cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privacy?

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8
149 REPLIES 149

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I have bagpipes but at $3500 to replace I do not lay them out to be stolen. I will play them off key and screeching at 5 am.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Walk into a mens bathroom
Go to the farthest urinal.....
Next guy in will stand next to you.

Walk into a conference room
Pick a chair on opposite side from door
Next person in will sit next to you

Go to an early afternoon matinee
Pick a seat.any seat

Majority of folks are conformists
They do NOT want to stick out
So they 'herd'

Our dog is 68# jet black and stands at the end of her leash 'watching'
Folks have a tendency to NOT park next to us.
Now if I could just get them to NOT park anywhere close by

Yep, and you could boondock in a 5 thousand acre field.
Someone will park beside you.
I often say, people go RVing to get away from it all. But, they're terrified to be alone.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Love the responses thus far. "Idiot magnet" is priceless. We have seriously considered the tuba, but think that an accordion would be as effective and lighter. As to how to handle the obtrusive neighbors, sometimes you simply have to be rude. "Thanks for stopping by" and an exit to the door works, as well as only having 2 chairs out.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

capndan77
Explorer
Explorer
Many reasons, most posted already. I simply want to say that I'm buying a TUBA! Best solution I have ever heard of. My son often camps with us and he is out looking for a drum set as we speak. Either we will eliminate close neighbors or be asked to join a band!

Canyon_Cat
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes we run into a similar but different problem. We are friendly folks and enjoy meeting others, but we also like some privacy so we can relax and talk to one another in a quite and relaxed atmosphere. What we seem to run into is neighbors who don't know when to leave! I mean it's nice for someone to come over and speak, introduce themselves, and have some nice conversation, But.... when they see you outside the camper, here they come, and stay, and stay, AND stay!!!! I have not found a nice way to say "please leave" my Wife and I would like to have some quite time TOGETHER! I have fired off the grill, started cooking, and the Wife sitting the table and they sit right there and TALK.
This has happened more than once and with different neighbors. How do you handle a situation like this and not be rude?

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Why the big mystery?
You live in a country full of paranoia.
Everybody lives behind locked doors and don't think twice about it.
There are gated communities by the thousands.

You wonder why some people don't want to park way off by themselves in the "wilderness" ???

I live in the middle of Manhattan and rarely lock my door.
UNLESS
one of my daughter-in-laws is known to be in the neighbourhood....:E

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know...why is it that I park my car way out in left field at the store or mall...wide open spaces...to avoid some inconsiderate idiot dinging my car or flying shopping carts...only to come out and someone is parked right next to me? With plenty of open spaces around?

Idiot magnet?

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Why the big mystery?
You live in a country full of paranoia.
Everybody lives behind locked doors and don't think twice about it.
There are gated communities by the thousands.

You wonder why some people don't want to park way off by themselves in the "wilderness" ???

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walk into a mens bathroom
Go to the farthest urinal.....
Next guy in will stand next to you.

Walk into a conference room
Pick a chair on opposite side from door

Go to an early afternoon matinee
Pick a seat.any seat

Majority of folks are conformists
They do NOT want to stick out
So they 'herd'

Our dog is 68# jet black and stands at the end of her leash 'watching'
Folks have a tendency to NOT park next to us.
Now if I could just get them to NOT park anywhere close by
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a lot of people who grew up in the city there is a longing for the wide open spaces, but when they get to a wide open space they have an unexplained irrational fear of being "alone". They will often camp next to someone, even a stranger, because it helps them feel safer.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I stay at KOAs almost exclusively. Most hosts ask me if I prefer one of the available sites on their map. If they pick a spot for me, its generally away from the pool and the kid's play area and away from the dog walking area, since I'm single and dogless. They save those for people with kids and/or pets. I personally don't care, as I'm gone all day seeing the sights and asleep at night. Works for me.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Have had this happen many times. I just think some folks are afraid to be alone and feel safer if someone is nearby. For a park to have 850 sites and they plop down right next to you - don't understand it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they are following you.
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly the spot they opted for had the view they desired?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
They like people and possibly they are friends. They are not sociopaths and want human contact.

noplace2 wrote:
We are fulltimers beginning our 14th year this month. We move around frequently rather than claiming FT status because we sit in one spot in an RV

We have repeatedly noticed the following phenomena:

We are currently in an 850 site park in southern CA in the mountains. It is one of our favorite places ever, not least of because at this time of year, it's very lightly used. The views and the wildlife are magnificent. At this writing, only about 80 of those sites are occupied. Which brings me to my query.

We deliberately park as far away from others as we can in public venues. We're friendly but not social.

Last night a rig came in and parked about 1,000' from us. No barking dog. All is well. Today another rig came in and parked next to them. I had to ask, only in passing. They did not know those people and were unhappy as to the encroachment. Again, in the section that they selected, there were at least 50 available sites.

Can someone explain to me why someone would do that?