cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Project Rambler - #1

RamblinMurph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, my name is Murphy and I recently purchased my very first RV. After months of searching, I found this '96 model 37' Imperial Custom Holiday Rambler. There are numerous issues with this unit which I intend to address as money and time allow. The exterior was dirty and oxidized, but looks much better after a good scrubbing with soap and water.

The first thing I want to do is put whatever good protectant/wax on the exterior that will best preserve the finish. I will post various pictures of exterior issues that I would like to work on. Any and all advice/suggestions are welcome!
8 REPLIES 8

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
RamblinMurph wrote:
A closeup of the door. Many fine lines that are quite noticeable.

That door looks good to me. Age often brings "character" to many things.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

RamblinMurph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! Very good read on the red max #3. I'm gonna need to get the paint off that molding and repaint/cover with something while the caulk is off. Suggestions on what to put on the molding (paint?) and how to get the last bit of caulk off the decals/fiberglass before application of the clear?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you consider Red Max Pro/Zep and Bar Keepers Friend?
I used it on our 96 Southwind. It did a great job.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
The strands of fiberglass often show through on RV doors so I guess it's normal. Use cleaner wax, changing cloths frequently. Try a plastic putty knife to get the caulking off. Good luck. It'll look good when you're done!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
Not an expert, but I'd think that a buffing wheel would probably take that off. I don't think I'd use anything that had any grit, no matter how fine....though I guess some rubbing compound would probably work too, but try it in an area that isn't as noticeable.:)

Spit and a thumb work for the small stuff, like that doorbell?, but you'll want something more substantial for the larger stuff.
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

RamblinMurph
Explorer
Explorer
As can be seen in last pic on both top and bottom of molding, and in this pic of the old chime, the caulk is discolored and not in the best shape. What is the best method of removing old caulk from around the exterior without damaging anything?

RamblinMurph
Explorer
Explorer
Is this normal? Any way to make it less noticeable?

The next issue are the extremely old stickers. I've tried using adhesive remover, and they don't even start to let go.

RamblinMurph
Explorer
Explorer
A closeup of the door. Many fine lines that are quite noticeable.