached upon and thought I'd throw it out there. Seems like it's stirred the pot a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚ As I also mentioned, we've only had to deal directly with the problem ONCE in 13 years because we pick our locations (and our battles) carefully. Seems like a good track record to us. Someone else asked why we bought an RV and have had the audacity to still be doing this fulltime 13 years later. Very simply, we are HAPPY and our life on the road has superseded anything else that went before. We do understand that this lifestyle isn't for everyone. We wish that others would stop embracing it! ๐Ÿ™‚

for the life of me I can't figure out why you're coming off the wrong way to some. I know you say you're happy but your comments say otherwise. Humans grouping up into communities has been going on for a long time. Perhaps people park close to others because they feel a connection to someone that shares the same interests as they do. Personally I don't care where people park. I prefer for our family to be by ourselves for family time when we can but I also understand that we share this world with many other people and some of those people like to go to campgrounds.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that the following news will be shocking and disconcerting to most of you. Please try to find a peaceful place, perhaps with some medication (I recommend tequila) to calm your angst.

We will be leaving our tranquil spot tomorrow, on our way to a summer at 9,600' in the Colorado Rockies. Alas, we will have only brief weekly internet access and these forums won't be on the menu. My apologies to all of you who hang on my every word (both of you) and to those whose chains will have to be yanked by others. To those who will NEVER get it, my condolences. Back in October. Peace.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8