cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pump vs disconnect

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 2013 Toyota Tacoma double cab,auto trans..am trying to decide best way to tow,,trans pump or driveline disconnect..any input is appreciated..
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
27 REPLIES 27

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
Gypsy1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gypsy1 wrote:
WOW, After reading all the complaints about Remco Driveshaft disconnects, I wonder if any of them actually own one!

I owned one and it sucked. mine was installed by a drive shaft balancer/expert installer.
bumpy

If you are having trouble with yours, contact Remco Drive Shaft; 855-447-3626 They stand behind there products.

They stand behind them alright as long as you have a credit card. $20. for two plastic shifting pad, $40 for a shift cable and $64 over night air, $53. plus $16 shipping for a small yoke bearing. Mine was bought in 09 and has been nothing but problems after the first year. Sorry, but with all the problems I have had with mine and Remco NEVER standing behind it, I could never recommend one with a clear conscious.
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gypsy1 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gypsy1 wrote:
WOW, After reading all the complaints about Remco Driveshaft disconnects, I wonder if any of them actually own one!

I owned one and it sucked. mine was installed by a drive shaft balancer/expert installer.
bumpy

As a clarification, the original designer and manufacturer Remco, sold the business to a outfit who had some or all of the components made offshore. They ran into major problems and the disconnect part of the business was bought back and redesigned and improved. I am not possitive when all this occured, how ever I bought my last one in Jan 2013 and it is very satisfactory in all regards. The one I bought before that was one made by Remco befor the split, it also provided long lasting trouble free service.

If you are having trouble with yours, contact Remco Drive Shaft; 855-447-3626 They stand behind there products.

I bought mine in 93-94 so whoever made it then.
bumpy

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gypsy1 wrote:

bumpy

As a clarification, the original designer and manufacturer Remco, sold the business to a outfit who had some or all of the components made offshore. They ran into major problems and the disconnect part of the business was bought back and redesigned and improved. I am not possitive when all this occured, how ever I bought my last one in Jan 2013 and it is very satisfactory in all regards. The one I bought before that was one made by Remco befor the split, it also provided long lasting trouble free service.

Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
I own one and it's JUNK, you want it?
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gypsy1 wrote:

bumpy

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, After reading all the complaints about Remco Driveshaft disconnects, I wonder if any of them actually own one! I operate a Nisson Xterra 2012 4X4, Auto, with a Remco disconnect, Roadmaster base plate, and Falcon2 towbar. This is the third Remco I have owned covering a period of twenty years of pulling toads. I noticed that most of the negative comments obviously were either improperly installed disconnects and/or the owner did not follow Remcos instruction as to how to engage or disengage unit.

The problems most people have with disconnects relates to DIY and/or incompetant installers. The installer must have a suitable high speed lathe capable of welding and/or balancing the modified driveshaft. To modify a drive shaft without balancing is a sure way to have problems. In addition most late model vehicles require shortning and welding of the shaft, which requires special equipment and traing. In most cases this is not simply a bolt on install as indicated by RV dealers. Most installers such as Camper's World and the typical RV dealer do not have lathes in their shops.

Solution: Insure the install is done by a experianced driveshaft machine shop that has performed this modification previously and has been trained by Remco or others.

Solution 2: Proper engagement of a correctly installed and maintained unit is smooth and precise, if done as directed by starting in neutral and engageing the disconnect similtaniously. If grease or other wet lubricants are not used in accordance with recommendations by Remco, the accumulation of dirt and grime on the disconnect is minimal and only requires cleaning with high pressure water spray and WD-40 annually or more often if excessive mud has accumulated. My experiance is that I clean the unit with a hose when cleaning car at car wash, semi-annually apply WD-40. Recently i switched to a dry lubricant spray formulated for RV slides sold by Campers world. This product works better than WD-40 because it is a dry lubricant, a rust preventative, and does not attract dust, dirt and grime.

During operation a properly installed and balanced driveshaft disconnect does not make any noise or vibration what-so-ever. The only indication of it's presence is the control knob on the floor under the seat. These units have been used by myself and others for decades of trouble free four down towing.

I am a high mileage RV'er towing my toad more than 20K a year. For me the Remco disconnect has enabled me to tow the vehicle I prefer without other consideration. I have had nothing but excellant performance from this product and would recommend this product to anyone.

