cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rude campers to the extreme

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
So, we are at Lake George RV Park, N.Y. and had group of campers that were loud two nights in a row. First night I told them they should move their fire away from our camper, midnight. Second night, I went out and almost verbatim told them their conversations for the past half hour. Guy says that I should wear earplugs to bed. I then said you are annoying me and my family, so I will do the same. I started my truck and angled the high beams directly into their group.
About then the on duty manager shows up and apologizes to the group for having to respond to a complaint!
Long story short, we moved to a different site today, screwed up our days plans and we weren't in the wrong! Our new site is much tighter, but surrounded by other respectful campers. I never thought I wouldbe forced to move but they left us with no choice. Ok, rant over.
83 REPLIES 83

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Leggy, I don't think "rude people are accepted here.". Your second explanation showed you tried to work with the staff but it did not work. Being told to use earplugs would have made almost all of us furious. Your response was probably knee jerk, especially since you had your family with you. I would not have trusted jerks not to be crazy also and could be dangerous. Most of us would tell you that while things like this happen once in awhile, it is rare so have an amazing experience next time.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there are quiet hours posted then that means no noise should travel off the campsite. If so, first ask to quiet it down. If that doesn't work contact the host or office personnel. No need to act on your own.

We volunteered in public parks a lot and we had to ask many campers to keep it quiet during proper hours. Most complied.

Radios are a big issue. Sometimes you have no idea how far the noise is traveling and it depends on winds, too.

Firepits? If the park's stationary pit is too close to the neighbor there's really nothing that can be done. You can't move the pit to wherever you want. That was an error on the park construction. However, if you know the pit is too close to the neighbor and you know the smoke is blowing his way, common sense would be to be considerate.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree that we need to stand up for our rights, but that does not mean wrong behavior. Rangers are happy to handle this type of problem, they do it all the time.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Crowe wrote:
Quiet hours does not mean go to bed in my book.

Agree with you in principle but it also doesn't mean loud, drunken behavior is acceptable. Also agree that steps should be taken prior to acting out. Yes, as stated in another thread I have gotten "revenge" in the a.m. but dropping a bag of tent poles or something of that nature is a far cry from what the OP did.

I think the larger issue is expectations, Does one expect silence or is hearing people talking,Not yelling and scream acceptable?
If I go to Frontiertowne,Bethpage,Travel L Va beach, Any of the big 3 in Myrtle Beach and a few of the Jersey Shore CG's I don't expect silence, I know there will be some partying going on.

What is more disturbing is this whole idea of revenge...It seems to be a troubling trend.
The idea that somehow I must get even is asad statement for our society. What a dog eat dog world we have become.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I came back from fishing one time and the neighbor had parked his motorcycle under my awning in front of my entrance. He said he didn't think I would mind and thought I was being unreasonable when I asked him to move it. Later that day the same group started running their jet skis up to us when we were fishing and trying to drench us. We left and haven't been back.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Quiet hours does not mean go to bed in my book.

Agree with you in principle but it also doesn't mean loud, drunken behavior is acceptable. Also agree that steps should be taken prior to acting out. Yes, as stated in another thread I have gotten "revenge" in the a.m. but dropping a bag of tent poles or something of that nature is a far cry from what the OP did.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
OP while I feel your pain. You were out of bounds. As long as there CG's there will be people up late around the camp fire. Some will be louder than others but it comes with the territory
If they violate quiet hours inform management. If management does not respond you may have a a civil (no attitude conversation with offending group).
If you still get no satisfaction complain to management in the morning and consider moving your site. Quiet hours does not mean go to bed in my book.
Ultimately management will decide what quiet is by there actions. You can agree or disagree. Turning on your high beams is just plain wrong and a foolish way to handle the situation. Luckily things did not escalate

I also would not expect total peace and quiet at a Lake George CG during peak season.If you are not prepared to encounter the public, boondock or choose CG that have larger more spread out sites where peace and quite is more of a sure thing.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
leggy wrote:
In rereading my post, we did talk to staff after the first night, the security did stop and tell them to turn off the radio. I did tell them nicely the first night that it was too much, too late and we had a baby trying to sleep. The second night I again tried nicely, but I had enough when I was told to wear earplugs.
We were not told to move, we opted because management was unable to handle the situation. Again, seems even here the rude people are accepted.
Your getting hammered and so the story changes :H

This sums it up:
I started my truck and angled the high beams directly into their group.

