cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prodigy P2 Error

oldone40
Explorer
Explorer
We are camping with our F250 with prodigy p2 brake controller towing a 1995 Excel Knoble Esquire. We had no issues coming to the rv park but now we are getting a SH error on the brake controller when camper is not hooked up. We moved the camper yesterday and that's when this started. We noticed today that the break-away device was dis-engaged. Can anyone give me advice on getting this error cleared? Is this an error with the brake controller, truck or camper? Husband and son are checking all connections on both this morning and I'd like to give them further information.

Thanks for any and all help as we are scheduled to leave Monday morning to drive from Texas to Kansas.

R. Davis
2000 F250
1995 Knoble Esquire 5th wheel
14 REPLIES 14

oldone40
Explorer
Explorer
we had the P2 checked and something happened; not sure what fried it; went with the P3 and it's great; love this brand and won't use anything else

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Same here. 11 years and not a lick of trouble with my P2.

I also have a voyager and I like the prodigy better because it brakes the trailer with the truck. The voyager is either "throwing out the anchor" or not doing enough.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
oldone40 wrote:
oh yes; we unplugged the P2 and plugged it back in; tried a new wiring harness; just sucked it up and bought a new one

OK

Mine went on the fritz once because the trailer plug came undone and set a code. I called Tekonsha, they were very nice and said to unplug the controller for a bit then reconnect and all was well. Sorta, it was still a POS!

Interesting... I have an original Prodigy and its been flawless... Perfect performance.. set it and forget it. I have not touched it since I got it set. I run it on boost 2 all the time as I like the trailer brakes to lead the TV.

I handled all the wiring on this thing so I was able to ensure that I had the proper gauge wiring from the brake controller back to the 7 way plug...I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.

If I had to replace it I would go with a P3 since it has more diagnostics and is pretty close in price to the P2.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldone40 wrote:
oh yes; we unplugged the P2 and plugged it back in; tried a new wiring harness; just sucked it up and bought a new one

OK

Mine went on the fritz once because the trailer plug came undone and set a code. I called Tekonsha, they were very nice and said to unplug the controller for a bit then reconnect and all was well. Sorta, it was still a POS!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

oldone40
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldone40 wrote:
We solved our issue. The Prodigy P2 brake controller obviously shorted out someway. We went to the Camping World store in Denton this morning and tried a different wiring harness with the old controller and same issue. Bought a new P3 and wiring harness and the issue has been resolved. We will be able to travel safely tomorrow to go home.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

IMHO the P-2 is a POS. Let us know your thoughts on the P-3.

Did you try unplugging the P-2 then plugging it back in?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

oldone40
Explorer
Explorer
We solved our issue. The Prodigy P2 brake controller obviously shorted out someway. We went to the Camping World store in Denton this morning and tried a different wiring harness with the old controller and same issue. Bought a new P3 and wiring harness and the issue has been resolved. We will be able to travel safely tomorrow to go home.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
One other possibility - there should be a fuse between your battery and the DC distribution panel inside your trailer (in my case it is on the main lead fastened to the A-frame between the battery and where the cable goes in to the trailer). Make sure this fuse/fuse block is dry and free of corrosion.

Good luck. Electrical issues can be frustrating.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unplug the controller for a few minutes that should do it.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
clean the truck/trailer plug contacts with electrical contact cleaner - might have some junk in there ... but if it was working before you unplugged, then that's pretty unlikely.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
oldone40 wrote:
"We noticed today that the break-away device was dis-engaged."
If your trailer was connected to the TV when the emergency pin was pulled you fed 12 volts back to the Prodigy. You may well have fried it I'm afraid.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

oldone40
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting the SH code on the brake controller when the camper isn't hooked up. Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the prodigy?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
SH is the code for "short" somewhere in the system.

"We noticed today that the break-away device was dis-engaged."

Depending on how long the break-away was pulled, you many have burned out or damaged the magnets in your brakes... or completely run down your battery....probably want to get it checked out....:(
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro