Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Depression

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I need advise on my 2011 Keystone Passport. Over the weekend when I was up on the roof I noticed a depression in the roof. It is the size of a football and goes down a quarter of an inch. I don't think there is a leak there. It is surrounded by was feels like good wood. It is not around anything like a sky light. What should I do? I do have an extended warranty that does not seem to pay for anything. I have a picture but do not remember how to post it.

Thanks for the help

Ian
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition
6 REPLIES 6

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible that a branch or some other object caused a small rip in your roof. I'd check the area very carefully for any small slices which would allow water in and lead to rot and soft spots in your roofing material. I discovered a very small slice in my rubber roof last spring. I caught it early enough and just put a patch over it.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
One way to look at it is they use rubber to make swimming pools and fish ponds. That is what you have.

As long as there is no seam or punctures (i.e. vent stack) you should be OK. I sure would keep an eye on it though.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture.

ianmac23 wrote:
Hello

I need advise on my 2011 Keystone Passport. Over the weekend when I was up on the roof I noticed a depression in the roof. It is the size of a football and goes down a quarter of an inch. I don't think there is a leak there. It is surrounded by was feels like good wood. It is not around anything like a sky light. What should I do? I do have an extended warranty that does not seem to pay for anything. I have a picture but do not remember how to post it.

Thanks for the help

Ian
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
ianmac23 wrote:

How do I post a picture? Thanks again

Go HERE
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
dcg9381 wrote:
Post a photo. If it's soft, it's a problem.
Typically keystone's roofs are OSB, which doesn't handle water well. A typical repair would be to remove the existing roof covering, replace the OSB and any damage, replace the roof covering. This is expensive.

Less expensive is patching the roof.

Last, there are new roof products like this:
http://rv-armor.com/index.html

They generally cost 1/3-1/2 as much as a new roof.

How do I post a picture? Thanks again

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Post a photo. If it's soft, it's a problem.
Typically keystone's roofs are OSB, which doesn't handle water well. A typical repair would be to remove the existing roof covering, replace the OSB and any damage, replace the roof covering. This is expensive.

Less expensive is patching the roof.

Last, there are new roof products like this:
http://rv-armor.com/index.html

They generally cost 1/3-1/2 as much as a new roof.