Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

refrig fan

dessa1930
Explorer
Explorer
couple questions on installing a fan inside my refrig

do they really help with the cooling and does it need to he next to the coils or on bottom blowing up
12 REPLIES 12

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
dessa1930 wrote:
couple questions on installing a fan inside my refrig

do they really help with the cooling and does it need to he next to the coils or on bottom blowing up
I put mine on the bottom shelf. I also bought 4 blue ice packs from walmart - I freeze all 4, then put two on the bottom shelf and two in the freezer. When the ones in the fridge thaw, I rotate them with the ones in the freezer.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine works fine, the fan makes it work better/more efficiently.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Do older refers not chill very well?

I have no issues with mine keeping food cold and not freezing them in the fridge side.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Cold air falls. If you want the fan to blow upward it should be located near the door/front.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I concur as well. Like Bob213 I bought that style of fan on EBay and it has been working well for many years. Moving the air is a very helpful thing to do as it helps even out the temps.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
The fan blowing on the coils will also greatly reduce any frost or ice buildup on the coils. If you're in a humid area you know what I'm talking 'bout.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My internal fan addition is on the cooling coils at the top. It makes a big difference to cool down time. Highly recommended.

I did try a battery operated fan first. It did not meet my needs.

I also have fans in the "chimney". They are thermostatically controlled, and run independent of the fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMO anything that helps move the air around is good. Some work better than others, but anything is better than nothing. I also use one of the little battery powered fans. A blue one.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wired it into the fridge light power source (hot side)

Zip tied it to the first full shelf from the top. My ice cream was frozen solid in the freezer, and I froze eggs on the little top shelf.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
My battery operated fridge fan works great. Using them since 1979.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with bgum.
I have always used a fan similar to this (mounted on the fins) when they were cheap on ebay.
fan
Last year I added a dc blower fan at the bottom of the fridge pointing up and saw a big improvement.
Nothing will fix an improperly installed and baffled refrigerator but the fans will help.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
1. Yes
2. Bottom