Long story short, we moved to a different site today, screwed up our days plans and we weren't in the wrong!
Didn't your momma ever tell you 2 wrongs don't make a right?

Just another useless rant post.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
JohnG3 wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
Here's where I get called out for flaming....I have become tired of civility as a response to ignorance. I don't suffer fools and I don't validate or enable bad behavior either. I would have done as the op did....but only after management failed its' responsibility to uphold peace.

There was a post last week on a similar theme. One member posted a well written response to all the "suffer through the obnoxious behaviour" and don't make waves segment. That post basically stated that when you do not bring their bad/rude/bothersome actions to the violators attention, you are giving them permission to continue their offensive actions.

So what is over the top bad behaviour and what is an excessive response? That is an individual's decision. All are entitled to their opinion of another's reactions.

There is a big difference between "start your truck and turn on your high beams at midnight because some other campers were talking too loud" and "suffer through the obnoxious behavior and don't make waves". I think most people here would have cheered the OP on if he hadn't resorted to a childish action that escalated the issue (mostly by becoming a problem camper himself to others in the campground).

I am a firm believer for stand up for your rights, don't let others walk all over you, etc., but I don't believe that one bad behavior should be responded to with another bad behavior.

Agree, Didn't go far enough with the post.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
JohnG3 wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
Here's where I get called out for flaming....I have become tired of civility as a response to ignorance. I don't suffer fools and I don't validate or enable bad behavior either. I would have done as the op did....but only after management failed its' responsibility to uphold peace.

There was a post last week on a similar theme. One member posted a well written response to all the "suffer through the obnoxious behaviour" and don't make waves segment. That post basically stated that when you do not bring their bad/rude/bothersome actions to the violators attention, you are giving them permission to continue their offensive actions.

So what is over the top bad behaviour and what is an excessive response? That is an individual's decision. All are entitled to their opinion of another's reactions.

There is a big difference between "start your truck and turn on your high beams at midnight because some other campers were talking too loud" and "suffer through the obnoxious behavior and don't make waves". I think most people here would have cheered the OP on if he hadn't resorted to a childish action that escalated the issue (mostly by becoming a problem camper himself to others in the campground).

I am a firm believer for stand up for your rights, don't let others walk all over you, etc., but I don't believe that one bad behavior should be responded to with another bad behavior.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbitschura wrote:

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
captnjack wrote:
intheburbs wrote:
Loud, obnoxious campers at a NY campground. Who'da thunk it?

I was also at a Lake George campground very recently. You could hear a pin drop.

Rudeness knows no geographical boundaries.

True about the rudeness. I camp in CT frequently and have the same "But why do you act sillier here than in your backyard " moments from time to time. Fooled some of my fellow campers by driving around in a rental car with Ohio plates last trip. Had them perplexed;).

Where did you camp at LG and what time of year if you don't mind my asking?

Lake George Camping Resort less than two weeks ago.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
GoDogs:

Exactly...

So many people here are either utterly afraid of their own shadow or are so utterly inadequate when it comes to dealing with others I wonder how they ever manage to leave their house and survive.

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
It always cracks me up when people go to a public place and encounter the PUBLIC! Anyone that has dealt with the public,,(retail sales, health care workers, bus drivers, etc.) will tell you that there will ALWAYS be the people that are rude, and inconsiderate.
You had better learn to deal with it. OR, go boondocking or stay home.
The OP was not being brave, nor successfully making a point. He was being the same kind of rude, inconsiderate person that he was complaining about.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The OP did what ... probably ... most of us WISH we had the guts to do but don't because we live by civilized rules, or else we are just too da** afraid of confritation and reprocussions. Darn... i wish i had the nerve to respond the way the OP did. Guess I'm just too chicken or just too old now to throw a good punch!

You SHOULD be old enough to know better.

Sometimes civility means staying uninjured or alive. A rowdy, drunken group of people should NOT be provoked. Sound like you could potentially be a candidate for a Darwin award.

OP, what's the REAL story? You've told 2 different versions which leads me to believe it never really happened.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]