cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remember to keep alert while driving..

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is from my dash cam on our first camping trip of 2022. We are on I90 going East not too far from Vantage, WA.

loose pallets

I was very lucky in that the pallets were FLAT ones and hit the road just before I slowed down and split second decision to keep going straight. (I was also towing my #7000 TT and there were some 20-25 mph side winds going on).

Note the car that passes me on my left.. I could not move over and somehow I knew that he was there...

Another lucky incident while on the road for sure.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good job!

There is a tube video of a guy towing a MobileSuites with his Kenworth. A tire and wheel came across the median from his left. He said I headed for the shoulder so the tire wouldn't damage his radiator and was hoping it would hit around his rear tire. Well the shoulder was a big dip then up on the right. Truck looked fine but the MobileSuites was totaled!

Those guys always are bragging about how good the trucks brake. IMHO looking at the video he should have slammed on the brakes. Hind site is great but evading something can be worse than hitting it many times.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man thatโ€™s scary. Thankful there were no injuries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your decision to just drive through was a good one. Tires are easier to fix than you or your truck.

You mention you โ€œjust knewโ€ the car was there. A good driver with experience in interstate traffic is aware of whatโ€™s going on all around them and doesnโ€™t have to check mirrors much before making a decision. I drove through the heart of a major city which includes an intersection of three interstates at least twice a day during rush hour while I was in college. You learn to feel the traffic and also to recognize other drivers who are out of their element.

Actually plenty of straps, they just should have had even stacks so the stacks were more stable and the angles were better. Looks like the strap came unanchored on the left front. Hauling light stuff worries me as much or more than heavy stuff.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The fact you were not driving at a high rate of speed was a factor as well as your instincts. I've seen way too many motorhomes and towables blow past me on highways traveling much faster than they should.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
This is from my dash cam on our first camping trip of 2022. We are on I90 going East not too far from Vantage, WA.

loose pallets

I was very lucky in that the pallets were FLAT ones and hit the road just before I slowed down and split second decision to keep going straight. (I was also towing my #7000 TT and there were some 20-25 mph side winds going on).

Note the car that passes me on my left.. I could not move over and somehow I knew that he was there...

Another lucky incident while on the road for sure.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

Yikes! my heart raced just watching that. Good to read your okay. I Think your do for some uneventful travels. :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been a couple of years, but here was another close call I had...

This time I did swerve to miss it, 'cause that would have hurt if I hit that!

Missing a metal shelf in the road

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Wow Mitch, that was a close call!
Any closer and it could have been through your windshield.
Good driving, always better to not swerve while towing.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Well done, lucky you didn't get a tire or three full of nails.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good job Mitch! If you had over reacted, or tried to merge left, could have been a bad first trip.

Have a great holiday camping weekend!

Jerry