cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane alarm

oldcoach
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Class C Jayco Redhawk. We have had no issues with it until this summer. When not in use we keep it in a fully enclosed shed.

No issues until this summer when from time to time we go out to the shed and the LP alarm is beeping. We shut it off and open the garage doors. It stays off with ventilation. The propane is shut off so its not a leak.

Someone told me that new motor homes give off fumes for a while from the "new" smell. That make sense but why did it take 18 months to start.

It has never alarmed when we have it out camping.

Any ideas or suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you don't have a sealed battery, have you checked the water level in the battery ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you "DISCONNECT" the battery? (Use/Store switch is a disconnect) that can cause it to loose charge as some loads may be connected Pre-Disconnect (Some are on mine, but they are after market far as I know, not sure of .. yes I am propane detector is post-cut off, but some it's pre)

How dead are they? And are they GC-2 (Six volt) or group xx (12 volt) IF six volt connect them verify converter operation (lights work) and see what happens.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

oldcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great info. I just checked the house battery and it is dead. I keep the RV plugged in when not in use. I thought that would keep the battery charged.

I guess I am buying a battery before our next outing.

Thanks for the input.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have several alarm states, Most are a chirp. long delay, Chirp

ALARM (GAS) Is much more annoying.

ONE of the alarm states is "Old Age"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Propane monitor alarms do go bad. It is not uncommon, and replacements are not very expensive, replacement is plug-and-play. Low voltage, mentioned above, will also give you an alarm fault. However, please consider that you may have a propane leak or a burner valve is open. At very least, turn off the propane at the tank, ventilate the coach, and see if the alarm continues.

From the original post:
"The propane is shut off so its not a leak..."
No further comment necessary.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
why did it take 18 months to start
That's about how long it took for your house battery to lose capacity. It may be doing that if you leave the battery connected when in storage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Propane monitor alarms do go bad. It is not uncommon, and replacements are not very expensive, replacement is plug-and-play. Low voltage, mentioned above, will also give you an alarm fault. However, please consider that you may have a propane leak or a burner valve is open. At very least, turn off the propane at the tank, ventilate the coach, and see if the alarm continues.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just "chirping" instead of going off like a shrill siren, that would be an indication of low voltage.
(Is your battery charged/charging properly?)

If it's actually alerting (shrill siren sound) and airing it out quiets it, that would indicate you have a leak somewhere. You can use a battery operated/free standing detector to get a "second opinion".

If your original detector still goes off and the second one doesn't, you might want to call the alarm's manufacturer to see if there's a recall or if your unit can be replaced under warranty.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you keeping house battery charged.....Low DC Voltage will cause LP Detector to beep.
Dirty sensor will cause them to beep
Out gassing from materials can cause it to beep

Did you have any Indicating lights also
Green, Yellow, Red?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31