I am not employed by or have no interest in Remco or and similar products, retailers, or installers.
Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the backup, BUMPY. Wife and I KNEW a motorhome was in our future quite a few months before we bought one. (I mean, is the purchase of a motorhome an "impulse buy"?) At the same time, we asked the question "tow or rent?" We decided on "tow". Our car, at that time was old and not on any list to "toad", so we went out for a "toad" 4-down vehicle. Used or new...didn't matter. So, in 2000, we ended up with a 1996 Ford Contour 5 spd stick. That was our first "toad" and was just fine. In the years since, after RESEARCHING a vehicle that would double as a dailey driver AND "toad", the Contour is gone and we now tow a 2007 Chevy HHR automatic...and a 2011 Ford Ranger auto,4WD.
The HHR...pull a fuse and off y'go. The Ranger, a bit more involved, but "toads" just fine. So far, both have gone coast to coast and back no problems.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
willald wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
I don't know why people simply don't research to find a vehicle that can be "toad" 4-down with little or no modification. It's not hard.

...Because most people aren't perfect, and don't live in an absolutely 'perfect world' like some seem to think should be the case. ๐Ÿ™‚

When many folks get a MH, they have to make do with existing vehicles they already own as a toad. Vehicles that were bought before they may have ever known they'd need to tow it. Not everyone can go out and buy a new flat-towable car right after plunking down all the $$ these MHs cost.

Then, factor in that its such a small percentage of vehicles that can be flat towed now, and frequently it requires things that many people want nothing to do with (manual transmission, for example)....Yes, its very easy to see/understand why many folks are in the spot of having to find a way, at least temporarily, to make a vehicle work as a toad that isn't designed for flat towing from the factory.

Will

I agree concerning folks that already have what they HAVE to use as a toad, but there are lots of post from folks here that are looking to buy one and consider either a drive shaft disconnect or a pump. doing so is extremely foolish IMHO.
bumpy

I pretty much agree with both answers here. And, there ARE NUMEREROUS vehicles that can be flat towed, not only new but, in the used market too. There are choices in small, large, stick, automatic, 4x4, 4x2, forgein, domestic, and more. It doesn't mean someone's "Perfect" just because they knew in advance of purchasing a motorhome, that a they might be towing the car/truck/4x4 that they were shopping for.

Some people plan ahead and some don't. But, I certainly agree wholeheartedly that, if you're presently looking for a daily driver and, and you know FORE SURE that it will DEFINITELY be a toad, either now or in the not too distant future, then it would behoove you to persue any one of many available, flat towable units out there.

If you purchase one that you know is not flat towable, and you modify it, or have it modified, and those modifications go south for any number of reasons, whether the vehicle is or is not under any form of factory or aftermarket warranty, then it gets real complicated. And, all of it could have been remedied by purchasing one that is flat towable in the first place. Now, it's not my job in life to judge people. You all have the right and the ability to make your own judgments on what kind of vehicle you choose.

Every vehicle we've towed has been flat towable. We will NEVER have a dolly, a driveshaft disconnect, or trailer for the toad. To us, those are all additional complications when traveling. To others, they apparently are not. You choose and purchase whatever makes you happy.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
I don't know why people simply don't research to find a vehicle that can be "toad" 4-down with little or no modification. It's not hard.

...Because most people aren't perfect, and don't live in an absolutely 'perfect world' like some seem to think should be the case. ๐Ÿ™‚

When many folks get a MH, they have to make do with existing vehicles they already own as a toad. Vehicles that were bought before they may have ever known they'd need to tow it. Not everyone can go out and buy a new flat-towable car right after plunking down all the $$ these MHs cost.

Then, factor in that its such a small percentage of vehicles that can be flat towed now, and frequently it requires things that many people want nothing to do with (manual transmission, for example)....Yes, its very easy to see/understand why many folks are in the spot of having to find a way, at least temporarily, to make a vehicle work as a toad that isn't designed for flat towing from the factory.

Will

I agree concerning folks that already have what they HAVE to use as a toad, but there are lots of post from folks here that are looking to buy one and consider either a drive shaft disconnect or a pump. doing so is extremely foolish IMHO.
bumpy

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:

because that would be too simple?
of course when they ask for recommendations here they never initially state whether they want a stick shift or automatic, FWD, 4WD, AWD, etc.
bumpy :s

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Tacoma from 2005 to 2009 with a disconnect. Had it installed at the factory in Omaha. Towed about 50,000 miles and it worked fine. That business of cleaning and siliconing every time is just nonsense. Maybe twice a year I would clean it and lube. Once I took it back to have it adjusted. They showed me how to adjust and once more it had to be adjusted. Once you do it a few times it almost falls into place. I think the problems reported here are from bad installation. What happened to the Remco factory? I know it was sold but where are they located now?

Moisheh

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear you're well and still into RVing! I've been a holdout for "factory towable" and dissed for it a few times. "You can do this/that, or I tow it anyway" but if there's (a) Warranty or (b) Auto Trans involved I just don't want the problems or even the worry.
It was a little easier for us than many, because we wanted a manual transmission anyway when we shopped for a pickup in 2009.
When you get the new rig, please be sure to post a picture!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB