cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racing in the water

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Got to camp in the pits at an event available only in the Pacific Northwest, or Australia and New Zealand. Called sprint-boat racing in the US, it's so heavily attended out here on the coast that the event looked more like an RV city ... there must have been 300 RV's by the end of the races. If interested, check out my story and pictures here.

The RV lifestyle is unbeatable!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual
25 REPLIES 25

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are jet boat races on the Grand River in Grand Rapids MI in the summer. We could hear the boats from our old house. It was a big event there too. I would suspect they may also have them along the Lake Michigan shoreline in some of the cities.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot85

Are you going to be there on June 15th this year. We are coming with friends to St John on the 14th and 15th?

Ron
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot85

It looked like a great weekend. We will be there in St. John next year. We loved Port Angeles, but the situation in St John seems like a better camping situation, and a bit more intimate and connected to the racing. Thanks for your report.

We have friends that want to go to Port Angeles for the finals on 08 Sept... of course they want us to take the MH as the mothership... we'll see?
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

JayWalker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I can get why they love it. I used to own two Sea Doo's and did a lot of 'non official" racing at the lake, and it is so exhilerating and addictive. I couldn't even imagine dong what these folks were doing though. On the water mph "feels" so much faster than on land.

That looks like a very fun event and a darn good excuse to RV! lol

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Got to meet Cara and Dan (Wicked Racing) ... great fun. Not only does she race and teach, but she's creating a curriculum for 2nd graders at a Mexico mission.

Well, it was RV heaven again! Warm days with a cool breeze, great "racing in the water", thousands of attendees ... and exciting close races - and of course, amazing crashes. I've posted pics and narrative at Blazingwest.com, Webb's Slough Two." If you're interested, give it a look. For RV'ers, this has GOT to be on your bucket list!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I love that part of the world. I graduated with Jim White, who chose to be a wheat farmer in St. John rather than ...

Living in the St. John area is certainly a different pace of life ... with a tranquil beauty not easily found in the cities of the world. Next week with the 100's of RV's descending to the countryside, it'll make for yet a different atmosphere!

We get to work in the pit area, which is yet another side of the 'event'. We'll have pictures and a story on blazingwest.com after next weekend ...
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan

When I first met Cara, I asked her what she did when she wasn't teaching... and she said that I "race" boats. Well I told her that I also "race" boats, although it's something quite different. I race sailboats, and did the Sydney/Hobart in '96 and we did quite well as part of the only US crew in the race that year... it was an amazing experience. We were announced as rock stars on the Qantas flight, and throughout Sydney and Tasmania. A lovely (and challenging) experience.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We had her friend Corey over for dinner last night, who introduced us, and Cara might be moving to Anacortes. She has a great racing family. Wish we could be there.

My mother was born in Oakesdale, and my grandmother taught in a one-room school house in Garfield, and I went to WSU. I love that part of the world. I graduated with Jim White, who chose to be a wheat farmer in St. John rather than an architect, and a physician, Rudy Gailer? from St John recently retired to Anacortes.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Have fun, we talked about coming to St. John but can't make it this year. Say "hi" to Cara from Ron if you see her.

We might be towing her racer ... Wicked Racing often tows their own into the water. I'll tell her "hi" from ya'all!

There's not much in the way of accomodations in St. Johns ... it's a real RV haven ... or RV heaven! I'll get more pics at this event for everyone.
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
not quite the same, but I have been in Augusta Ga for the drag boat races. since river (and races) are right in the middle of town, you don't see the rv's there like you show at these events.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun, we talked about coming to St. John but can't make it this year. Say "hi" to Cara from Ron if you see her.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Upcoming racing back in St. John's Washington on Aug 25th ... should be a lot of fun ... and a LOT of RV's! We'll be there as part of the pit crew - look for the 85 Bigfoot!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Robert Ryan: One of the Canadian drivers, Cory Johnson, raced in Australia last year, but he said that they gave him a lousy boat, and he broke it. He won this year's event in PA, and is hoping that drivers from OZ and NZ will come to race here.

This type of racing is common in country Australia. I think you may see some Australian and NZ drivers wander across to the US.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent the weekend in Port Angeles at the Extreme Sports Park watching Sprint Boat Racing. Our friend Cara, whose family owns the race course, and was last year's national champion, arranged for us to park the RV in the VIP pit area. I was amazed with access to the pits, drivers, and crews. Great people in the beginning of an up and coming sport. The Speed channel will begin broadcasting some of the races next year. The crowd was estimated at 10,000, with live bands, and fireworks. A very interesting weekend... a real Redneck Woodstock.

12' long boats, 900+ hp, 0-100 mph in ~3 seconds, and ~7G cornering forces... not for the faint of heart.

Robert Ryan: One of the Canadian drivers, Cory Johnson, raced in Australia last year, but he said that they gave him a lousy boat, and he broke it. He won this year's event in PA, and is hoping that drivers from OZ and NZ will come to race here.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L