cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Insurance

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
This post is about my claim experience with Progressive. I damaged two of my basement doors on my motorhome, nothing structural, a cosmetic repair, should be a turn and burn repair; yeah right. As it turns out these doors are aluminum and aluminum is near impossible to repair; who knew, I thought they were sheet metal... When I called to make the claim, an adjuster called back and said they were too busy to schedule an appointment. Seriously? I live in San Diego, they cannot cover Southern California to get an adjuster out in a day or two... Ten days and they finally sent someone out, nice enough guy, but he knowingly shorted the estimate by over 25%, underestimating the cost of the doors by nearly 65%. Even after he explained why the doors had to be replaced he estimated replacement of 400 per door, knowing Fleetwood charged 1100 per door, how do I know he knew; he told me himself what they cost for various manufacturers, why didnt he call FW himself and get an exact price?

There are three shops in San Diego equipped to handle rv body repairs; of the two I called they both were reluctant to work on a claim from Progressive. The shops told me Progressive is known for intentionally shorting estimates and they dont want to waste their time going back and forth with Progressive for more money trying to get ahold of their adjusters. Progressive does not have enough adjusters for my area, it took me three days to get a call back from my adjuster just for him to tell me there is nothing he can do. So in my case the shop tried to patch the doors without discussing it with me, the adjuster was correct they cannot be repaired, the patch is easily spotted. Progressive's position; you picked the shop we cant do anything; but it was their intentionally low balling the estimate by 25% that created this problem. My motorhome has now sat for six weeks and Progressive is laughing all the way to the bank. Brilliant business strategy. THANKS FLO!

(Have fun all you Progressive cyber-shrills)
~surfride
39 REPLIES 39

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
Thanks for the info. I won't use them but also because of the political views of the owner /person running the company. Why do you think they call it Progressive?

X2!

X3

Try Mercury Insurance we have had them for 8 years no problems. Had 2 claims. One for the awning and one for structural body damage.
Both claims paid no questions asked.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
Thanks for the info. I won't use them but also because of the political views of the owner /person running the company. Why do you think they call it Progressive?

Today's world economy is too complex to even attempt to base purchases on the socio-political opinions of suppliers of goods or services. Shouldn't buy goods from red China. (The goal of communist countries is to defeat democracies). Shouldn't buy Arab oil. (Muslims hate infadels). Somebody likes gays, someone else hates them. Someone dislikes birth control, someone else favors it. Someone favors legalizing pot, someone else uses it legal or not. I'm purchasing a good or service from the source that does the best job of providing it, not from the source that votes as I do.

Water bug
I'm afraid I disagree with your position. In the case of Progressive I choose not to consider them in my insurance buying needs. Based strictly on their major support of far left issues. There are many more options available.
I buy American made and my fuel from Sinclair (North American Crude)My trucks are from American companies. ( yes I realize much is made over seas ) My trucks were assembled in Kansas city and Michigan truck.
Just my opinion.

Must be tough finding an airplane to fly on.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

LEE3714
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is at the factory right now. Will be interested to see what Progressive and USAA come up with. Lost a wheel on the Ohio turnpike a couple weeks ago, significant damage.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have Foremost for my TT.
Cost was about $325 a year.
Switched to Progressive, doubled my personal effects coverage, and my premium dropped $100.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
Campinfan wrote:

Today's world economy is too complex to even attempt to base purchases on the socio-political opinions of suppliers of goods or services. Shouldn't buy goods from red China. (The goal of communist countries is to defeat democracies). Shouldn't buy Arab oil. (Muslims hate infadels). Somebody likes gays, someone else hates them. Someone dislikes birth control, someone else favors it. Someone favors legalizing pot, someone else uses it legal or not. I'm purchasing a good or service from the source that does the best job of providing it, not from the source that votes as I do.

Water bug
I'm afraid I disagree with your position. In the case of Progressive I choose not to consider them in my insurance buying needs. Based strictly on their major support of far left issues. There are many more options available.
I buy American made and my fuel from Sinclair (North American Crude)My trucks are from American companies. ( yes I realize much is made over seas ) My trucks were assembled in Kansas city and Michigan truck.
Just my opinion.

Peter Lewis, the now deceased astute businessman that built Progressive Insurance to become the third largest auto insurer in the US, did not have any day-to-day involvement in the company after giving up his executive position in 2000. His personal political/social support does not reflect the views of the company as a whole. Progressive as a company, donates millions to a variety of local and national charities. Or was it Mr. Lewis' multi-million dollar support of various museums and universities that you find objectionable?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Campinfan wrote:

Water bug
Just my opinion.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have Progressive and the one claim I made I took it directly to the shop for the estimate before I called the insurance company.
The shop gave me the estimate, then I called Progressive, their adjuster came out and his estimate was higher than what the shop's was.

Very happy with Progressive.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Progressive insurance since we've owned our MH, ten years. Only had ONE claim when I accidentally bumped the left rear corner on one of those posts at the end of a gas pump island. This happened in Oregon and I called Progressive and reported it immediately. They told me I could wait for an agent to come out or I could call them when I got home to Kentucky. Obviously I couldn't sit around and wait so I called them when I got home several days later. Agent came out the next day, did a thorough examination, even crawling under the MH, and wrote it up. He even suggested a repair location (which they are NOT supposed to do). I took it to a local RV repair center who made the repairs and charged $795. I turned it over to Progressive who sent me a check for $825 and no questions asked. I'm was very pleased and my rates have not gone up.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two claims with them on my car. Once after hitting a deer and once when I was backed into. No issues both times. Biggest issue I had was with the quality of work (I chose the body shop the dealership owned after being backed into...big mistake). My car had to go back twice and they managed to add damage once.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
In over 12 years with Progressive, we have had 2 claims, One for an awning ripped off on the road and the other absolutely my fault for denting a bumper attempting to pull in too tight in a parking lot. Although I had pictures of the damage to their vehicle and 2 independent shops quoted less than $1K in repair costs (still excessive in my opinion) Progressive paid off to the tune of $2900. They did not raise my already fair rates) 'Nuff said.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Yet another highly educated american voter.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Water-Bug wrote:
Campinfan wrote:

When it is known that a man hates the USA why give him your money.

Not from my wallet.
chevman

Oh boy, you may have opened up a big ole can of worms with that quote.

I will leave it at that so the thread does not get political.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
The Chinese and Arabs hate the USA and we give them tons of $$$$$$.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Campinfan wrote:

When it is known that a man hates the USA why give him your money.

Not from my wallet.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110