cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rear Cargo Tray bag

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of putting a cargo tray on the hitch behind my Class C. Like this. . I'm looking at a cargo bag like this.

My concern is security. Anyone have experience here?

Thanks!
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
6 REPLIES 6

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I use large, inexpensive but rugged duffle-type bags from Campmor (www.campmor.com) to hold stuff on my rear cargo rack. Think they may call them "soft trunks". It gets stuff like the outside rug, firewood, swim noodles, etc. Nothing $$$. Held to rack with 2 straps. Gets pretty beat up, between road grime and UV from the sun. Likely not a big attention-getter, anyway. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
How about stackable Rubbermaid totes? Different sizes for different things then nest them together when you don't need them. You could throw a cargo net over them to hold them down.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i have one on the front of my ram.if its just wood and things that are weather resistant,i'd go with a cargo net.i paid 22 bucks for mine.(the net,not the carrier).
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
I knew just after I pressed "send" that this was an unanswerable question. My intention would be to use the rack and bag to store chairs and other furniture, laundry, maybe wood. Things which would not be all that valuable, and which I could replace at not-very-much cost if someone boosted them. Bulk, more than weight. So far, I've tended not to leave the rig unoccupied much, so if that pattern holds my presence would be a deterrent to folks that go bump in the night. I hope.

Thanks, folks!

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Entirely depends where you are parked......there are thieves about everywhere. RVers often times have their generators stolen from those carriers so they lock them on.

Do not put anything there unsecured if you do not want it stolen. RVers at Quartzite, AZ often loose their generators, etc..

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell you that you will have no problems ever with security. What are you planning on putting back there? I personally don't put anything back there that is expensive. I know some will put their generators back there. My guess is they put them somewhere when they leave.

Just as an option, if you carry bikes at all - I have this rack - http://www.kotulas.com/deals/garage-and-auto/scooters-and-bikes/2in1-cargo-carrier-with-4bike-rack-5...
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke